Seabass promises PES 2011 'overhaul'

Bleeders

Played what must have been the finished or at least close to final version yesterday at the Eurogamer Expo. Quick match against the CPU United versus City.

The game speed was a tad quicker than before but I forgot to go into the menu to see if had been bumped up by +1 or +2. Player movement was much more fluid in comparison to the demo, the animations still have stiffness but the effect has been reduced. There were far fewer niggly fouls going on throughout the match, which pleased me greatly. The passing was crisper and more precise although perhaps not as 'free' or loose like the demo. Shooting resulted in punchier weighty shots more often with less of that strange, floaty, balloon physics thing going on. I only managed to squeeze in one game before letting the next person in the queue try it, until I turned around and realised that there was no queue and everyone was playing Fifa.

Pro Evo is a good game this year and about bloody time, too.

Greenzone bug is still there, but much less than the demo and only on the easier difficulties.

The squads are never updated, you've always needed an option file on day one. Think the ps3 OF will be available from wenb on Friday, but for Pc owners there's already a patch changing all kits and names to the real ones.

First impressions are that it's really very good. Not without it's faults, but for me easily the best since 4, which was the peak of the series in my opinion. The passing feels really natural and crisp and gives a brilliant sense of control, the tempo of the matches is also spot on.

Just got my dispatch notice from ShopTo. Anyone know whether I'll get it tomorrow?!

As charley farley said the squads are always updated about 2 weeks after release. Always has done. Hardly a deal breaker...

Apparently the "greenzone bug" is much less prevalent in the full game, but still there, but it has been said that the devs are aware of it and will look to get it sorted asap.

Greenzone bug is still there, but much less than the demo and only on the easier difficulties.

The squads are never updated, you've always needed an option file on day one. Think the ps3 OF will be available from wenb on Friday, but for Pc owners there's already a patch changing all kits and names to the real ones.

First impressions are that it's really very good. Not without it's faults, but for me easily the best since 4, which was the peak of the series in my opinion. The passing feels really natural and crisp and gives a brilliant sense of control, the tempo of the matches is also spot on.

Keep talking, you're persuading me to buy it on day one!

I'm not actually interested in real names/licenses whatsoever, but the out of date squads are unforgiveable really.

I don't understand why people think it's ok to rely on an update to make the game acceptable, what about people who are not connected to the net with their console(more people than you might think). Just a simple squad roster cannot be difficult to sort for realease, surely?

How are the ball physics on the full game? The demo had some horrible beach ball moments, totally shattering any illusion of it actually being a football.

Keep talking...

How are the ball physics on the full game? The demo had some horrible beach ball moments, totally shattering any illusion of it actually being a football.

Ok, some quick background so poeple can decide whether my opinion is of worth to them or not: I think all the next gen Pro Evo's have been absolute cack. I thought 2010, although broken, was a noticeable improvement from 2008/09 which were beyond atrocious, but it was still essentially broken. In all those barren years I've never managed to get on with Fifa properly. Played 09 and 10, and found them kind of ok, but nowhere near the level of the PS2 Pro Evo's. I'm also much more interested in the Master League than the online, which maybe explains my apathy towards fifa...

All of this is based on 15 or so games last night in a Master League with West Ham. Pc version, initial patch installed to correct team/player names and all all real kits etc.

Anyway, the ball physics seem fine to me. The ball zips around nicely when passing, albeit with plenty of room for error if you're not careful. The shooting physics feel more like the PS2 versions too. I have noticed when shooting from a difficult position and blazing the ball over (left-back hitting a 30 yard volley with his right foot for example) the ball does seem to be quite floaty, but

it's only on the ridiculous long range, wild blasts - I've seen very few shots from a decent shooting position go over other than through my own ineptitude.

The shooting can be a bit funny in that when hitting controlled shots from in the box my players seem to sometimes just hit really weak shots at the keepers, maybe I'm not directing the shots enough, but there doesn't seem to be much visual feedback from the player animations to let me know what I'm doing wrong. Generally though the shooting is really nice - it's possible to hit very powerful screamers that stay low with just a tap of the button rather than in previous versions the shots along the ground automatically being placed.

