Civilization V

Tzigone

What do you mean no campaign? Do you mean no structure? I guess I can see your point if that's what you mean; at first it does seem a bit vague as to what you have to do, but I think the 'point' to the single player is just to thrive as a civilisation and reach whatever victory you wish (scientific, military etc).

There are also scenarios, although I've not touched them yet. I guess they're probably more structured and have specific goals for you to accomplish.

Having said that, I really like the fact the game isn't pressuring me to do anything. It's pretty much the perfect chill out game - no pressure, no time limits, just do what you want when you want. Take your time, leave the game running for ages whilst you do something else and come back exactly where you were and the game is patiently waiting for you. Love it. :wub:

I'd say thats pretty much what I meant, yeah. I mean it's not like I'm asking for a story mode of each and every culture or it to necessarily point me to 'hey, you haven't tried playing this way yet' modes. But you do indeed get thrown straight in, and after you save and go back to the title screen...you realise every single game you make will be from the same, in my mind, 'Free Map Mode'.

Perhaps they could have made the tutorial span a epic arc of missions its own of some kind so users like me can feel 'Ok, I've seen the main game, now I can play around with the map mode'.

Um err, ohhh.

Ok yea, you can leave them to automate and they won't do anything too disastrous, but like so many things in this game the more you control it the better it will turn out. In the early game I would seriously advise against automating them.

Road building for instance. Roads cost 1g per turn to maintain so there is an incentive there to be as efficient as possible. Automated works will just try and build along the shortest direct route, but you might be able to plan it better because you know where you're settling next, or can foresee a different route being more strategically valuable later on. It is also a matter of when to build a road. Because roads cost 1gpt a tile they can be quite expensive. A trade route provides 1gpt for every 1 pop in the city that is being connected. So if a city is 4 tiles away you don't really want to connect it until it has at least 4 pop (unless you really want the faster unit movement i.e to move reinforcements to the area quickly). The greater the distance the higher the pop needs to be for it to be worthwhile. Another thing to consider is that roads outside your borders do not cost upkeep. There are also harbours that connect cities to the trade network that cost just 3gpt - coastal city? Skip roads, build a harbour!

Also there are certain civs that benefit less or differently from roads. The Iroquois who treats forest as road for example, or Carthage that get Harbours for free in every coastal city and the Inca that don't pay upkeep on roads built on hills. The automated worker takes none of this into account.

Then there are tile improvements. The automated worker will build basically anything that is recommended, on strategic or luxury resources this is usually fine (i.e a mine on gold, quarry on stone e.t.c). On plain tiles I think it defaults to trading posts or anything you're currently lacking. Farms are so much better because food is so important to success, I'd keep a close eye on whatever improvements your worker is building and ideally do it all yourself. When you have an expansive empire with lots of puppets, you'll actually want to keep the pop down and build trading posts as puppets only focus on gold production anyway, but for your core cities you'll probably want food.

There are also tiles that you might not want to improve. Jungle tiles for instance provide 2 food and later 2 science if you have a university. Bananas actually produce less food if you build a plantation and so on.

I usually control all my workers until it gets too much for me to be bothered with or I'm winning so much I no longer care about efficiency.

Not sure why someone would neg you for that quality advice, but I've redressed the balance :huh:

So I just won my first ever game of this. I reached 2050 and won on points, from a small game with just four of us. By the end Ghandi and some beardy bloke had been conquered and it was me (Caesar) and Pacal left. My military advisor kept telling me to wage war on Pacal and kept saying how weak he was, but any time I tried he was pretty goddamn strong. I also don't understand how my tanks were getting caned by his infantry. I dropped a few nukes on his towns (the effect for the nuclear missile is quite good :D) and then made peace before trying for the space race. I'd built my spaceship by 2040 but hadn't realised I needed 3 boosters, not just 1, and time ran out before I could complete them.

Good fun though. Eager to try again with the things I've learnt.

• 3 weeks later...

You know several years ago I worked on some of the Civ games and I played one version or other of Civ for at least a year a year and a half all together, and about 6 months of it at least in one go. Every single day, sometimes 7 days a week, I would play Civ for around 8 hours or more. I mean play too, many times just like you would at home. Can you believe I still find myself at 2am trying to conquer the world again? I don't even have any emotional attachment to it from working on it, in fact it should make me sick. There's something seriously not right about that game, it's almost evil.

You know several years ago I worked on some of the Civ games and I played one version or other of Civ for at least a year a year and a half all together, and about 6 months of it at least in one go. Every single day, sometimes 7 days a week, I would play Civ for around 8 hours or more. I mean play too, many times just like you would at home. Can you believe I still find myself at 2am trying to conquer the world again? I don't even have any emotional attachment to it from working on it, in fact it should make me sick. There's something seriously not right about that game, it's almost evil.

For some incomprehensible reason, Civ II was the only game allowed on computers in school. Needless to say, when I discovered it, I skived a lot of Games and only went if I was any good at the sport.

Someone I know managed to avoid doing it for two years - when they upgraded the computers and put fresh installs of everything there were salty, salty tears.

I love the series, absolutely love them and I've spent a frankly ridiculous amount of time on them (700+ hours according to Steam on Civ 5).

All i want from the inevitable sequel is better AI. It chaps my balls when you come across on civ that has taken over every city state they've met, waged war on everyone they've met and constantly pesters you to join them in war against your allies and yet when you go to war with them, because they've broken a promise to stop sending their dirty missionaries into my cities (why does this go unpunished by the AI but if you break a promise you're a pariah?) they denounce you as a warmongering menace to the world. It just doesn't make sense and really irks me.

Anyway, I want Civ 6!

