Civilization V

Tzigone

Totally agree about the workers. Left to their own devices they get up to all sorts of things.

I could use a steer on a couple of things...

City states - conquer or leave alone?

Puppet / annex conquered cities?

Transports see to have disappeared, I'm struggling with invading other continents...

Any thoughts very much welcomed!

In Civ 5 all land units become transports when they embark on the ocean. As soon as you research Optics they can do this (they need to be in your lands to get the promotion) and can enter shallow water (lakes and coast). Later when you research Astronomy they can enter ocean tiles. They're vulnerable like this, but can stack with naval units for protection and can get amphibious promotions to toughen them up. The Songhai get a 'war canoes' promotion as well.

Puppet/Annex/Raze depends on what your goals are and the city you've conquered. If it's a crap city (poor location, no luxury or useful strategic resource, no good buildings) just raze it. All conquered cities add 5% to research costs and unhappiness so they need to be able to pull their weight. Annexing also incurs a 10% increase to social policy costs like when you found a new city so keep that in mind. I tend to only annex really good cities, like a Capital with wonders that make it attractive for building units or if it is in a strategic location i.e a coastal city when my empire is all inland.

City States are nearly always better as friends and allies than as property, especially if you have the patronage tree which gets you their science output too. If you can't get them as allies and they are allied with an enemy you might want to conquer them - you can't raze them though so keep in mind my earlier advice about how valuable the city would be. There's also the 'war monger' penalty to consider. When you conquer a city you incur a diplomatic penalty with the other civs. Piss them off too much and you'll find you have no one willing to trade with you and armies marching on your doorstep. Capturing other civ's cities don't cost too much of a penalty depending on how important they are. If it's a defensive war then even less so. If you were to capture a civ's last city though and wiped them out from the game... well genocide is frowned upon. That's what conquering a city state is like. Hover the mouse over a city you are at war with and the tool tip will tell you what war monger penalty you will get.

Should mention at this juncture that the penalty is only incurred with civs you have met... in those early days where it's just you and a neighbour on a continent... no one will believe their stories of what a terrible bully you are when they finally meet you.

You can always reverse this by liberating captured cities! When you conquer a city that was already conquered by your enemy you'll get the option to liberate it and restore it to the original owner. This gets you massive diplo bonuses with other civs - especially the one you liberated and with a city state nets you something like 180 influence. Civs can be brought back from the dead this way too and I think they'll always vote for you as world leader in the world congress. Just don't liberate their capital that's a bad idea.

I did discover one little thing recently, Assyria's UA that grants a free technology known by the city owner upon conquering works on city states too! Very handy.

In Civ 5 all land units become transports when they embark on the ocean. As soon as you research Optics they can do this (they need to be in your lands to get the promotion) and can enter shallow water (lakes and coast).

Do they upgrade if in an allied city state's area too?

Downloaded this via Steam on Monday.

Never played this type of game before and felt that this was a good starting point...

Fuck me, it's overwhelming!!! This is going to take weeks to learn!

Weeks, months, years... What is time anyway but a flimsy man made construct designed to restrict your ability to tend to your true calling? Away with it I say!

Do they upgrade if in an allied city state's area too?

I believe so. Optics is a bit of an odd one really because I'm pretty sure it's the only buff that this happens with. Others like the +15% vs cities Statue of Zeus gives or +1 Move +1 Sight to naval units you get from the Exploration policy kick in wherever your units are.

Downloaded this via Steam on Monday.

Never played this type of game before and felt that this was a good starting point...

Fuck me, it's overwhelming!!! This is going to take weeks to learn!

Weeks, lololololol. :)

You've probably all seen this but just in case you haven't.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/278372-civilisation-beyond-earth-alpha-centauri-without-the-license/#entry9813395

I really should get properly into this. My laptop isn't great so it was a bit sluggish. But if I install it on my desktop it would get the time it deserved.

USA, on a medium map, and I'm completely isolated with Buenos Aires on a southern tundra island. With about a dozen silver deposits, and a deer camp. What a start.

