Rumour: Nintendo DS2 Info.

The Sarge

The rumoured DS2 development kits are in the hands of select developers in Japan - and include a motion-sensing function, CVG can reveal.

The biggest of the firms working with the device is The Pokemon Company, which CVG understands was the first third-party business to be offered the dev kit.

A CVG insider at one of the studios currently toying with DS2 said he was aware that "a handful" of developers had been given the hardware on a trial basis.

However, Nintendo informed him that it was merely the first version of what will become the finished product. The platform holder is asking those trialling the hardware for feedback - but our man is certainly impressed.

"It's genuinely the best thing I think I've ever worked with," he said. "I can tell you that it's got a 'tilt' function that's not dissimilar to iPhone, but does a lot more. We know that The Pokemon Company are getting special attention with it."

However, before our source went tight-lipped, he said he didn't expect the hardware to be shown at GDC.

"Any kind of March announcement wouldn't fit with the timeline I understand the second DS to be on," he added.

He wouldn't tell us any more for fear of being rumbled, but we'll keep digging.

So there you are folks, a motion-sensing handheld with definite Pokemon goodies on the way.

Unsurprisingly, a Nintendo rep told CVG today that they wouldn't comment on "rumour or speculation".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235077

Apologies if already posted. :)

I can't imagine they'll really do a DS2 with the first still doing so well. A DS++ perhaps?

I can imagine if they were doing one it'd come with an extensive copyright system, as piracy must be costing them a bomb on the DS at the moment.

Wat? :)

Did Mario & Luigi: BIS, WarioWare DIY, Prof Layton:PB & Scribblenauts slip you by?

Seems 2009 was an excellent year to skip the DS. Had some excellent games on the machine, but it's really running out of steam. It's fading into mediocrity instead of pummeling the PSP into submission like it did for years.

Seems 2009 was an excellent year to skip the DS. Had some excellent games on the machine, but it's really running out of steam. It's fading into mediocrity instead of pummeling the PSP into submission like it did for years.

eh!?

It's continued pummelling of the PSP is embarrassing for Sony... did you even look at the recent sales figures?

Something tells me Cy was talking about games he actually liked Scott...

Indeed. :lol: Apart from Chrono Trigger (which was really one huge nostalgia trip) there was little else to entice me. Rhythm Paradise was horrid in the end. Dragon Quest simply too old and the rest... Retreads of old games. Infinite Space and Okamiden are the only games I'm looking forward to and I'm not even sure they are going to turn out OK. I simply feel the DS is entering its twilight years.

Indeed. :lol: Apart from Chrono Trigger (which was really one huge nostalgia trip) there was little else to entice me. Rhythm Paradise was horrid in the end. Dragon Quest simply too old and the rest... Retreads of old games. Infinite Space and Okamiden are the only games I'm looking forward to and I'm not even sure they are going to turn out OK. I simply feel the DS is entering its twilight years.

Humbug I say!

Bowser's Inside Story and Scribblenauts were both some of the most refreshing games I've played all year in 2009. BiS was a real surprise in that aspect considering it followed the dissapointing Partners in Time.

Ah well. At least we can still look forward Inazuma Eleven from Level-5.

I do feel that it is entering its twilight period, but that's fine with me. Had a damn good run and I still have quite a few games I want to add to my collection.

However Rhythm Paradise 'horrid'? Albeit I only played the Japanese version but its one of the best games of last year. Looking forward to the Edgeworth game as well.

Nintendo are going to have it much harder I think with it's next generation DS and I think the main competition will be with the ipod and the very low prices on the app store as well as the general versatility of the ipod. They have to go digital with it IMO. The PSP Go shows Sony is already thinking this way.

I do feel that it is entering its twilight period, but that's fine with me. Had a damn good run and I still have quite a few games I want to add to my collection.

However Rhythm Paradise 'horrid'? Albeit I only played the Japanese version but its one of the best games of last year. Looking forward to the Edgeworth game as well.

Nintendo are going to have it much harder I think with it's next generation DS and I think the main competition will be with the ipod and the very low prices on the app store as well as the general versatility of the ipod. They have to go digital with it IMO. The PSP Go shows Sony is already thinking this way.

the vast vast vast majority of kids who play DS' do not have iPod touches or AppStore accounts.

Is there any game on the iPhone able to come close to the sales figures of the largest selling DS games?

I think we're seeing a glut of stuff on the iPhone, but most people only play games at their most casual on it... long story driven games, I can't be bothered playing on the iPhone, it's just not the right device.

Has anyone actually finished GTA on the iPhone?

the PSP GO has been a huge failure.

Retail is going to be important here for quite a while yet.

Gamecube Games on DSWARE please :)

I can't see them scrapping carts just yet. If anything the PSP Go has shown that a purely digital download games system is a no-sales elephant. Otherwise I agree that their biggest competitor is going to be the iPod Touch and iPhone.

the vast vast vast majority of kids who play DS' do not have iPod touches or AppStore accounts.

Is there any game on the iPhone able to come close to the sales figures of the largest selling DS games?

I think we're seeing a glut of stuff on the iPhone, but most people only play games at their most casual on it... long story driven games, I can't be bothered playing on the iPhone, it's just not the right device.

On the other hand, GTA made a huge loss on the DS and shipped a disappointing number of units. I know for a fact that the iPhone/iPod version has already made more than the DS and PSP version combined. It's charting like a motherfucker.

I'd say the majority of kids don't buy DS games. The amount of kids with R5 devices is staggering.

I'd say the majority of kids don't buy DS games. The amount of kids with R4 devices is staggering.

The piracy problem is one that's mainly big in Europe.

When you look at the fact that a games like Scribblenauts, Prof Layton and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 still sell pretty damn well, i'd say that sales numbers prove the statement of kids not buying DS games otherwise.

The piracy problem is one that's mainly big in Europe.

When you look at the fact that a games like Scribblenauts, Prof Layton and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 still sell pretty damn well, i'd say that sales numbers prove the statement of kids not buying DS games otherwise.

My cousin is 9. She has an R5 that someone's dad at school loads with games. Almost all her friends have DSes, and every single one that does has an R5. Same with my little sister and her friends. Sure, the games still sell, but I wonder what kind of numbers we'd see if there weren't R5s in this country.

My cousin is 9. She has an R5 that someone's dad at school loads with games. Almost all her friends have DSes, and every single one that does has an R5. Same with my little sister and her friends. Sure, the games still sell, but I wonder what kind of numbers we'd see if there weren't R5s in this country.

The same, I'd presume.

Who the fuck thinks £30 is a decent price for DS titles?

Anecdotal evidence. :facepalm: