Seabass promises PES 2011 'overhaul'

Bleeders

Disciple is a very angry person.

It was mostly in jest/I'd just watch Will Ferrell so decided it was apt. ;)

(However he did write a lot, tl;dr)

:D

[oh and I used to be pure PES, but the FIFA team did amazingly well and turned it around. Where's the PES 10v10 or 11v11 mode? That's simply amazing]

FIFA is a quality product, no doubt about it, but it ain't football. it just seems to me that people see better animation = more realistic simulation of the sport. i don't see it that way though. FIFA is pure end to end, spectacular tricks and 3-3 draws in a 3 minute demo.

I don't know how you're getting 3-3 draws, I can barely score in the FIFA demo. I thought it was easier to score in the PES demo.

I don't know how you're getting 3-3 draws, I can barely score in the FIFA demo. I thought it was easier to score in the PES demo.

Damn straight, on whatever the average difficulty is I scored 7 on my first game on the PES demo, although I think some of that is that you get a lot more space outside the box to shoot from range whereas in FIFA for the last few years I find I get closed down unbelieveably quickly or shots are blocked (and that you get much longer time wise in the pro evo demo).

Most of the stuff that's listed in Seriously's post is just the normal counter thats used for FIFA though (basketball scores, floaty balls ets) where to me the fact is that now we're at a point where there are two good football games that do certain core things differently.

The REAL issue is the fact that they still can't, after what 5 versions? Get "next gen" Pro Evo to play as well as the PS2 version. Now that's criminal...

I've been playing the PES demo on proffessional difficulty, and FIFA on the hardest setting (when you choose at the beginning, forget what it's called). there were definately more goals scored in FIFA by both sides, and the matches are much shorter.

Disciple: # Posts: 52357

yeah ok mate :hat:

Nothing wrong with writing a love letter to pro evo on a saturday morning ;)

A post.

A point.

Succinct wins over waffle.

Hello, you bitchy cows! I still like it but further play does reveal its problems:

The referees are still a bit broken. They aren’t as broken as in 2010 but you will get pulled up all the time for seemingly fair challenges where the ball is won first, while mistimed slide tackles that cause the victim to perform cartoon somersaults are often unpunished. The game gets a bit stop-start with all these fair challenges racking up as free kicks.

There is a well known bug where you can jog down the wings with the ball unchallenged. This has been promised to be fixed for the full game and it sure needs to be because it’s a game breaker against the CPU.

When the ball ricochets off of players or between a melee of bodies, it zips away, accelerating at ridiculous speeds and often out of play.

There are times when it will pass into space when you want it to pass to feet or vice-versa. This depends, I think, on what day of the week it is or whether there is a full moon or whether it feels like cheating you most probably. Also, if a pass overshoots its intended target and ends up closer to another team mate it won’t switch to that player even if the intended recipient is now miles away. The ball will still bounce off of heels and shins too frequently because of this.

They have dialled back the speed of the dribbling too much. Being put clean through with ten yards between you and the nearest defender should mean a certain one-on-one with the keeper, unless you are controlling Jamie Carragher. I can see why they have done this, as for years it was all about giving the ball to the fastest player and holding sprint, but they have taken it too far. Sluggish defenders will gain ground on swift attackers with the pace of Tyson Gay.

8416607036a9808194773ml.jpg

"And that's not all..."

Challenging for a header from a long punted goal kick still involves two players standing motionless with no jostling.

Whoever thought that typeface in that colour with no borders should be used for the in-match option menus needs to be killed.

Side on penalties for fuck’s sake. Although they are easier to take this time, I’ll give them that.

If the ball drops to Abidal on the edge of the box and he decides to shoot, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t try to execute a, flying, scissor-kick volley.

Just got this, wont have the chance to play it till tomorrow though.

Quick question for anyone who's got it and it's only a minor/silly point. The back of the box says "Official Video Game Of The England Team" yet it has a screenshot of England playng in their old home kit (white shorts and shirts) has that been ammended since these shots were taken?

Just got this, wont have the chance to play it till tomorrow though.

Quick question for anyone who's got it and it's only a minor/silly point. The back of the box says "Official Video Game Of The England Team" yet it has a screenshot of England playng in their old home kit (white shorts and shirts) has that been ammended since these shots were taken?

How did you get it?! I don't think the kits would have changed but would expect it to be updated whenever the usual early update is rolled out.

I just ordered it from ShopTo today.

People send him stuff because his Dad does a podcast.

I'm looking forward to trying this out. The magic that PES5/6 brought to me on the PS2 has never been realised by any football game on the 360. I don't think FIFA will ever find it, so I live in hope and it sounds as if this is the best from Konami for quite some time - and we all know how much things can change from the demo to RTM, so it could get better still.

Oh shit.

This is good. REALLY good. played a quite a few games now and it just feels so good. Konami are no longer thinking of a more Arcade feel. This feels more like a simulation again and plays better for it. Passing feels like it's important, and more of a skill than anything else. Players make some interesting runs and move for the ball in a more natural way.

PES might actually be 'back' and although FIFA will still be well out in front, PES 2011 catches up out of nowhere like it's Wacky Races or some shit.

