Civilization V

Tzigone

That piece of work now is creating tourism, and it’s an actual yield, and you’re staring to build up tourism. Later on when archaeology comes online, you’re going to be running around on a second phase of exploration and discovery in the world when archaeology comes up because there’s now all these digs around the world that are actually reflections of stuff that happened earlier in the game where a battle might have taken place, where a barbarian camp was. You can extract artefacts from these sites and also put them in your museums.

This actually sounds like the greatest thing ever.

The late game exploration thing is a great idea - it's a classic problem in this type of 4X game that once you hit late-mid game things can become less interesting, as you're not exploring for resources or expanding your territory any more.

How is multiplayer on this? I've always played this on my own but seeing a fair few people on my steam friends list playing this recently has got me intrigued!

They can be very fun. 4 people on a small map gets very aggressive very fast. You need a lot of time though if you actually want to finish it. I'm pretty sure you can't play by email or save and resume like you could with 4, so you need a fair amount of time free to play it. They might have changed that though, I haven't tried the multiplayer since the vanilla version came out however long ago.

If anyone is actually interested in playing a multiplayer game I am totally up for it by the way.

I'm ashamed to admit this but I won my first ever game (domination victory) of this tonight even though I've owned it since launch. Using Frosty's tips, I played as Ethiopia in a duel against China on a tiny continents map. Thanks, Frosty. Your tips have been instrumental in me wrapping my head around the game's core concepts and I can't wait to play more and on a bigger scale.

Is there an ETA on the new expansion?

Edit: Just read the RPS interview. Summer, eh? Cool.

Some of the clever clogs over at civ fanatics have gleaned that one of the 9 new Civs will be Assyria, based on the siege tower seen in one of the screenshots. Sounds plausible to me.

That'll give us civs from Medieval Europe and the Ancient Middle East . I know a lot of people have always wanted a modern south American civ, and with the tourism features I think Brazil is likely. There has also been conjecture of Portugal being in there because of the international trade stuff and for Belgium and an African kingdom (probably bringing back the Zulu) for the Scramble for Africa campaign.

After that I reckon a South East Asian civ, maybe another North American one and hopefully Australia with unique abilities that are unintentionally offensive.

Also two new social policy trees are being added. Aesthetics and Exploration. The former almost certainly going to be culture oriented and leaving Piety to just concern Faith now.

The late game policies: Freedom, Order and Autocracy are going to become the Ideologies that will have a big impact late game. I am looking forward to this stuff, as the current system of "you chose order, I like you +1" diplomacy was really underwhelming when you consider it is supposed to be representing the sort of disagreements that in real life led to massive and horrific wars and then the very real possibility of the world ending at any moment.

Apparently you will get quite a bit of freedom with them too, as you draw 'Tenets' from a pool, similar to how beliefs work with religion, so you can customize your ideology.

Was playing a large map on king difficulty yesterday. Attempted to seriously focus on faith with the Celts. Spread Christianity all over my large contintent, infecting all of America, the Koreans and the Japanese. I had a nice bloody empire. Then the Americans got pissed at my constant spying and decided to invade. They gave me one chance to make peace if I surrendered one city, I refused. Then Korea attacked. Fucks. Fighting a losing battle on two sides with another two unseen civs about to win a space race I decided to quit.

I AM A QUITTER.

Nah, I started a new game as the Babylonians. I have cornered a choke point on the huge contintent I'm on and have spread all my cities within that point to the borders with only one allied city state taking up space. In a much more dominant position, and pushing for a tech victory. Dropped it down to Prince for the time being to sharpen my skills up.

• 1 month later...

Really looking forward to the expansion, been playing this a lot recently. Managed to get the Bollywood achievement with India by getting a cultural victory with only 3 cities, which was tough as I was behind on tech with two very aggressive neighbours, so was holding them off at the end. Got the Utopia Project up two turns before a Chinese spaceship took off.

I hope this guy is on to something :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-koroknaypalicz/is-there-meaning-behind-f_b_3193008.html

405829_10151612719330359_1516017052_n.jp

They have a point. But the answer, I think, might be that Firaxis is having a bit of fun with the cover and making a subtle statement. At the bottom of the box are three logos: the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) logo, which is on all games and provides an age rating for the game; the Firaxis logo; and the logo for the game's publisher, 2K Games. As I looked over the cover art the placement of these logos stood out to me, the ESRB logo is located in the autocracy panel, the Firaxis logo is located in the freedom panel, and the 2K Games logo is located in the order panel. It seems too convenient to be purely a coincidence.

Looks bloody marvellous! I'm concerned that a cultural victory sounds even harder than before, but looks to be so much more rewarding. Also that tax on standing armies sounds amazing for going for peaceful play.

Got this the other day, currently playing through the end of my first game. I have what's going on with the AI diplomacy. Admittedly I've been playing on easy with a comfortable lead, but they suddenly turn unfriendly and some of them, who would get annihilated if I went to war, keep telling me they're bullying my allied city states. I don't get what they stand to gain. I keep getting denounced, and I don't really know what that does.

Denouncing basically makes other Civs less likely to be friendly towards you. It doesn't always matter though, as a Civ that's universally distrusted won't have much influence on other leaders. Also, sometimes you can forge a friendship with a Civ by denouncing the same leader, which is neat. Anyway, click on the globe in the top right and hover over the status of the other Civs and a tool-tip should pop up showing green and red text, giving a brief overview of their opinion of you. Things they are usually mad about: settling lands too near to them, building wonders they desired, they consider you a warmongering menace if you ever declare war.

Basically, they get very jealous if you start to pull away in terms of points or start closing in on a victory condition. I've found that I've managed more peaceful games with larger numbers of Civs, just letting them bicker amongst themselves, while keeping a decent sized army so no-one's tempted to try and roll me.