Seabass promises PES 2011 'overhaul'

Bleeders

I much prefer the way it's setup this year with the player names above each player, and freed up space at the bottom of the screen. To a passer by, removing all the player name blocks at the bottom make the whole game look much more realistic.

But if you're playing multiplayer it's much easier to have the controller number above the player's heads instead. I just think it would be nice to have the option for the names at the bottom.

But if you're playing multiplayer it's much easier to have the controller number above the player's heads instead. I just think it would be nice to have the option for the names at the bottom.

Yeah I've never known why PES always skimps on the options - it would make a lot of people so much happier since a lot of PES's flaws could easily be ironed out with simple options and adjustments. Then again, I suppose the flaws should not be there in the first place :doh:

Shame that it's passed with barely a whimper, it's the best in the series for a few years.

Agreed. I'm loving it too (well, the Winning Eleven equivalent). The default game speed felt a bit sluggish, though, so I bumped it up to +1. It feels perfect now. Great balance between realism and arcade-style play.

The player selection thing made me concede a few goals, so it's good to hear they've fixed that. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Agreed. I'm loving it too (well, the Winning Eleven equivalent). The default game speed felt a bit sluggish, though, so I bumped it up to +1. It feels perfect now.

Post patch the default speed is even faster, in fact, it looks ridiculous at times. I've have to bump it down to -1 because it was just too fast and hectic.

The biggest improvement is the closing down of wing play by the AI. The jog bug is now gone from what I played of the two games last night and the CPU is very aggresssive in tackling and blocking the cross, so it now really pays to get early first-time balls in to the box. The player switching I'm still not sure of , I *think* it has improved some but I need more games with it to see if those 'for fuck's SAKE' moments of conceding a goal because you lost control of a player at the vital time still happen. The game did feel more responsive, though, tighter with less button lag. All in all, it's still a scatty game, it will be cruising along just fine and then have two minutes of absolute out-of-control madness where nothing works or makes sense.

I still like it.

The penalties can suck a dick though.

Installed it last night and then manually had to add all my edited image files back into the game files. Didn't do it right, so now every team without an official kit plays in default PES colours of light blue shirts and black shorts and socks :facepalm:

Anyway, had a few games and there seems to be a definite improvement. As mentioned above the game feels indefinably tighter, the player switching has improved though is still not perfect all the time. the biggest difference for me was the defensive pressing seems much more intelligent and it's become easier to press the opposition higher up the pitch, rather then really having to sit back.

Overall well pleased apart from my fail with the kits...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting this if I can get a cheap copy for something to play over the Christmas Period with my brothers. Is there any noticeable differences with the PS3 and Xbox versions? Also, anyone know anywhere that might be selling it cheapish?

I don't think there is meant to be much difference.

You can get it at thehut.com for £18 right now. It's usually £18 when zavvi or play.com when they do their Monday sales if you trust them more.

Cheers, £18 seems fair enough and worth the gamble.

• 3 months later...

Hello?

Helloooooo?

Anybody in here?

Remember the January transfer window? Y'know, that exciting time when Torres joined Chelsea and Liverpool paid too much for the talented but Boyzone loving, Andy Carroll? Well, Konami are on the ball with an update with those transfers from a month and a half ago. Better late than never, eh?

This announcement is for the two other people on here who bought this surprisingly decent version of Pro Evo.

I found the player stuttering +1 speed bug the other day, I thought my controller was busted.

Who am I talking to?

I liked this at first but I've gone off it dramatically over the last month or so. There are a few nice touches but it just seems so fractured and disjointed - initially I just put this down to my unfamiliarity with it but the more I play it the more I dislike it. We often have 6-player Pro sessions and very rarely do matches feature over 2 goals - it's seemingly impossible to go on a decent dribble with anyone but the very best players and scoring from one-on-ones seems to happen once in a blue moon.

Usually it takes a little while to transition from one game to the other but it's just not happening. We've now gone back to Pro '09 - it's scatty and daft at times but at least you can get an entertaining game out of it. Plus it means a return to penalties that can actually be scored, names at the bottom of the screen, and the pentagon-graph things (I don't know what they're called). Old-school Pro.