New patch out today:

If you build defensive structures in your city, then save and reload, the hit-point bonus would disappear.

Hun Battering Ram promotion which allows it to only attack cities is now lost upon upgrade

Civ5 Touch - Fixes the oddness when rotating tablets

Graphical - Fixed issue with Rock of Gibraltar not showing up correctly.

Fixed the bug where the Maya AI didn't have to pick a different GP for each Baktun

Fixed an issue on a city flip/gift which would cause loss of city plots forever.

Fixed a bug where liberated CS would not show their vote correctly in the Victory Progress UI screen

Fixed graphics bugs when the game was restarted too many times in a row.

Shortcuts created through the launcher now function correctly.

Crashes/Freezes

Fixed a crash that happens when an AI loses its capital, but still has units, so is still alive.

Last edited by 2K David; 17 Hours Ago at 08:41 PM.

Link: Official Blog.

Thanks to this thread I've been having a ball with Civ V over the last few days. I'm one of those ones who would build just about anything because it sounded good. I'm still doing Duel maps on the easiest setting but now I actually have little strategies here and there. I'm no great leader (yet) but I'm getting there.

Civ-V-BNW-logo.jpg

2K Announces Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Brave New World Expansion Pack

Second massive expansion for critically acclaimed Civilization V features new gameplay systems, strategies, scenarios and more

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K and Firaxis Games announced today that Sid Meier's Civilization® V: Brave New World, the second expansion pack for the award-winning Civilization V, is currently in development and will be released this summer for Windows-based PC and brought to the Mac® by Aspyr Media. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World brings a massive amount of new gameplay to the Civilization V experience, providing gamers with even more rewarding ways to achieve world domination.

“Brave New World is destined to continue the strong Civilization lineage that already includes massive expansions such as Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and Civilization V: Gods & Kings.”

.“Civilization V: Brave New World continues the strong tradition of ambitious expansion packs that fans have come to expect from the Civilization franchise,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Brave New World is destined to continue the strong Civilization lineage that already includes massive expansions such as Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and Civilization V: Gods & Kings.”

Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World provides new depth and replayability through the introduction of international trade and a focus on culture and diplomacy. The player’s influence around the world will be impacted by creating a number of Great Works across a variety of crafts, choosing an ideology for their civilization, and proposing global resolutions in the new World Congress. As players move through the ages of history, they will make critical decisions that influence relationships with all civilizations in the game world.

“After adding a number of great new features to Civilization V with the Gods & Kings expansion, the team continued to search for ways to create even more exciting gameplay through new systems and features,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development for Firaxis Games. “We’re happy to bring our fans another ambitious expansion that will provide hours and hours of new Civilization experiences.

Key features include:

New Civilizations, Units and Buildings: The expansion features nine new civilizations, each with unique traits, units, buildings and all-new leaders, including Casimir III of Poland.

New Culture Victory: Spread your culture across the globe, dominating all other cultures. Create masterpieces with Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians that are placed in key buildings across your empire, like Museums, Opera Houses and even the Great Library. Use Archaeologists to investigate sites of ancient battles and city ruins for priceless cultural artifacts. Become the first civilization with a majority influence in all other civilizations to achieve a Culture Victory, becoming the envy of the world.

World Congress: The importance of diplomacy is intensified and city-state alliances are more important than ever. Change the diplomatic landscape through a new World Congress that votes on critical issues like implementing trade sanctions against rogue nations, limiting resource usage, designating host cities for the World Games and the use of nuclear weapons. Game-changing resolutions, vote trading, intrigue, and a new lead into the Diplomatic Victory ensures that the end of the game will be more dynamic than ever before.

International Trade Routes: Build your cities into hubs of international trade by land and sea, creating great wealth and prosperity for your people, while also spreading religion, cultural influence, and science. The number of trade routes increases through the advancement of economics and technologies, the creation of wonders and the unique abilities of your civilization. Will you connect to a closer city for a lower payoff and a safer route, choose a longer route with more risk for the bigger payoff, or perhaps point your trade route inward, sending vitally important food and production to the far corners of your own empire?

New Wonders: Eight new Wonders are introduced, including the Parthenon, Broadway, the Uffizi, and more.

New Game Scenarios: Two new scenarios let gamers fight the “War Between the States” and embark on the epic Scramble for Africa. Fight the American Civil War from either the Union or Confederate side, as you focus on the critical action in the Eastern theatre of operations between the capital cities of Richmond and Washington. In “Scramble for Africa”, the great colonial powers of the world are racing to explore the Dark Continent and extend their reach into its interior. Search for great natural wonders in the heart of Africa, as you explore a dynamically-generated continent each time you play.

Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available for Windows-based PC and Mac this summer. For more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World, please visit www.civilization.com or become a fan on Facebook.

PC Gamer interview on it.

Oh god, the nightmare paradox of not having a job and thus having the time to really enjoy a new expansion but not being able to afford it because of not having a job.

Great to see the Parthenon making its long awaited comeback, and wow, Poland. I mean nothing - NOTHING - will beat making Haile Selassie a playable character, but I am looking forward to playing as the Poles, I'll be intrigued by what they get. Whole thing seems geared towards post-Renaissance era, which should compliment GAK which was really an add-on for the Ancient and Classical eras. Espionage was really quite unremarkable as a mechanic compared to religion.

I literally cannot wait to write a long winded guide about how to best exploit great works.

That sounds great. For me, diplomacy and the interaction between nations beside just WAAAR has always been Civ's weakness. Which is odd, cos I'm the ultimate Civ warmonger.

Hah, fuck that press release though, and the first four or five paragraphs that just say exactly the same thing in different ways! Lol and grrr at the same time.