Impressed!

sorry but thats a weak post, can't you come up with any better criticisms than Iniesta looking Chinese, and you don't know how to shoot? Your criticism of the trailer is bizzarre as well, do those extra features bother you that much? really?

FIFA will always win. it looks better/smoother, and it's more immediate and much easier to play and score, anyone can pick up the game and have a good time cos theres hardly any learning curve. Pro is not easy to get into, i'm a pro evo veteran and it took me many games for 2011 to click, and before it did i wasn't feeling it all that much. not many people are gonna give it more than 3 games to declare it shit.

To me, Pro 11 feels much closer to the real game than FIFA.

The pitch in FIFA is way too small, it just looks silly to me, Pro's is much wider and spacier.

THe Players animate better in FIFA, and it looks nice in vids. but they feel completely weightless during play, turning so quickly and skating over the pitch. Pro's animation is not as good, and it doesnt come off well in vids, but the players feel like they have weight to them, there's a gradual acceleration to their runs, and they feel like they're actually making contact with the floor when dribbling/turning.

Shooting has always been shit in FIFA imo, feels like kicking those foam balls i used to play with in primary school, floaty, slow and weightless. Pro's shooting is'nt perfect either, but again its much better than FIFA's to me. Theres a speed and weight to shots in Pro that FIFA (always imo) lacked (it requires space and timing to get right though - not easy).

FIFA is a quality product, no doubt about it, but it ain't football. it just seems to me that people see better animation = more realistic simulation of the sport. i don't see it that way though. FIFA is pure end to end, spectacular tricks and 3-3 draws in a 3 minute demo. PES is slow build up, more tension, 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 scores in a 10 minute demo. It feels more like the real thing.

FIFA has always outsold PES anyway, people clearly favour licenses/presentation over actual representaion of the sport. It was like that when FIFA was shit and PES was good. I just feel that PES is one of those games that your gonna hate until it clicks, and it aint gonna click until you put time into it, which in a way is lose/lose for them, but that's how Pro's always been. i for one am very happy they've gone back to that philosophy after the last few tragic years.

to me, your criticisms sound like someone coming from burnout and calling gran turismo shit cos its harder to corner, and the damage doesn't look as good.

Seriously??

Oh shit.

This is good. REALLY good. played a quite a few games now and it just feels so good. Konami are no longer thinking of a more Arcade feel. This feels more like a simulation again and plays better for it. Passing feels like it's important, and more of a skill than anything else. Players make some interesting runs and move for the ball in a more natural way.

PES might actually be 'back' and although FIFA will still be well out in front, PES 2011 catches up out of nowhere like it's Wacky Races or some shit.

Impressed!

But is there room for both games in our lives? I suppose it could be like comparing Counter-strike to Quake III.

Playing online is going to be the key, I think. To be awesome you'd have to pick one, but if the online is fucked anyway then it's not as important. I don't suppose you can review the MP yet?

Some of the animation in PES is awful. And I've noticed so many AI issues it's not even funny. Last night I played a brilliant through ball, and as it left the passer's foot, the striker had a massive brain fart and decided to run away from the ball, only giving me control once he was far enough away not to be able to reach it before the defender.

They've even changed the noise it makes when you hit the post so it sounds like you're kicking it into a bale of hay or something rather than the satisfying CLANK of last year's game. I've played about twelve games now and while they've definitely made some changes, it's as inconsistent as it has been in recent years. And the match atmosphere is so far behind FIFA's it's embarrassing.

Hello, you bitchy cows! I still like it but further play does reveal its problems:

The referees are still a bit broken. They aren’t as broken as in 2010 but you will get pulled up all the time for seemingly fair challenges where the ball is won first, while mistimed slide tackles that cause the victim to perform cartoon somersaults are often unpunished. The game gets a bit stop-start with all these fair challenges racking up as free kicks.

There is a well known bug where you can jog down the wings with the ball unchallenged. This has been promised to be fixed for the full game and it sure needs to be because it’s a game breaker against the CPU.

When the ball ricochets off of players or between a melee of bodies, it zips away, accelerating at ridiculous speeds and often out of play.

There are times when it will pass into space when you want it to pass to feet or vice-versa. This depends, I think, on what day of the week it is or whether there is a full moon or whether it feels like cheating you most probably. Also, if a pass overshoots its intended target and ends up closer to another team mate it won’t switch to that player even if the intended recipient is now miles away. The ball will still bounce off of heels and shins too frequently because of this.

They have dialled back the speed of the dribbling too much. Being put clean through with ten yards between you and the nearest defender should mean a certain one-on-one with the keeper, unless you are controlling Jamie Carragher. I can see why they have done this, as for years it was all about giving the ball to the fastest player and holding sprint, but they have taken it too far. Sluggish defenders will gain ground on swift attackers with the pace of Tyson Gay.

8416607036a9808194773ml.jpg

"And that's not all..."

Challenging for a header from a long punted goal kick still involves two players standing motionless with no jostling.

Whoever thought that typeface in that colour with no borders should be used for the in-match option menus needs to be killed.

Side on penalties for fuck’s sake. Although they are easier to take this time, I’ll give them that.