This is pretty much the only console game I've played for the past couple of months...although I've been playing less than usual in general. Also playing this every lunch break against people.

It still offers a lot more variation than FIFA. FIFA gets samey but PES ... <3

I'm still playing PES6 on PS2. I'd probably have moved on to a newer game if it wasn't for one of my flatmates being equally as dedicated to it as I've been past for the past few years. It's at the stage where we almost treat it like a role-playing game, talking about "which club are you going to manage next?" (i.e. which team are you going to start a ML with next) and building up a mythology around certain players and past glories. All this spills over into normal conversation with him, so in the pub last week I was casually telling him that if I won the treble with Livorno that season I'd consider going into international management (i.e. start an International Challenge), "depending on what offers came my way". :facepalm:

As for how it plays now: obviously having eight directions for movement seems like a major limitation after you've played newer football games, but the dribbling feels much more satisfying, and you can take the ball around players to a more realistic degree. There also seems to be more variation in the kinds of goals you can score, though having not played 11 for more than twenty or so hours I might be wrong about that.

I'm still playing PES6 on PS2.

I'd have probably done the same but it's a hassle getting the PS2 out, and it is nice being able to play 6 player without fannying around with multitaps. Tell you what I do miss though, the random select - where you choose a few teams each and the computer picks a squad at random out of them. We used to do a shit Premier League teams All-star game - like Marvel vs Capcom in football form. Can't believe it hasn't been included in any game since.

Even though Pro Evo 3 was better than 2, nothing has come close to France v Holland on the second one. Two evenly matched sides - but not carbon copies of each other - who weren't perfect meant we'd have incredible matches amongst my mates.

Even though Pro Evo 3 was better than 2, nothing has come close to France v Holland on the second one. Two evenly matched sides - but not carbon copies of each other - who weren't perfect meant we'd have incredible matches amongst my mates.

Pro Evo 3 was Benny Hill mode - which makes it unplayable for me. Pro Evo 5 was the hay day :)

Pro Evo 3 was Benny Hill mode - which makes it unplayable for me. Pro Evo 5 was the hay day :)

5 was too unbalanced, was one of the first versions where you had the superhuman teams you just couldn't do anything against.

I had some really good (local) multiplayer games yesterday, it is definitely one the best Pro Evos for years. It’s a flawed gem, riddled with niggling problems, though. Let me moan about some of them here!

The animations still need sorting. I saw the comedy front somersault dive nearly every time a slide tackle connected and it’s utterly bizarre looking. Goalkeepers do not dive properly and this has massive consequences on how they perform. It takes an age for some players to get the ball under control after receiving a pass and this can make the game feel really unresponsive as you jam buttons and nothing happens. The amount of throw ins conceded every match because of this is stupid and unrealistic.

AI scripting, or as I like to call it, “This fucking game just does what it likes” is still really annoying and ever present. Crippling my player control does not even things up, it is just plain unfair. When the CPU wants a goal or wants to level a match you can see it from space. Your players will lose every 50/50 challenge, top strikers will hit the post and crossbar even in open goal situations and a simple 10 feet pass will be made by someone who now resembles the asthma kid who smelled of the green paper towels at school. Opposition players will move on fast forward, unnaturally sped up animations and all, as they play Harlem Globetrotters around you as you go, ‘Herp-derp’. I know this has been in every Pro Evo ever but, Christ, could they at least disguise it and try to fool me for once?

Good luck getting decent shot away under pressure, too. Moon physics seem to switch on at random moments like with defensive clearances (for some reason usually when players are facing their own goal) or tight angled shots.

What was the other really annoying thing?

Oh yeah.

2ekozm1.jpg

But despite these faults and many other things it’s still loads of fun. The sweeping counter-attacking play, the space on the pitch that allows a more considered build up and the goals you can score, oh my. A Rooney effort yesterday was an incredible shot from a teed up free kick that stayed about a foot high off the ground, travelling at about 80mph with the slightest of spin until it hit the back of the net. It was so good I nearly ripped my top off and span it around my head like Ryan Giggs in 1999 against Arsenal, but there were children in the room and, well, y'know.