:( It could be worse. You could have Furs for luxuries and no hills.

I've been trying to stick it out with bad starts more lately as most of my recent success came on games where I was like, "oh not again, ffs fine I'll make do" and some total disasters where I've had an amazing start but got complacent and stuffed it all up.

Isolation is always rough though. Especially as I've been trying to play as Assyria a lot lately and really want to exploit siege engines - which means declaring war around turn 70 at the latest.

I tried on King difficulty at the weekend, after only ever playing for fun on Warlord. In both of my first two games, I kept myself to myself, away from the civ on each side of me. Spurned the odd request to trade their horses for my gold, etc. Suddenly, bosh, they both simultaneously declared war on me.

In the third game, I decided to go with the Zulus and tool up straight away with archers and walls, hoping it would make my neighbours go and pick on someone else. Sure enough, I soon had a declaration of friendship with Ethiopia, and some nice trading going on with Spain. All seemed well, and I decided I fancied going for a science win, when bosh, Spain and Ethiopia both simultaneously declared war on me. I managed to keep them at bay and then push them back with hastily-researched and bought Impi, but by the time they came looking for peace I was in a right state and probably miiiiiiles behind everyone else.

What can I do to stop civs suddenly going from 'friendly' to stabbing me in the back? Is it because I refuse their endless requests for an embassy or to trade their horses for my luxuries? They never seem to be willing to make fair trades. Nine times out of ten, whenever I want a luxury off them, they want all my luxuries, an embassy, open borders, and gold per turn in return. For a bit of salt or whatever. Grrr.

I tried on King difficulty at the weekend, after only ever playing for fun on Warlord. In both of my first two games, I kept myself to myself, away from the civ on each side of me. Spurned the odd request to trade their horses for my gold, etc. Suddenly, bosh, they both simultaneously declared war on me.

In the third game, I decided to go with the Zulus and tool up straight away with archers and walls, hoping it would make my neighbours go and pick on someone else. Sure enough, I soon had a declaration of friendship with Ethiopia, and some nice trading going on with Spain. All seemed well, and I decided I fancied going for a science win, when bosh, Spain and Ethiopia both simultaneously declared war on me. I managed to keep them at bay and then push them back with hastily-researched and bought Impi, but by the time they came looking for peace I was in a right state and probably miiiiiiles behind everyone else.

What can I do to stop civs suddenly going from 'friendly' to stabbing me in the back? Is it because I refuse their endless requests for an embassy or to trade their horses for my luxuries? They never seem to be willing to make fair trades. Nine times out of ten, whenever I want a luxury off them, they want all my luxuries, an embassy, open borders, and gold per turn in return. For a bit of salt or whatever. Grrr.

Check the Demographics screen to see where you're at with comparative army strength. In my experience people aren't so keen to stab you in the back when your army is bigger than theirs, I always aim to be rank 2 or 3 in the game. Of course, that always leaves you open to the temptation of being the one doing the stabbing... :twisted:

The way that the computer trades luxuries is quite predictable I've found. If you ask for one that they have only one of they'll require ludicrous things from you, but assuming that they're neutral or better they'll trade you one they have at least two of for 6 or 7 gold a turn, and equally they'll accept those terms from you.

This is awesome. Have changed laptop at the weekend so it runs better now, not reliant on the strategic view, although that was fine.

Is it worth building barracks, they don't seem to have as much benefit as before?

Also is it worth putting effort into faith? I don't really get it so far, but I haven't really played much past middle game so far...too much to keep me busy!

Faith is a must to win even on lower levels now. TBF I think there's too many mechanics to juggle now. I never go for barracks as I tend to be a pacifist, but the offer a good advantage in the early game for aggressive expansion.

Faith is a must but don't worry about founding your own religion too much. It's nearly as good to just adopt someone else's.

