Seabass promises PES 2011 'overhaul'

Bleeders

Seriously, why the replays. Every. Single. Time?!

Better than it has been in previous years, I'll give PES that. I'm not keen on the flow of the game, feels a little stilted as some have mentioned already.

The replays are annoying. Can't agree on the flow of the game though. The AI is spot on and the way they act to situations feels good. Animations are clunky, but apart from that I enjoyed it more than most footy games this gen.

Its interesting the comments on this PES being stiff and stilted, i would agree the animations/transitions much less smoove compared to FIFA, and FIFA generally comes across better in videos.

I've been playing the PES demo since last week thanks to plus, and I downloaded the FIFA demo last night. there is a big difference between the two; to me PES feels tight, like Fry Crayola said earlier, while dribbling you have complete control over every touch, I completely agree. playing FIFA was quite jarring cos it just felt so loose and and players felt weightless, players feel like they're gliding over the pitch.

Also, my first match in the PES demo on professional was a 0-0 draw (in a 10 minute game), my first match on the FIFA demo on the hardest option I won 3-2, in a 3 minute a half match!

I just think that while FIFA 'looks' better, PES plays better in almost every other way, and is much closer to the beautiful game. but then again I think the ps2 Pro Evos are still better then any of the FIFAs :P

Anyway as a PES fanboy since the PS1 days, I'm over the moon that we're getting a good one again, so i'll be there day 1. I look forward to playing some of you PSN! So whos getting this and what system?

playing FIFA was quite jarring cos it just felt so loose and and players felt weightless, players feel like they're gliding over the pitch.

Yes!

I tried to articulate that in the FIFA thread and didn't do so well, but that is exactly what it feels like to me. I've been buying Pro Evo since number 3 (and the SNES ISS games if they count), and even though I enjoyed the FIFA 10 and 11 demos, they still don't feel right to me. I know everyone hated PES 08-10, but I still found the core gameplay of PES10 (despite its undoubted flaws) to be more precise, satisfying and weighty than FIFA.

That said, this is the first year I'm seriously pondering buying both, if only for all the other great stuff FIFA offers as part of a package as well as playing a far better game of football than it used to.

I echo the sentiment about PES hopefully returning to form. We've been due a good one for a while.

I am also pleasantly surprised by this - it is a massive improvement from the previous game. It still carries some of those legacy problems that have dogged the series for years such as the stiffness and awkward, although slightly smoother this time around, animations. The response times that killed last year’s game have been massively reduced so I no longer feel I’m fighting for the players to do something as the ball bounces harmlessly off their shins.

There is a steep learning curve with the passing because it is such a departure from what I expect from PES. Being able to play passes into space rather than just to feet or slightly ahead of a player opens up the game and takes away most of the rails you are used to. Shooting is less ‘Paul Scholes thunderbolt’ every time as you need to consider body position, angle, speed and, of course, player skill more than before. The ball is no longer a stupidly heavy marble so that helps makes the shots look realistic with *gasp* curl. The long range shooting accuracy with star players was almost game-breaking at times in 2010 but not here, thankfully.

The reason I’ve always rated PES, until recently anyway, was because of those unique random moments that don’t get duplicated from match to match. My first goal on this was an early first time cross from Iniesta, finished with an exemplary edge-of-the-box volley from Busquets right in the top corner - it was magic. I know that I won’t score a goal even similar to that over the course of tens of games. I like every game to feel different and now that horribly predictable scenario of giving the ball to Messi to take it round half the team and the keeper from his own half is gone, my brother can suck it and prepare to start losing again.

This game is on a hiding to nothing, Konami have fucked off most of the fans with three bad (four if you count PES 6 on 360) games this gen so I can't say I'm surprised at the lack of interest and general apathy for its release. But against all odds, 'Seabass promises PES 2011 overhaul' and for once he has, mostly, delivered.

Can anyone please give me a basic explanation on how the Master League is going to be implemented online ?

After playing both demos I feel the winner is us the fans and I for one will be getting both. My problem is I am a bit competitive when it comes to online matches thus I am not sure which one to focus / specialize in as you can't become good at both at the same time or can you ? Ponders

Can anyone please give me a basic explanation on how the Master League is going to be implemented online ?

