Infamous 2 - Out Now!

The Sarge

It's a shame not many people seem to be playing this on here. I loved the first game and am having a blast with this one. Getting close to what I assume is the end of the game,

just powered up the oil works after nuking the beast!

Hoovering up all the side missions as they become available and generally watching the hours slip away like minutes!

I'm playing it. It's good solid fun thus far, with some good refinements in the melee and powers system. I'm really impressed with how seamless the user generated content is integrated into the game, but given the wealth of content already available, I fear that it will get over looked by a lot of people.

At present it misses the utter chaos which inFamous enabled towards the end of the game, but I'm enjoying all aspects of the action, story and missions, I'm just waiting for it to ramp up a bit.

Finally, platinum'd inFamous! Now, a hard evil run through on inFamous 2. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the UGC, too.

SONY has some brilliant 1st party stuff at the moment. It's getting stronger and stronger. Where as Xbox's is getting thinner and thinner... Even Halo isn't really Halo now that BUNGIE have gone. After inFamous 2 I think SONY have another franchise that can stand alongside Uncharted as AAA Must haves.

I spent my Sunday mainlining an evil playthrough. Thoughts on both endings:

I think the evil ending was the better of the two, presentationally. It was far more interesting by virtue of confronting Zeke, a character that the second game did a good job of redeeming, and was generally more dramatic.

Presumably this is it for the series, at least for a time, as neither ending really lends themselves to a continuation. Personally I'm hoping they drop the extreme Good/Evil dichotomy if they do make another, as whilst they were kind of bound to include such a system in this follow up it's really rather clumsy and doesn't make much sense: whilst playing the hero Cole came across as too much of a dick in cutscenes, whilst he seemed uncharacteristically empathic when playing the evildoer. I'd rather Sucker Punch stick to a single coherent tone as opposed to diluting two extremes.

Generally speaking I think the game is more of the same. It's more varied than the first and a step up presentationally, but at its core it's pretty much the first game again. That's no bad thing as I was one of many who thoroughly enjoyed inFamous, but it's a shame the sequel isn't quite the Uncharted-to-Uncharted 2-style jump I was hoping for.

Loving this. Don't get the level of hatred for the Nix character. It's an exaggerated superhero comicbook type character, and seems to fit with the tone to me. Zeke's terrible faux-southern accent is much worse IMO.

But yes, it does feel like an evolution of the first, but it's still the feel of the game that satisfies me. Movement is slick and you can pull off pretty cool stuff re. combat / movement with ease. Very satisfying.

UGC is nuts. Really exposes the guts of making missions for an openworld game. I've played a few really good user-created ones too. As well as some entertainingly bad/broken ones (there's a user called Veajay13 who seems to make very ambitious missions with bad, typo-riddled dialogue, and often seems to just give up halfway through).

Anyway. Love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished hard/ evil playthrough. It's well worth playing through BOTH endings as they are very different and shocking in different ways.

Also, if you finish both sides the game allows you to then have access to all powers. Good and bad.

The game has been an absolute blast so far. Going to get stuck into the UGC now.

Just started this. Graphically it's a significant step up from the first and it all seems to run very smoothly. One observation: it's hard to walk, isn't it? Cole seems to sprint everywhere at breakneck pace - I'm having a hard time taking everything in unless I stop every so often.

Clocked the good ending on normal. Am putting it away for a bit, might try Evil on Hard at some point. I had a lot of fun playing it, and enjoyed all the extra powers. I still reckon they could do with being more imaginative with the powerset, and was quite disappointed that you only get your big storm power back far too late.

Oh, I won't put it away just yet, I have a couple of dead drops to find.

And the plot and Good/Evil choices still don't work. Jusst ask me at the start whether I want to be good or bad, and railroad me from there, with two plots. All the ambiguity forced on them to keep the cutscenes equally relevant fails.

I find it fun enough to go for the Platinum. The excellent traversal system, powers, combat and engine itself make up for the black/white morality system, some repetitive missions and the bullet sponge monsters that appear in the latter part of the game. Would have liked more moments like that rather epic opening as well. No classic, but good fun.

Just unlocked the second island and I feel like it's dragging a bit. A lot of the set-pieces feel similar to ones in the original, and...well, to each other. It misses the platforming elements of the first game, and the moral decisions seem to be affecting the script now - some of the things Cole says don't fit with the good path I've chosen, and I imagine it's the same if you play as a baddie. Also seems a little cheap in places. Enemies that fire rocket launchers at you from point-blank range? Bah.

I really enjoy controlling Cole, though, and I quite like his Statham-esque makeover - seems more interesting than in the first game. And the idea of The Beast getting ever closer raises the stakes rather effectively. I think I like the concept more than the execution, though. While Cole can get around pretty quickly, I really don't think the world needs to be as big as it is, and I'd rather have fewer side missions that felt more significant than 60 or more that mostly feel like busywork. I cringed when I saw that some of the unlocks required you to complete 40/50/60 side quests.

Tl;dr - I'll probably finish it, but I'm not sure I'll bother with a second playthrough - even if Nix's backstory finally made her feel like a character rather than an irritant.

The game doesn't make a lick of sense if you play utterly evil, though you do get the better powers and if other opinions are anything to go by, one of the best endings in a long time. So l keep on playing. Did all the side-missions, which was a bit of a grind, though there ar some clever ones, same with UGC missions. The shards are fun to collect though, much better than the feathers in AC.

For me, it's definitely controlling Cole and his powers that makes inFamous a joy. The one thing I didn't like is how they diluted the concept of his powers by adding the fire and ice. Much preferred it when Cole was exclusively electric.