Fox: You want to be trading with them anyway. Definitely share embassies, that gives a minor bonus to diplomacy, there really is no reason not to and you need to for things like open borders (essential for tourism victory or just to make more money selling them), declaration of friendships and research agreements (essential for science victory). At the start of the game you can sell them for 1gpt (just remember to buy them back for the same once you have writing). With other stuff - if you aren't using it you might as well be selling it. The standard value is 240g lump for a luxury and the same for 5 of a strategic resource. In gpt terms it normally comes in at 5-7.

That's a really good boost to have, especially early on. I sometimes sell my last copy of a luxury if I can spare the happiness.

If you want to avoid being beaten up then, yes, as PaulM says the A.I will not attack a bigger army under normal circumstances. But there are other ways:

1) Presents. Gift them a luxury or some strategic resource. They like that

2) Set up trade routes to their cities. This gives them gold (and if you have techs they don't) science. The A.I takes into account what it will lose when deciding if it should attack you.

3) Bribe them to attack someone else. See troops building up on your border? Know that certain A.Is love war? (Alex, Atilla, Monty, Shaka e.t.c) Set up a trade and see if you can give them gold and resources to attack someone else. This will keep them off your back while weakening them and one other civ. Atilla loves fighting so much I've had him go to war with monster empires for 2 horses. It was the Industrial Era. Of course it can backfire and make them a lot stronger in the long run.

4) Man up and take it. You can probably beat them. Build walls and archers, you only need 3 or 4 and you can probably weather the initial attack. Soon they'll be asking for peace. You might even get favourable terms out of them so remember to haggle!

Faith is a must to win even on lower levels now. TBF I think there's too many mechanics to juggle now.

This is the key problem with Civ V I think. The base game was too simplified compared to Civ IV, but now they've just thrown in lots and lots of things to keep you busy, not enough of which create especially meaningful strategic decisions.

Finally started playing this last night, it runs fine on my desktop.

Now all I want to do is get back to it. Not sure my partner is going to appreciate a glowing monitor in the corner of the room while she tries to sleep...

Whenever I focus on faith I lose, or winning takes a lot longer. I seem to focus on using my faith to build up my faith and get into faith wars. Whereas I could just build up 1000 faith and get a scientist.

Anyway, as America with noone around I could just focus on tech and ignore building an army. By the time I could leave my island I had a tech lead which I never let up. I did end up settling a fourth city near Russia just to get coal, and lost it 20 turns later thanks to having no army to speak of, but my little island never got invaded and just blasted into space (I went freedom to spend my silver on spaceships, Russia went order and we had a cold war (briefly warm) from the moment we met).

Then I started as Poland. Nearest neighbour was a city state, then the mongols. Then it was just the mongols. I setup a border patrol of archers and bribed other civs to attack them (often didn't need to). By the end I liberated the city state and made the Mongols extinct. The Polish are ridiculously powerful.

Next game I want a domination victory, still haven't had one. With the warmonger penalty I don't like attacking early game, but by end game it's either a slog, or just easier to win some other way.

Well, that attempt at a domination victory failed. Played as Shaka, started on a smallish continent with America, India and Brazil. Whilst everyone was building up a loving threeway relationship I souped up my buffalo soldiers and took Dehli, but let Ghandi live (probably my first mistake). Then marched my soldiers about demanding tribute off City States, before Brazil asked if I was going to go to war with them. Thought I might as well, and took one of their cities with gems, and then they gave me another city with gold to stop the war. However by this stage I had no money, was extremely unhappy, and was lagging in technology behind America. I had to sell buildings and raze cities just to stay viable, and then all 3 nations declared war on me when I had no money, America marched on with it's booming army and I threw in the towel. :/

I do enjoy a dabble with this game. I tend to leave it fort large times between games as it is a bit of a time suck! I get the general basics of this but in terms of planning a strategy I tend to wing it a bit. The last game I played on a slightly higher difficulty level (probably went up to Normal rather than the one below (as you can tell I am not a natural born civilisation visionary!).

Does anyone know of a decent guide that helps with getting the most out of a game - e.g different play strategies that suit particular civilsations etc?

Cheers.