The presentation is vastly improved. The master league menu feels slightly clunky and I've not found it as intuitive as last year, but generally all the menu's look nice and the little intro movies for the competitions are nice if that sort of thing bothers you.

The passing is really very good. As I said there's plenty of room for error if you try and play it like previous versions, but the passing feels completely free, you really can place the ball wherever you want. I've been able to string together moves like in no previous Pro Evo and the AI of your teammates seems pretty good although there are the occasional rages when players don't go on runs etc. It's extremely rewarding. I have found my full-backs being a bit too eager to pelt forward, but generally the movement of the front 5/6 players in the last 3rd seems really good - I had my centre forward making runs down the channels with my inside-left cutting in to provide a presence in the box and the midfielders made intelligent runs. It all feels like it should and I always felt like I had options on the ball.

The tactics seem very customisable, although I only had a quick play with them and it takes quite a while to hone a formation.

The new defending system is hard to guage, it does initially feel like you have less direct control, but once I got used to it I felt it worked well enough. There are still too many fouls, though this may be because I'm still getting to grips with the new system.

The AI seems to be better in some areas too, the defence holds it's shape much better and the teams generally seem to defend better as a unit. On medium difficulty it wasn't easy to break down teams like Wolves and Blackburn when they're playing 5 across midfield away from home. I di still beat them, but it wasn't a walk in the park and i had to work. The better teams do move the ball around suitably well. Overall the difficulty seems pretty well balanced, obviously hard to say after such a short period, but I can see there being a decent challenge for multiple ML seasons.

Graphics are nice enough, the animation has been tidied up from the demo, but there are still spots of occasionally jerky dribbling.

Most importantly it has the indefinable PES 'feel'. At very, very few points did I feel I had misplaced a pass, or conceded a goal, missed an interception because of the game. It was always my fault and I could see what I'd done wrong.

Google pesedit, first one on the list. They eventually release a full patch allowing you to update kits, balls, faces, boots, stadiums etc and so on and so forth.

At the current patch 0.1 it's just names and kits.

It took me a while how to work out how to manually edit stuff, there weren't any tutorials, so I can provide help if required.

I've been playing the PC version for about a week and managed to win the Master League in my first season with Fulham (on regular) using the PES players (Castolo, Minanda, etc).

It's hard to recommend this over Fifa because there's still so much wrong with it, but it is enjoyable. I managed to get the patch with all the official kits and logos and this makes the game feel a lot better. The Master League itself doesn't seem that well balanced, it's just too easy. They've made transfers really boring by giving you "scouts" that sort out the deals, but it just takes too long and they rarely succeed in negotiating with other teams. The youth system seems like a nice bonus by giving you access to a bunch of young players every season. The other day-to-day stuff isn't all that great, Training and staff management are all pretty standard. I think it is possible to build your own stadium though which is a nice touch, but unfortunately it's all done through the editor and isn't part of the ML-game which is a missed opportunity.

As for the on-pitch stuff, it's mostly the same. Some things are great (shooting, the graphics) but mostly the old problems still remain. The manual-passing system seemed nice to begin with but it becomes annoying after a while because it's just too inconsistent. There have been many times I've tried to play a simple pass from my wingback to a winger but instead the ball is just kicked off the pitch because I wasn't aiming the in the exact direction of the player. The "running-down-the-wing" bug is a massive gamebreaker, I don't know how they could miss something like that. Defending is mostly rubbish, you just need to crowd the area around the D and you'll eventually get the ball back.

Despite all the complaints it's still got something that Fifa lacks, and I did enjoy running through the season. Most of my scorelines were pretty sensible too, I lost my first two matches 5-1 and 6-1, but then something clicked and I went unbeaten for the rest of the season mostly winning 2-1, 2-0, etc. I'd also add that the PC controls (using the Xbox pad) are pretty rubbish which might be why I found some aspects of the game annoying.

I'm there day 1 too, I could'nt not buy FIFA at £24, but I'm going to exchange it on friday, it just ain't doing it for me (and hopefully i'll make a little profit).