If the ball drops to Abidal on the edge of the box and he decides to shoot, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t try to execute a, flying, scissor-kick volley.

Totally agree with all this. CPU opponents are incredibly obliging when it comes to letting you get a cross in. They actually pull out of trying to block your crosses. Not that they usually find the man because half the time you'll tap the button and the ball will whizz over everyone's head and out the other side for a throw-in. Either that, or it'll be a powder-puff effort to the near post which will be headed away by the first defender. Oh, unless your man makes a run to the near post, in which case he'll always attempt a scissor-kick which will fly miles over the bar.

But is there room for both games in our lives? I suppose it could be like comparing Counter-strike to Quake III.

Playing online is going to be the key, I think. To be awesome you'd have to pick one, but if the online is fucked anyway then it's not as important. I don't suppose you can review the MP yet?

It won't let me online with it yet.

Getting FIFA11 tonight so don't really know if there is room for both games in my life just yet. I wouldn't have thought there would be to be honest but Online Master League could change that if it plays well on the internets.

It won't let me online with it yet.

Getting FIFA11 tonight so don't really know if there is room for both games in my life just yet. I wouldn't have thought there would be to be honest but Online Master League could change that if it plays well on the internets.

could you maybe record your findings and share them with the rest of us in some kind of audio broadcast for ipod owners? A "podcast", if you will...

Seriously??

Yep. :)

edit: Gamereactor (whoever they are) agrees with me as well, so IN YOUR FACE! (I nicked this from some dude on another forum, so credit to the dude)

Here is the danish Gamereactor review for PES 2011. They gave it 9/10 and at the end he said this

PES 2011 is an excellent football game, which serves the most realistic football feeling ever. The developers have taken a bold choice by making the delivery system so manually, but once you've learned to master it, it hurt missing in other football games. Even if something is missing in relation to the presentation and career mode found in FIFA 11, it offers the most incredible and realistic football experience. Which in my case it is very important in a football game.

They gave FIFA 11 8/10 and they also compared to each other in a article

two fantastic sports games, which both have advantages and disadvantages compared to each other. FIFA 11 is a cracking good football alternative that flows well and is wrapped in shiny paper and confetti. It's perfect for Buddy gang during the Champions League nights, with its impressive, easy and accessible gameplay , although personally I'll stick to the fantastic game sense and realism we find in Pro Evolution Soccer the 2011

They'll both have their fans. No point in arguing about which is best, because they play so differently. Many people switched over to FIFA a few years ago and are now used to the free-flowing game of football it plays. That's cool. I doubt PES will ever pander to people who now enjoy FIFA.

I never switched, though. When PES started getting shit, I just stopped playing footy games altogether and moved on to other things (mostly away from gaming, but I digress). I had the opportunity to try out and compare both games for the first time this year, though, and I've decided that the new PES is definitely much more suited to my taste. Konami has fixed almost everything that I wanted them to fix, and radically changed a few things for the better.

Looks like both series' fans are in for a treat this time around. Good times! :)

They'll both have their fans. No point in arguing about which is best, because they play so differently. Many people switched over to FIFA a few years ago and are now used to the free-flowing game of football it plays. That's cool. I doubt PES will ever pander to people who now enjoy FIFA.

I never switched, though. When PES started getting shit, I just stopped playing footy games altogether and moved on to other things (mostly away from gaming, but I digress). I had the opportunity to try out and compare both games for the first time this year, though, and I've decided that the new PES is definitely much more suited to my taste. Konami has fixed almost everything that I wanted them to fix, and radically changed a few things for the better.

Looks like both series' fans are in for a treat this time around. Good times!

Same here, (well I did buy FIFA 09 when it was the only choice out there, but i got bored with it a few months in).

It's not even about which is best, cos as you say they do things differently. To those FIFA fanboys who can't accept that Pro is good again, get over it! It was intevitable, and next year will be even better.

For the first time ever, both FIFA and Pro are of top quality. Let's all be happy for each other.

Same here, (well I did buy FIFA 09 when it was the only choice out there, but i got bored with it a few months in).

It's not even about which is best, cos as you say they do things differently. To those FIFA fanboys who can't accept that Pro is good again, get over it! It was intevitable, and next year will be even better.

For the first time ever, both FIFA and Pro are of top quality. Let's all be happy for each other.

What about Pro Evo fanboys who can't accept that Pro is good again?

seanr.gif

Are you honestly saying the only reason people are still saying this is quite poor is FIFA fanboy delusion? That's ridiculous. Equally as pathetically, someone could say the only reason you're praising it so much is fanboy delusion. Do you see where this is going? That's right, nowhere. Before 2008, 99% of this forum's members were backing PES all the way, the change to FIFA proves that there is no brand loyalty to speak of. I'd wager that most would be just as willing to switch back if they could see a compelling reason to do so.

I felt that the demo was really bad, it has all the problems that I've found inhibited my enjoyment (Compared to FIFA) for the last 3 years. That Edge review sums it up for me quite neatly. If you can enjoy it, then great, gaming is about having fun and one shouldn't really care where another finds it. Just don't play the 'fanboy' card, it makes you look very immature.