Nintendo Media Summit UK 25 / 02 - USA 24 / 02

shynra

The new Monster Hunter is gonna be the biggest thing ever, isn't it? Hmm, I've never tried the series, but may give this a go if it turns out good.

Monster Hunter is immense. If you have a PSP go buy (or acquire :)) MH2 or Unite and prepare to be captivated.

Tri is the only thing stopping me selling my Wii and may well be my GOTY if Capcom get it right.

So - Nintendo's first party core line up is frankly awesome for the first half of the year...

so what's in the next half?

Are we going to be treated to some OMGWTFBBQ style New Super Mario Bros announcements at E3 showing games coming out at Christmas?

Zelda is a shoe-in for Christmas now, of that there is no doubt. For the casuals, there'll be the relaxation thing... wonder if there'll be anything else.

CAN ANYONE SAY PIKMIN 3?

Just watch as bcass trolls through every single fucking thread! :o

Fuck you too.

If the games are good, they'll be praised. If they're shit, they'll be slated. Personally, I don't hold Team Ninja with any sort of reverence whatsoever, so that's already a bad start for Other M. I've already played S&P 2, and it's not that great (nowhere near as focussed as the first game). The only other things of interest to me are SMG2 and Zelda.

Unfortunately I'm not really seeing Zelda for Xmas, let alone Pikmin 3. I'd love to be proved wrong but if we're getting Another M in Q3, I can't see something as big as Zelda not being announced yet...

There is of course E3 for announcements but I dunno bout another MEGATONNAGE for Xmas... Wii music 2 instead? Unless they've been beavering away on loads of greatness like Zelda, Pikmin, Pilotwings and F-Zero all at the same time, I imagine we'll only get other stuff next year.

EDIT: Massively OT but does anyone else find that Zelda Spirit Tracks advert on telly a bit weird, 'if you liked Prof Layton'? WTF? If you liked a totally static effectively point n click game with brain teasers you'll like an RPG-esque, stylus controlled game? I know they have to sell it but it's a bit of a tenuous link isn't it?

Unfortunately I'm not really seeing Zelda for Xmas, let alone Pikmin 3. I'd love to be proved wrong but if we're getting Another M in Q3, I can't see something as big as Zelda not being announced yet...

There is of course E3 for announcements but I dunno bout another MEGATONNAGE for Xmas... Wii music 2 instead? Unless they've been beavering away on loads of greatness like Zelda, Pikmin, Pilotwings and F-Zero all at the same time, I imagine we'll only get other stuff next year.

EDIT: Massively OT but does anyone else find that Zelda Spirit Tracks advert on telly a bit weird, 'if you liked Prof Layton'? WTF? If you liked a totally static effectively point n click game with brain teasers you'll like an RPG-esque, stylus controlled game? I know they have to sell it but it's a bit of a tenuous link isn't it?

It's working though. My mum was pestering me for my Zelda games the other day.

Quick impressions:

Mario - amazing. Definitely a notch harder than Galaxy. Despite Nintendo's claims that it's 'more than just a sequel', it did feel like more of the same. Crucially, though, it was more of the same but better. Two of the bosses here make Galaxy's guardians look positively dull. And Yoshi's fucking great. Also: some token type things to collect, always slightly off the beaten track. Maybe they unlock later levels or something? The Nintendo reps weren't saying.

Metroid - Hmmm. Lots to love, and it definitely feels different, mostly in a good way. I'm not entirely convinced about the 'point to go into first-person mode' idea. It's clever in principle, but feels slightly awkward in practice. Lots of bits not on a 2D plane, and moving around them with a d-pad felt alien at first, albeit less awkward the more I played. Surround sound through the headphones we were given was fantastic, it looks good in motion and the cutscenes are impressive.

FlingSmash - MotionPlus-enhanced bit of fluff where you bat a spherical ball about very colourful levels. Getting an A rank or higher unlocks the next level. Not sure if there are online leaderboards, but it feels like a score attack kinda game. Fun, but would definitely look better with a budget price.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Sky - Felt a bit odd with the Zapper, but it's a very good game that somehow feels slightly less exciting than its predecessor. Dunno quite why, as it's very similar and (mostly) looks great.

PhotoDojo - Fun-for-a-few-goes-when-drunk DSiWare thing where you're in a scrolling beat-em-up and your mates are the enemies. The ability to add daft samples cannot be underestimated. It's like taking part in your own badly-dubbed karate flick or something. And there's a supremely silly two-player mode where you each hold one side of the DS and use one shoulder button and the face buttons/d-pad to attack.

Had a quick go of Wario Ware DIY, which was also lots of fun. Nintendo's online contests are a great idea - will keep people creating. Hopefully we'll get a group of creative types on here making and sharing levels.

Monster Hunter - Not a fan.

It's working though. My mum was pestering me for my Zelda games the other day.

No I know it is, my missus too, who even saw me playing a lot of Zelda and saying that she'd enjoy it, suddenly asked me about it cos the telly man said it was like Layton....

Amazing that Nintendo have nailed advertising so well in comparison to the utter shit they managed for the Cube. I wonder if they recognise the marketing spend has an effect, or just think it's down to the waggle alone.

PhotoDojo - Fun-for-a-few-goes-when-drunk DSiWare thing where you're in a scrolling beat-em-up and your mates are the enemies. The ability to add daft samples cannot be underestimated. It's like taking part in your own badly-dubbed karate flick or something. And there's a supremely silly two-player mode where you each hold one side of the DS and use one shoulder button and the face buttons/d-pad to attack.

Cheers for the impressions. Worth noting that this (Photo Fighter X in Japan) is only 200 points and if you can get a few mates to do some poses and voice samples for you, it's probably worth its 200 points in gold. Brilliant idea. You get giant and tiny versions of yourself to fight too, complete with low and high-pitched samples of 'Fuck youuuuuu!'.

I think that FlipSmash is a WiiWare game so it should definitely be a budget price.

I didn't get that impression. I'm sure it's a retail release. It seems bigger than a 40Mb game, that's for sure.

Cheers for the impressions. Worth noting that this (Photo Fighter X in Japan) is only 200 points and if you can get a few mates to do some poses and voice samples for you, it's probably worth its 200 points in gold. Brilliant idea. You get giant and tiny versions of yourself to fight too, complete with low and high-pitched samples of 'Fuck youuuuuu!'.

Yeah, it was pretty funny even with other people. Definitely worth 200 points. Just a bit of silly throwaway nonsense. Nice to see Nintendo letting their hair down a bit.

Pity there weren't any WiiWare titles present, nor the new Art Style games which were at the US event (or at least talked about there).

FlingSmash - MotionPlus-enhanced bit of fluff where you bat a spherical ball about very colourful levels. Getting an A rank or higher unlocks the next level. Not sure if there are online leaderboards, but it feels like a score attack kinda game. Fun, but would definitely look better with a budget price.

I was somehow hoping that this was a kind of remake/update of Cosmic Smash... it sounds like it from your description! But alas it isn't.... it looks not bad, but I want a new Cosmic Smash!!!

Why won't someone do a remake.. it's absolutely crying for Wii-mote gameplay!!! And get the stoned dude to do the voiceovers...