IGNORED

How To Make It In America

Micky

It's about a pair of new york selvedge denim nuts who decide to make their own brand of jeans. It stars a guy from One Tree Hill, Shitbreak from American Pie, Shannon Sossamon, and Kid Cudi.

Three episodes in and this is already looking like it's going to be the best show of the year.

It's got that classic HBO sheen of authenticity/quality to it, too. There was a cool film called The TV Set that came out fairly recently which pretty much explains why shows like this can never be made on the regular networks.

I wouldn't class it as the best show of this or any other year but I am enjoying it, much in the same way I enjoy Entourage – it's light, very disposable, a nice enough way to kill 22 minutes.

GQ or New York magazine described it as Entourage meets lastnightsparty.com which I think is a pretty accurate description.

What got me interested in the show was the cast – Luis Guzman, Victor Rasuk (from Raising Victor Vargas) and Shannyn Sossamon :) although unfortunately she's only been in the one ep so far. Also, I always prefer Guzman when he plays a more excitable character, an up & comer, like Pachanga in Carlito's Way rather than a lumbering heavy.

It does nothing new really but any show that features Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings' This Land Is Your Land gets a pass from me.

Griffin Dunne :)

Ep1/2/3.5 had real promise, I like the contrast of hustling at 3 levels, but I find myself skipping past the chick-chat bits and by the end of 4 the aunthenticity had waned and it all sadly started to get cosy and feel like a cooler 'Friends'...I'll stick with it for another Ep or two.

Agreed. His ex should have been written out of the show completely and replaced with more denim-talk. I always used to get bored when the guys would start talking about Sloane in Entourage and couldn't wait for them to start talking movies again...

Another thing. They've done the 'someone/something tells them it's not going to happen...white guy pretends the dream is over...PSYCH' ending like once per episode now.

Ep1/2/3.5 had real promise, I like the contrast of hustling at 3 levels, but I find myself skipping past the chick-chat bits and by the end of 4 the aunthenticity had waned and it all sadly started to get cosy and feel like a cooler 'Friends'...I'll stick with it for another Ep or two.

I agree. Promising start to the series then suddenly they started throwing in all the bits with the main guys ex and the whole show came grinding to a halt. When it was just the two main guys with funny little interludes of Luis Guzman trying to sell Rasta Monsta it was a fun East Coast Entourage. Its gone downhill very quickly in the last two episodes.

I really liked episode four. I agree the show is gradually losing that touch of authenticity/originality/ as it goes on. But with half hour shows like this - Entourage, Weeds, Californication - naturally, a pretty large part of it will be domestic soap opera.

It's good fun. The hedge fund guy is great.

• 2 weeks later...

What I really don't understand is how the both guys are totally skint but are driving around in a brand new Range Rover with an estimated value in the US of about $40,000+

Surely they could just flog that and use the money to set up their business?

It's a bit too hipster for me.

What I really don't understand is how the both guys are totally skint but are driving around in a brand new Range Rover with an estimated value in the US of about $40,000+

Surely they could just flog that and use the money to set up their business?

It's a bit too hipster for me.

It's Gingy's car. They said so in the first episode.

Ah must have missed that!

Easily done, I'm sure it was just a throwaway line, like "Sure was nice of Gingy to let us borrow her car".

The latest episode was like Bizarro Entourage. Where Vincent Chase parties it up, hits an obstacle, overcomes obstacle by the end of the episode, How To make It.... has them almost constantly hitting another hurdle at the end of each ep. Fast becoming somewhat formulaic.

Also, does anyone else think this show is somewhat... tame? Not to say that cursing and gratuitous T & A is a must, but considering the setting, characters, demographic and network, they do feel odd in their absence.

I'm totally with you on that one Mr 'n' Spices.

That latest episode was chock full of Yay! Oh no! Yay! Oh no! Yay! Totally formulaic and it feels like they transported Entourage to New York and wrapped everyone up. No one is ugly at all.

The way that Cam pulls women after chatting to them for like 9 seconds is also a tad unbelievable. Actually totally and utterly ridiculous!

With Chase and the boys you can understand. He's a movie star with an entourage.

Cam is giving away free Rasta Monsta and he pulls...nah fuck that.

No one is ugly at all.

To be fair, you could level that criticism at a lot of shows. Regardless, I wouldn't say this show is exactly chock-a-block with beautiful people. If anything, I'd argue that they have the look of people down pat. Consider the circles the characters move, everyone looks like they belong.

The way that Cam pulls women after chatting to them for like 9 seconds is also a tad unbelievable. Actually totally and utterly ridiculous!

With Chase and the boys you can understand. He's a movie star with an entourage.

Cam is giving away free Rasta Monsta and he pulls...nah fuck that.

If Cam were pulling women in a Hank Moody fashion, then I would agree but I'd say he's very believable. He's a chancer and a bit of a lovable rogue. I've got mates who are not a million miles away from his character. Annoying as some of them may be (the ex-girlfriend for example), I think the characters are fairly realistic on the whole.