But learning to use your powers and implementing then against the odds in combat is what makes inFamous the best superhero game to date. They also struck a great balance with making you powerful BUT vulnerable.

Both endings are great but, yes the evil ending is proper good. InFamous 2 is a great step forward and I'm excited to see what Sucker Punch do next. Especially as they have just hired one of BUNGIE's top designers, Jamie Griesemer. He talks about how hungry Sucker Punch are to make something great.

For me, it's definitely controlling Cole and his powers that makes inFamous a joy. The one thing I didn't like is how they diluted the concept of his powers by adding the fire and ice. Much preferred it when Cole was exclusively electric.

I agree to a point, as fun as some of the other powers are. A superhero should have a single set of powers - he shouldn't get extra ones from others. That said, I do like the ice launchy thing. Makes the platforming more fun.

But learning to use your powers and implementing then against the odds in combat is what makes inFamous the best superhero game to date.

I can't agree. It's no Arkham Asylum (though does Batman count as a superhero), and I feel that a lot of the encounters are very similar - they just throw more enemies at you the further you go, and some of them are a little too cheap/irritating. I don't mind a game being hard, but often this is frustrating - forgiving (enemies you've beaten stay down when you restart) but annoying in places. Rocket launchers shouldn't be fired to perfectly arc into your landing as you're skidding across wires between rooftops, but that's happened to me three times now, resulting in an instant kill.

Just finished this off today. Tried to realign to Evil for the final choice but it was taking too long (not even sure it can be done from Champion level and two of Nix's missions ended up with my hero rating actually increasing. Evidently you have to really work at being bad.

Anyway, brief ending spoilers:

Crikey, that was bleak. Yet also very much underplayed. Didn't feel as emotionally satisfying as it should have done, particularly with Kuo and Nix. Zeke's VO at the end was a bit glib, too.

For all that I liked Cole (and I preferred him in this to the first game) and loved the concept and the way you traverse the environment, the overriding sensation I was left with was of disappointment. It's a missed opportunity in many ways. Enemies are by turns infuriatingly cheap and ridiculously dumb, the open world is just too big, the final area of the map is Dullsville, Louisiana and missions didn't have nearly enough variety. It definitely missed the platforming elements of the original - I really enjoyed those bits and I can't quite understand why they were left out here.

I also felt that often the easiest way to deal with enemies was to simply spam R1 rather than use Cole's other powers, or melee attacks whenever enemies got close. The need to keep Cole ambiguous thanks to the whole karma system meant bits of the script didn't really ring true - such as the fact that Cole was consistently prepared to entertain Nix when she was happy to see perfectly innocent people die.

As such, her about-face at the end didn't really seem to make much sense, and Kuo's sudden shift to bad girl was all too abrupt.

Gaaaaaaaaaaah. So much good stuff (the electric tether is a thing of beauty) but loads of little things let it down. Like enemies firing rocket launchers at you from point-blank range - I mean, what the hell is that all about?

I agree with most of those points and raised a few of them earlier, yet l am now doing a Hard Evil run and I am still enjoying myself (though it's completely against my nature to play like a killer and the plot really doesn't make any sense when you play like this). The traversal and powers (evil powers seem more fun so far) win out over the cons for me. Those rocket launcher dudes don't really bother me, l use that force blast thing a lot and that is able to return rockets to sender, netting me nice Rubber Rocket bonusses. It's a flawed game this and not on par with that other big Sony exclusive sequel starring a certain Nathan Drake, but l've played far worse games.

Those rocket launcher dudes don't really bother me

Well, no, in the main they didn't bother me apart from the odd occasion where they'd somehow know exactly where I was going to land when travelling across rooftops on wires, perfectly arcing a rocket to coincide with my exact landing position and forcing me to repeat the last five minutes of play. <_<

Also, there are times when they fire from point-blank range - practically into their own feet - and you simply don't have the time to react to deflect it back at them.

Just read the Edge review and it's bang on the money in places. Some enemies are like electricity sponges, constantly getting back up again and forcing you to pepper them with shots as they lie on the ground. It's telling that you often have to rely on the XP boost notifier on the left side of the screen to know you've actually taken them out and that yes they really are going to stay down this time.

Bullet sponge enemies are its biggest problem for me. At least I have some funky new evil powers now, including blasts that detonate if you make a headshot. I also use melee a lot, it's pretty effective (particularly on those swamp creatures) and those Amp takedowns look badass.

I think I've broken my save game :/ I'm 18% in, the mission where you go on a boat killing militia in the swamp with that woman.

A while ago now I got to the bit where you have to fight that big monster on the little island. It took me ages to kill him and just as I did I fell in the water, died, and it put me back to when you gotta fight him. That annoyed me so I turned it off.

Just turned it back on and I get to that bit and she goes "hey I see something moving in the water" or whatever but nothing triggers! I can't get the baddie to spawn so I'm just stuck on this little island with nothing to do.

Annoying! I was just getting into it but really can't be arsed going through it again.

I think I've broken my save game :/ I'm 18% in, the mission where you go on a boat killing militia in the swamp with that woman.

A while ago now I got to the bit where you have to fight that big monster on the little island. It took me ages to kill him and just as I did I fell in the water, died, and it put me back to when you gotta fight him. That annoyed me so I turned it off.

Just turned it back on and I get to that bit and she goes "hey I see something moving in the water" or whatever but nothing triggers! I can't get the baddie to spawn so I'm just stuck on this little island with nothing to do.

Annoying! I was just getting into it but really can't be arsed going through it again.

If i remember rightly, you don't get a spawn at the point she sees movement, you just move on (either by jumping back on the boat and she sails a little bit further or by traversing the little islands).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...