I played a couple games at the Eurogamer expo against a few randoms, and it seemed alot better than the demo. I felt that multiplayer tension that I hadn't felt since PES6, if online works properly it's gonna be epic!

Got this installed on the laptop. Looks and plays really well. Will try and get the patch on soon too. It lacks the polish of FIFA 11, it also lacks a lot of the modes too, however on the pitch it is a good enjoyable experience and with a couple of you playing in the same room, it will be like the days of old.

Personally I think it compliments FIFA really well.

Most importantly it has the indefinable PES 'feel'. At very, very few points did I feel I had misplaced a pass, or conceded a goal, missed an interception because of the game. It was always my fault and I could see what I'd done wrong.

That's the clincher for me. :wub:

Can't wait!

Best typo ever "I've also witnessed a far more laid back community than FIFA, with less quitting out and more friendly massages after games." I can see why you liked the online now Elmo :)

I do wonder how some of them got missed... and wonder even more about how I can write shit like that.

It's mental.

I should just stick to saying stupid things on podcasts. At least then people don't have it in writing!

$0.2

I've really been enjoying the demo, passes are an absolute joy to put together, players seem to make all the right runs, and defending has a good balance between taking a risk and parking the bus.

Some things have annoyed me though:

In the demo:

• Too many silly fouls - including clearly won slide tackles, and little shoulder pushes/heel clipping
  • Shooting feels a little light, and shots are still far too 'centred'
  • Too many rebounds from the goalies, real goalies would be dropped in a second for spills like seen in PES 2011
  • Screen contrast too high on night games
  • The 'free' replay camera has now been broken

And some things from PES 2010 that I hope that will be fixed in the full game:

• Master League scouts are not useless and you can actually start signing better players more frequently rather than having to rely on 'Free agents' and the likes
  • Having to be forced to read/see pointless text screens in ML

Still, I buy the PES game each and every year since I love playing it, and FIFA just doesn't seem to cut it for me. I'll put a solid 100 or so hours into ML a year so it does annoy me when they won't fix the little things.

Still very excited about sessioning this all weekend :wub:

Tesco will be selling this for £30 no strings attached :)

Wow that is good news, how did you find this out?

The one thing that I was REALLY pleased about, playing the demo, was the computer AI on Top Player. In previous games Top Player meant that the computer had this unerring knack of knowing exactly what you were going to do. When the computer had the ball it was more of a waiting game, putting men behind the ball and hoping for an interception. Interceptions rarely came as the computer would always know what player was free and pick the pass straight to them, no matter what pressure they were under.

Now it is much more realistic. The opposition is no more this unflinching hive mind, knowing the past, present and future. They can also misjudge passes! :o You can now get more tackles in, and yes I know there are more fouls too but I believe that it could be down to learning the defence system properly, and win the ball back. Defending isn't as much of a chore as it once was and it's all the better for it.

I also think the defensive pressing system is quite inspired to be honest, and will require a bit of practice to get right. Pressing the analogue stick towards the attacker, while pressing, was second nature for me, now you have to time it perfectly for a precise tackle. While the 2 other pressing options give you an opportunity to defend in a more controlled manner. It will take getting used to, but I think I've gotten used to it more and more the more I play the demo. Now the computer is giving away more frees than me, which is unheard of!

Also, one of the things that has really annoyed me about a lot of reviews is the moaning about licences. Yes, the licence thing is an issue, but it is something completely out of Konami's hands. Do you honestly believe that if Konami could get the licences they would just leave it?! EA's deal with the PL is a completely exclusive deal, there's nothing Konami can do about that, we all know that so why go on about it. You can bet your bottom dollar that when the deal with EA expire's Konami will throw their hat in the ring, possibly even offering a non-exclusive deal, but then EA will weigh in with their big money and get another exclusive deal. You couldn't blame the PL for accepting more money, but you also shouldn't blame Konami. The reason there aren't the licences in PES is simply down to EA and their dollars. I for one would be a little disappointed if PES got licences, that would mean I wouldn't be able to delve into the edit mode, which believe it or not, I actually enjoy! ;)

Anyway, here's hoping that the full game is sitting on my mat, from ShopTo, when I get home!