Portal 2

HarMGM

Co-op really clicks when you stop explaining the minutest detail what your doing to the other player, you just keep it to what they need to know. This obviously requires you to trust what the other person is saying. You kind of end up just both looking around the levels independently, then once one of you's got an idea you say to the other 'can you hop in there/put a portal there' etc. If they're right then great, if they've got the wrong end of the stick, at least it's usually wrong in a funny way. Sometimes you go through a whole level without really ever having a clue how you solved it, because your hand is being held so much. Perhaps this increases the replay value if you play with someone less intelligent? It seems one person is usually the one milling around pressing buttons and doing stuff, and the other is kind of orchestrating it a bit. I wonder if most people alternate between the two roles, or maybe they just stick with the one they're more comfortable.

It also works when you play it how Valve suggested; With someone you usually play games with and/or some that thinks like you. There were so many times where both my mate and I figured out the puzzle at the same time. There were times were I thought of a clunky way to do things and he had the more elegant solution and vice versa. I do agree there are roles that one usually slips into but we often did say "hey man, you take control of this room." or you start this up and do the second part. In the end its all about communication...and Science :D

yeah some I got earlier, other my mate took the lead. We only got stumped on one of them

A better end for me would have been

a huge machine behind the doors. You both press buttons and it cranks ominously into life only to reveal small slices of cake rolling off a conveyor back into Aperture. Then you just see a glimpse of the humans. :)

And finished :) . Great game, and very enjoyable although I think I was slightly wearying towards to the end of it. It didn't outstay its welcome, but had the end not come when it did, I'd probably have tired of it a little. But, you just can't hate a game that's been crafted so lovingly, and so very...very cleverly.

I can't stop thinking about this game; I just want to keep playing it over and over...

Completely agree. I've even started dreaming about portals and when I've been walking around Leeds I'm getting the Tony Hawk-esque vision but looking at white walls and wondering thinking where I could set some portals.

I find it stunning how Valve have managed to create a character like GLaDOS who, for the majority of the games, is just a voice. There's more character in her than most other development studios manage in 4 games. She's fucking awesome.

IMO its the co-op robots who steal the show in this one. A sphere & a turret granted arms & legs so they can run around completing tests, which they do with all their little quirks that make them seem more human.

On the subject of the co-op BTW, I note from the DLC images that Gels &

Old Aperture

will be in the expansion. Are gels not present in the current co-op game then?

I hope they can work some of the deleted stuff like the Vacuum tubes & wall-walking Gel in too.

About the "Bring your Daughter to Work Day!" displays.

One shows as being from Alix with a heart over the i.

I have a reasoning to my suspicions of a spurious possible connection to Half-Life 2 but there are things that may be considered spoilers so I've labelled it as such.

post-29-069523200 1304254143_thumb.jpg

Now I could be wrong here but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's actually Alyx with the heart meant to be the top of the Y and with the amount of hearts on there I'm going to say the Companion Cube was originally created by Eli to keep Alyx company while he was working which explains why she always likes sentient technology to be her companion. Until Gordo comes along obviously.

If I'm right that would mean Eli worked for Aperture and maybe Breen too. If this were the case could it be Breen was leaking Aperture's scientific advances to Black Mesa in return for a top job with them? If so I hate Breen more than ever as he effectively killed Cave as he became so increasingly desperate to compete with Black Mesa he took the moon rock smoothy :(

Cave is so awesome that if he and Breen met in a fight to the death he'd have stuffed a combustible lemon down Breen's trousers and watched the bastard burn.

I really enjoyed the first game as it was a bit of an unknown. Especially when the twist happens, it really made me think of the scenery in a play falling away to reveal the gritty back stage area. The whole world felt like it was set in a warehouse. Now portal 2, what were the designers of aperture science thinking? It's almost like they hired every villain lair creator possible. Lots of high ceilings, rickety walk ways, suspended rooms all with death below. Just made me smile thinking of how they designed the whole place with very little thought.

Especially the rooms in the lift shaft area of the game. Who the hell worked there and why?

When i first started the game i got bored very quickly after losing wheatley. The puzzel rooms got dull and i was disappointed thinking it was just going to be more of Portal 1, when the very start hinted at something bigger. Then the twist happened with Wheatley becoming evil and the game did change and became much better because of it. I loved the obvious Bioshock take on things and the filling in on the back story. I really didn't know if they could take Portal and make a sequel which wasn't just more of the same but they did just that with an interesting story and characters.

I really hope we see a portal 3 where they get you to make the puzzle rooms solutions. Portal 2 was really starting to show near the end that it was a case of finding that perfectly placed bit of white wall and knowing what to do with it. For portal 3 it might be good if you was given bits of white wall and could position them where you wanted to to solve the puzzle rooms. Would make for some interesting sand box stuff instead of just the one way to solve a room that we currently have.

I missed the 'sprint' function...

Portal 2 was really starting to show near the end that it was a case of finding that perfectly placed bit of white wall and knowing what to do with it.

Damn right. Too much zoom requirement I do think.

Bit of a speed run video, I'll spoiler it just in case. This is the chamber you can get an achievement for completing in under 70 seconds so I know it pretty well as it took me a few goes to get a couple of seconds under, this guy does it in less than half that.

I missed the 'sprint' function...

Damn right. Too much zoom requirement I do think.

Stupid question, but do either of the Portal games have a sprint button.

The vids I have watched, people seem to walk a lot faster than I do on my 360 version.

Feel free to mug me off in a RTFM style!

Stupid question, but do either of the Portal games have a sprint button.

Fuck me sideways via a portal. They don't. Must have been a Half Life 2 hangover. Perhaps the movement speed is lessened in Portal 2. I'm sure the PC wielding people could mod it. I have no idea why I thought Portal had a sprint function. :facepalm:

I think she walks a bit slower in Portal compared to Portal 2, as well.

Perhaps it is the nature of the levels that mindfucked mine mind.

Edit: Having just dipped back into Still Alive, I think Portal 2 didn't quite live up to my expectations. Stephen Merchant is almost as much of a cunt as Ricky Gervais (whom he derives most his delivery from). :ph34r:

Im STILL on chapter fucking 7. I get sod all time to play the game and it just feels like this chapter has been going on for fucking ever. I dont particularly like cave johnston, (his jokes tend to be the same thing over and over ("oh hey if youve grown a 2nd head, dont worry, thats just science etc") i dont like the gels, and i wish the game had ended with the finale of chapter 6, which was absolutely amazing. If it had, id have given it a 9, im just tired of it now. Its exactly how i felt at the end of portal. The last 2 chambers just dragged on and on and sullied the end of the game for me.

I dont particularly like cave johnston, (his jokes tend to be the same thing over and over ("oh hey if youve grown a 2nd head, dont worry, thats just science etc")

i kind of liked this.

in portal 1 you felt like the blatant disregard for human safety was down to the nature of GLaDOS being an AI and not giving a toss about petty meat bags like you. in portal 2 you find out that actually that attitude is part of the founding principles of Aperture Science.

I don't like seeing this negativity creeping in. I loved it all and I want everyone else to love it all. How can anyone hate the gels? I was happy enough just to stand in front of a portal and get the white stuff to spray all over my face. It allowed me to get in touch with my inner Lindsay Lohan.