Civilization V

Tzigone

When/why should I build a second city? Are there certain things to research/build that requires more than one city?

Also, are roads buggy? I'm trying to get workers to automate a long road but can only seem to be able to do it one tile at a time.

And is there any way to group people? So it's easier/quicker to move armies around.

And any other tips really?

A second city will provide you with more science and money, but as your population expands it generates unhappiness. I would usually build several but I think that's just from playing earlier Civ games where the AI would take up all the land available so you had to block them out. The main reason I would have to found a new city would be to get resources (Iron, Horses etc.)

Workers come out of automation when there are enemies nearby if that helps. Always irritated me early on when there are barbarians all over that my workers wouldn't work without me babysitting them

There isn't a way to move armies as a group as far as I'm aware

• 4 months later...

After sinking a bit too much time in January with this

Civilization 5: Gods & Kings expansion announced, available 'late spring 2012'

Developer Firaxis will release an expansion pack for Civilization V this spring, it said today.

Civilization V: Gods & Kings will mark the return of religion and espionage, two Civilization IV features that were absent in the fifth installment of the popular turn-based strategy series.

The expansion includes 27 new units, 13 new buildings and nine new Wonders. There's also nine new civilizations, including Carthage, the Netherlands and the Celts. Along with two new types of city-states: mercantile and religious.

Scenarios include the medieval period, the fall of the Rome and the Empires of the Smoky Skies, "a Victorian science-fiction scenario."

Civilization 5: Gods & Kings expansion announced, available 'late spring 2012'

Developer Firaxis will release an expansion pack for Civilization V this spring, it said today.

Civilization V: Gods & Kings will mark the return of religion and espionage, two Civilization IV features that were absent in the fifth installment of the popular turn-based strategy series.

The expansion includes 27 new units, 13 new buildings and nine new Wonders. There's also nine new civilizations, including Carthage, the Netherlands and the Celts. Along with two new types of city-states: mercantile and religious.

Scenarios include the medieval period, the fall of the Rome and the Empires of the Smoky Skies, "a Victorian science-fiction scenario."

:blink:

I hardly think "the Netherlands" qualifies as a civilization.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just heard about this expansion after sweeping to a glorious Emperor level domination win as Askia. I am really pumped for it, brings back religion with a new system that makes it customizable, presumably working like the policy picks allowing you mix and match different types of religion to gain you a benefit.

And one of the new Leaders is Jah Rastafari himself, Emperor Haile Selassie I. Which is utterly brilliant.

I love Civ V, never played any of the others, and I'm not entirely sure what my plan is - I seem to be taking over though, is that actually a good thing or will it just make the remaining empires mad enough to join together and fight me?

Other Civs and city states might be allied with the ones you try to conquor, and come to their defense if you attack them. Your best bet is to keep an eye on who is allied with who and play accordingly.

The Steam page of the expansion did not mention anything related to multiplayer, I am guessing no PbE yet :(

Gods and Kings has just installed for me and is playable, despite the release date being this Friday.

One word of warning, DX11 mode doesn't work with the newest Nvidia beta drivers, but is fine with the latest official drivers. A shame as I like what they did for Diablo 3, hopefully they'll be an update soon but back to the official ones for now.

I think that might be the difference, does seem to be those that bought it elsewhere then registered it who have got the update. Could always try starting Steam with a US VPN to get the download to start, might be once you've got it you can play it.

Forgotten how addictive it was and what great music the game has. Annoyingly it's just crashed on me as America declared war which brought in lots of nations, I've learnt my lesson and got those defensive pacts ready. The spy is proving quite useful, both mine and those from friendly nations.

Hm. As someone who had got fairly consistent with winning on Emperor (even managed a few Deity wins as well, but generally prefer Emperor as I can play a bit more loosely, enjoy it more) this is really quite a challenge.

The AI are much more competent with their military now, I've been rushed a couple of times. Even when I did survive the early rushes I was way off the pace in any of the victory conditions. I'd like to avoid outright conquest or rushing myself (Atilla looks like he could be a bit broken with those battering rams early game) as I want to learn the new mechanics properly.

Luckily Ethiopia has got to be one of the best Civs ever. The bonuses are brilliant as are the unique units. It would be easier to fight literal iron lions than the unique rifleman units they get, factor in all the potential defensive bonuses you could potentially get via religion e.t.c (again their unique monument is fantastic for religion, you're pretty much guaranteed to found one) and you could end up with industrial era troops tougher than mechanized infantry or something mad.

Shame he doesn't get any bonuses towards diplomacy either seeing as that's what Selassie is probably best known for, but whatever. He is aces.

Really enjoying Gods and Kings, after finding vanilla Civ. V rather overly-stripped down compared to IV. Currently kicking arse as Genghis Khan.

Have they altered AI diplomacy/war behaviour somewhat? In my admittedly brief sojourn into the base game I found it rather like Civ Rev, in that the other civs would declare war at the drop of a hat for no reason, making the whole thing feel much more like a pure wargame (of the board variety), in a weird kind of way. It feels more organic now. I have a bit of a cold war going with my neighbour, Darius I, manipulating all the city states on our continent while we build up for what looks like it will be a massive war.

Diplomacy is still too simple, but it seems to at least be a bit more sensible now. It's a good game now!