After playing both demos I feel the winner is us the fans and I for one will be getting both. My problem is I am a bit competitive when it comes to online matches thus I am not sure which one to focus / specialize in as you can't become good at both at the same time or can you ? Ponders

Master League online, you pick a team and you start with the default players, Minanda, Ximeles, Castolo, etc. You have a pot of money which increases with wins and decreases with losses. You can buy and sell your players for their current market value. Only the default players will never change their market value.

The other players market value goes up depending on how many people buy them. I don't know how much the values are at the minute, but say Messi is 50m. The first person to buy him will pay 50m, the 100th may pay 60m, 1000th 80m or whatever. But say Ronaldo is 50m and noone buys him, his value will drop.

It's pretty simple really. You can enter quick matches or competitions. More money is gained from competitions apparently. Eventually, many people will have mental teams, but each player also has a wage, which means the better your team the more matches you'll have to win to stay afloat. If you run out of money you can reset back to the default players again with the measly balance you start with.

Master League online, you pick a team and you start with the default players, Minanda, Ximeles, Castolo, etc. You have a pot of money which increases with wins and decreases with losses. You can buy and sell your players for their current market value. Only the default players will never change their market value.

The other players market value goes up depending on how many people buy them. I don't know how much the values are at the minute, but say Messi is 50m. The first person to buy him will pay 50m, the 100th may pay 60m, 1000th 80m or whatever. But say Ronaldo is 50m and noone buys him, his value will drop.

It's pretty simple really. You can enter quick matches or competitions. More money is gained from competitions apparently. Eventually, many people will have mental teams, but each player also has a wage, which means the better your team the more matches you'll have to win to stay afloat. If you run out of money you can reset back to the default players again with the measly balance you start with.

Brilliant Chin, thanks for that it sounds very good. Definitely getting both games now.

Well this is better from Konami. Just had an extended bash on both this and FIFA11. PES is still nowhere near as fluid as FIFA both in terms of animation and game engine, but it is much better than the last few years of PES. There is a coherence to PES that's slowly vanishing from FIFA, too much time is spent pressing and getting bogged down in midfield battles for control of possession. By contrast you've more time on the ball in PES which allows you time to think, the passing is crisp and accurate and a combination of the two enables you to play a good game of football. The ranged shooting, unfortunately, seems hopelessly overpowered - I scored twice with Messi in the space of a few minutes, once with my back to goal from about thirty yards.

Will have to spend a bit more time with both but I found myself contemplating picking up PES for the first time in years.

Surprised at how little attention this is getting.

Actually, no. No I'm not. PES has been utter shite for years, so everyone's moved over to FIFA. I get it.

2011 is actually really bloody good, though. I tried the latest FIFA demo the other day, but PES 2011 plays a much better game of footy IMHO. The new passing system is awesome!

Really looking forward to the full game now.

Really? I don't know. Maybe it's because I've never owned a FIFA game, but I didn't get on with the floaty feel of the demo. There didn't seem to be any weight to the players, if that makes any sense.

Also, I still like playing with the D-pad so FIFA's default analogue setup felt really weird.

Maybe I'll give it another go, but I'm really enjoying the new PES.

Well this is better from Konami. Just had an extended bash on both this and FIFA11. PES is still nowhere near as fluid as FIFA both in terms of animation and game engine, but it is much better than the last few years of PES. There is a coherence to PES that's slowly vanishing from FIFA, too much time is spent pressing and getting bogged down in midfield battles for control of possession. By contrast you've more time on the ball in PES which allows you time to think, the passing is crisp and accurate and a combination of the two enables you to play a good game of football. The ranged shooting, unfortunately, seems hopelessly overpowered - I scored twice with Messi in the space of a few minutes, once with my back to goal from about thirty yards.

Will have to spend a bit more time with both but I found myself contemplating picking up PES for the first time in years.

I always say this, but wait a month and it'll halve in price from Game/GS. They always over-order.

Surprised at how little attention this is getting.

Actually, no. No I'm not. PES has been utter shite for years, so everyone's moved over to FIFA. I get it.

2011 is actually really bloody good, though. I tried the latest FIFA demo the other day, but PES 2011 plays a much better game of footy IMHO. The new passing system is awesome!

Really looking forward to the full game now.

Really? I only just got the demo. I've not tried it yet.

Oh, I'm so undecided!

It's really different! Get this - controlling most players doesn't feel like you're driving a tank underwater anymore. They can actually turn with the ball now! Hurrah!

If it doesn't click in the beginning, give it time. The manual passing can take a little getting used to. It's really clicked with me, though.

I almost want to throw my copy of 2010 in the bin now. Piece of shite.

2010 wasn't that bad - I'd say it was an improvement on the previous HD versions. Certainly the sound effects for striking the ball from distance and hitting the post were better than this year's. But it's vastly improved in other departments.

As others have said, you get more time on the ball, and you feel less pressured in possession than in the higher-tempo FIFA. It's La Liga to FIFA's Premier League.

Well.

I found this to be horrible. The easiest way to sum up would be that Iniesta looks Chinese and the shooting is as if they want to balloon it all the time.

What I found most hilarious were the feature video after the game. Did anyone quite get the point of the spinning "online logo" for the online master league? Ohhh! It's a logo! Spinning! And theres lots of games going on! Watch that, feel it. Yeah...

Then the customisable options, where we see pumpkin head celebrating with pink cowboy hat man, and easter island man missing a header...that was a giant sweet.

Holy shit it was brilliant. If it was a pisstake.

FIFA wins again.

It seems that where EA learned from their mistakes, and drafted in a new, dynamic, commited team, Konami fall back of TunaFish to keep making the same game...yet actually worse than before.

I'm still enjoying the PES 2011 demo. Unlike FIFA, every game feels different to play depending on who is on form, what formations you use, and really forcing you to try new things to break through and score. FIFA is fun but it's more like just being better at twitch gaming than the other guy. I'm not going to be stupid and get this on day one for full price but I'm enjoying it more than FIFA.

Without a doubt, FIFA is the better game but that's all it is. PES is the beautiful game.

Well.

I found this to be horrible. The easiest way to sum up would be that Iniesta looks Chinese and the shooting is as if they want to balloon it all the time.

What I found most hilarious were the feature video after the game. Did anyone quite get the point of the spinning "online logo" for the online master league? Ohhh! It's a logo! Spinning! And theres lots of games going on! Watch that, feel it. Yeah...

Then the customisable options, where we see pumpkin head celebrating with pink cowboy hat man, and easter island man missing a header...that was a giant sweet.

Holy shit it was brilliant. If it was a pisstake.

FIFA wins again.

It seems that where EA learned from their mistakes, and drafted in a new, dynamic, commited team, Konami fall back of TunaFish to keep making the same game...yet actually worse than before.

sorry but thats a weak post, can't you come up with any better criticisms than Iniesta looking Chinese, and you don't know how to shoot? Your criticism of the trailer is bizzarre as well, do those extra features bother you that much? really?

FIFA will always win. it looks better/smoother, and it's more immediate and much easier to play and score, anyone can pick up the game and have a good time cos theres hardly any learning curve. Pro is not easy to get into, i'm a pro evo veteran and it took me many games for 2011 to click, and before it did i wasn't feeling it all that much. not many people are gonna give it more than 3 games to declare it shit.

To me, Pro 11 feels much closer to the real game than FIFA.

The pitch in FIFA is way too small, it just looks silly to me, Pro's is much wider and spacier.

THe Players animate better in FIFA, and it looks nice in vids. but they feel completely weightless during play, turning so quickly and skating over the pitch. Pro's animation is not as good, and it doesnt come off well in vids, but the players feel like they have weight to them, there's a gradual acceleration to their runs, and they feel like they're actually making contact with the floor when dribbling/turning.

Shooting has always been shit in FIFA imo, feels like kicking those foam balls i used to play with in primary school, floaty, slow and weightless. Pro's shooting is'nt perfect either, but again its much better than FIFA's to me. Theres a speed and weight to shots in Pro that FIFA (always imo) lacked (it requires space and timing to get right though - not easy).

