Portal 2

HarMGM

Regarding Chell's origins:

It's worth reiterating that one of the Potato batteries in the "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" display area was made by Chell (this has been mentioned before but a lot of people miss it), which adds further support to the theory that she was at the very least the daughter of an Aperture employee.

Regarding Chell's origins:

It's worth reiterating that one of the Potato batteries in the "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" display area was made by Chell (this has been mentioned before but a lot of people miss it), which adds further support to the theory that she was at the very least the daughter of an Aperture employee.

Its also the only one that has managed to Survive & Flourish, growing up through the ceiling. A reference to the fact that she never gives up & is another reason why I think that whatever waits for her on the Surface, she will survive & Flourish too just like her Potato. ;)

She's not, in the GiantBomb spoilercast featuring several members of Valve, they say there is nothing to that rumour at all.

I think it's pretty plain to see that Chell is the daughter of Caroline and Cave. (Possibly adopted daughter, but still). Every clue points toward it. Mysterious figure in the back of the 'Portrait of a lady' (historically portraits like this only ever feature family members), Chell's surname being 'redacted' etc. I think the darker implication is that Glados realises this (as her Caroline personality resurfaces) and then pretends to delete the Caroline element of her personality and ejects Chell from the facility to save Chell from knowing the truth, and also because she wants to grant her daughter freedom of course. The translated opera lyrics fit this theory too, at a push. She then sends up the original companion cube as a final (Glados logic) token of affection. The brilliant thing is you can miss all this subtext and still glean a hearty chuckle by taking it all at face value. The song lyrics at the end imply Caroline is still a part of Glados despite her supposedly 'deleting' Caroline too.

Valve being Valve, this is all left unsaid and heavily reliant on interpretation. But it all fits for me. There's a very dark poetry to this interpretation which I personally think fits well with the information that we have and the tone of the series.

Regarding the portrait.

I don't think it has anything to do with chell. Its part of a painting that ties into various references to Greek mythology found in the game. http://i.imgur.com/znF7X.jpg

Most of which is equally subjective, but the painting looks pretty clear.

Completed it last night, what an amazing game, some amazing puzzles, amazing characters helped by some amazing voice acting.

Infact the only thing about portal 2 that wasnt amazing was that day I made a huge mistake and tried to play it hungover. :wacko:

Skipped a few pages to avoid spoilers, but

This game is fucking amazing. GlaDOS is so utterly evil in it. Just done a room where

You have to "catch" a cube in midair - the introduction to the aerial springboard things

And it was a genuine "Oh wow, that is so brilliant!" moment. Real huge grin afterwards.

I'm only resisting it by putting it out of my mind. Yeah, so subscribing to this thread will help with that...

Loving the analysis that's going on here, some really nice touches that complement the face value wonder of the thing beautifully.

... good point.. I'm sure my baby daughter can do without nappies for a week or so :)

Brother man, step your nappy buying game up!

Asda, 252 Huggies Super Dry for £28 quid. That's like a months worth of nappies!

But Portal 2 with the money I just saved you!

Great fun but I did find myself wanting it to end sooner rather than later once I was about 60% in. It reminded me of MGS2 in a couple of ways.

Firstly, it made it feel like the game was coming to an end much earlier than the actual end so I found myself wanting it to end. And the introduction of the gels just did nothing for me. Not keen on any of them.

And there seemed to be less walls to actually place portals on? A lot of it seemed like you just had to find somewhere to put the portal and then reverse engineer the solution! Not all bad, but some were zzz.

Still, had a fun time with it and looking forward to coop.

I'm finding it annoyingly contrived now.

In the sections where you are being tested , yes i can imagine they have special materials that resist the portal gun and therefore they allow you certain surfaces you can portal through.

But outside why the fuck cant i portal everywhere? instead i have to look for the odd section of white wall which as pointed out by Soong just solves the problem for you.

What a fucking useless tool!

And the retro section is fine except how come they had quantum technology back then ? Or maybe that is illuminated later in the story.

In the sections where you are being tested , yes i can imagine they have special materials that resist the portal gun and therefore they allow you certain surfaces you can portal through.

But outside why the fuck cant i portal everywhere? instead i have to look for the odd section of white wall which as pointed out by Soong just solves the problem for you.

And the retro section is fine except how come they had quantum technology back then ? Or maybe that is illuminated later in the story.

They explain midway through why the Portal gun only works on light wall surfaces/panels. Nice piece of retconning in my opinion.

Yeah, everyone knows portals don't work like that in real life...

I don't think that that is the explanation for why Portals only work on certain surfaces, its more that they have to be perfectly flat & the right texture which the

Conversion Gel

replicates, test chamber panels are designed to be & concrete walls are naturally, which explains why you can use it in the behind the scenes sections of both games & presumably would be perfect in a city & totally useless in a forest.

Agree with others that Chapter 7 wasn’t that great. I enjoyed it, but it was less interesting to look at, and it seemed to drag on. I much prefer the test chamber environments.

HOWEVER, Chapter 8 is AWESOME! The puzzles seem to be fresh and interesting again and the dialogue is back to being interesting and funny.

I agree with Soong that a lot of the time it is looking for the correct surface type (they are often marked or have little grids on them to make them stand out) and then work out from there how you can use it. Its still fun, but removes the element of feeling like you are solving the puzzle yourself, perhaps in your own unique way, rather than following a pre prescribed way.

How many chapters are there?