IGNORED

Justified

russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, the last episode was fantastic. Criminal really that a show into its 5th season, only has a 6 page thread. More people should be watching it.

And personally, I'd disagree with Curtis above. The first couple of seasons aren't mediocre. A bit different maybe, but not mediocre.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. I'm coming round to the fact that this season's the weakest so far. It's not bad, it's just, well, not as good as it should be. There's a sense that the stakes aren't high enough and although the Crowes are kicking around I can't get a handle on who the main antagonist is. We're eight episodes in too; by now we should have some idea of how every thing's going to ramp up for the finale. Contrast that with the first episode of the new season of The Americans: already feels like that show's going to be monopolising Graham Yost's "holy shit" quotient for this year.

That said, as a big Elmore Leonard fan, even in his weaker novels (and boy, were there a few: Road Dogs read like Tumblr fan-fiction) there were still individual moments and dialogue that shone. I'm getting a similar vibe Justified at the moment.

"OK, new deal. You're both under arrest since you're a fugitive and you're a dick."

Antagonist characters like Danny Crowe really irritate me, but not for the reasons they're supposed to:

In scenarios where we've seen people killed for the slightest error, his aggressive idiocy would've have led him to an early death at the hands of... well, most of the cast. The fact that they let him get away with it takes me out of the story a bit.

It's like a game where you've been despatching soldiers left and right with headshots, and then one is inexplicably a bullet sponge to create a lazy antagonist. I'd rather see a half dozen more Crowes appear and get offed, than one who is seemingly immune to the usual rules.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...