FIFA is a quality product, no doubt about it, but it ain't football. it just seems to me that people see better animation = more realistic simulation of the sport. i don't see it that way though. FIFA is pure end to end, spectacular tricks and 3-3 draws in a 3 minute demo. PES is slow build up, more tension, 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 scores in a 10 minute demo. It feels more like the real thing.

FIFA has always outsold PES anyway, people clearly favour licenses/presentation over actual representaion of the sport. It was like that when FIFA was shit and PES was good. I just feel that PES is one of those games that your gonna hate until it clicks, and it aint gonna click until you put time into it, which in a way is lose/lose for them, but that's how Pro's always been. i for one am very happy they've gone back to that philosophy after the last few tragic years.

to me, your criticisms sound like someone coming from burnout and calling gran turismo shit cos its harder to corner, and the damage doesn't look as good.

sorry but thats a weak post, can't you come up with any better criticisms than Iniesta looking Chinese, and you don't know how to shoot? Your criticism of the trailer is bizzarre as well, do those extra features bother you that much? really?

FIFA will always win. it looks better/smoother, and it's more immediate and much easier to play and score, anyone can pick up the game and have a good time cos theres hardly any learning curve. Pro is not easy to get into, i'm a pro evo veteran and it took me many games for 2011 to click, and before it did i wasn't feeling it all that much. not many people are gonna give it more than 3 games to declare it shit.

The pitch in FIFA is way too small, it just looks silly to me, Pro's is much wider and spacier.

THe Players animate better in FIFA, and it looks nice in vids. but they feel completely weightless during play, turning so quickly and skating over the pitch. Pro's animation is not as good, and it doesnt come off well in vids, but the players feel like they have weight to them, there's a gradual acceleration to their runs, and they feel like they're actually making contact with the floor when dribbling/turning.

Shooting has always been shit in FIFA imo, feels like kicking those foam balls i used to play with in primary school, floaty, slow and weightless. Pro's shooting is'nt perfect either, but again its much better than FIFA's to me. Theres a speed and weight to shots in Pro that FIFA (always imo) lacked (it requires space and timing to get right though - not easy).

FIFA is a quality product, no doubt about it, but it ain't football. it just seems to me that people see better animation = more realistic simulation of the sport. i don't see it that way though. FIFA is pure end to end, spectacular tricks and 3-3 draws in a 3 minute demo. PES is slow build up, more tension, 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 scores in a 10 minute demo. It feels more like the real thing.

FIFA has always outsold PES anyway, people clearly favour licenses/presentation over actual representaion of the sport. It was like that when FIFA was shit and PES was good. I just feel that PES is one of those games that your gonna hate until it clicks, and it aint gonna click until you put time into it, which in a way is lose/lose for them, but that's how Pro's always been. i for one am very happy they've gone back to that philosophy after the last few tragic years.

to me, your criticisms sound like someone coming from burnout and calling gran turismo shit cos its harder to corner, and the damage doesn't look as good.

Hello Seriously. I am your friend.

EDIT: Didn't want Seriously's post to get lost on an old page.

Good post, I'm with you all the way. Glad there aren't only 2 PES believers on this forum left! (Chin, I'm thinking of you here)

Boring thing to say, but it's all about opinions, Fifa to me is just utter bollocks, never understood the love but I appreciate the fact people like it, and I also appreciate that PES has been shit since 6 (single player is awful, I admit).

This version takes a lot of play time, it is not perfect by any means. but it is fun and in my opinion the best footie game this gen based purely on the demo. The depth appears to be present and whilst it's not quite up to the "old gen classic" standard, it's certainly coming close.

I think 2012 will be the one. Think I've said that for a few years now but.............

You've wasted a lot of words there man to say "blah blah".

There's little point in picking through the horrible, arcadey, nevergonnachange PES as no doubt you'll go "Oh no isnt!" and I'll shout "It's behind you" ad nausea.

I hope you get that rather crude wordplay because PES is actually pretty poor and laughable.

Be blind to the faults, but don't spend your life writing out Konami love letters on a forum where it's not going to matter.

I'd say your post is the worst thing I've ever read, except it was even worse than that because I've not read it.