Minecraft - Better Together update now available

When I try to join the server I get :

Connection Lost

Internal client error: java.net.UnknownHostException: www.minecraft.net

Also the site says this

Connected Players:

em.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at MCAdmin.Commands.WhoCommand.Run(Player ply

String[] cmdparts) at MCAdmin.RconConnection.RecvThread()

After a fair bit of research and totally messing it up multiple times, I've finally finished the wiring for my redstone torch bridge. Was not expecting redstone to be such a headfuck. The youtube videos were quite misleading so I ended up wiring it myself; not such a good idea.

Pleased it's done, now just need to clad the thing to hide the wires.

5375628065_9a4bb401c3_b.jpg

Wall at the end is to stop creepers blowing the wiring up for now. :blush:

That Love MMO by that Eskil guy had a kind of a "rounded cube" shape to the world because the graphics kind of had a blocky style. That would be a cool thing for Minecraft, because the graphics are even more blocky.

Notch has been talking to Eskil about having him help out with the graphics.

Can't remember where I heard it though - I think it's in here somewhere. :sherlock:

I've spent part of this evening doing some investigation into whether a free instance of the Amazon EC2 platform will be beefy enough to run a Minecraft server on. Anyone who doesn't care can skip this post, but the short answer is no :)

I set myself up with a fairly 'minimal' console-only installation of Debian, running in 613MB RAM (what Amazon EC2 offers you), with no swap space. I assume that's a similar deal to what you get on EC2. I fired up the Minecraft server with its Java heap limited to 612MB - it moaned that things weren't going to be pretty. I connected and started riding a minecart from Mukville Grand Central towards the stadium. I'd got about halfway when things in my PuTTY window started to look a bit dubious...

http://dogmang.com/minecraft/top.png

A few seconds later, uh oh:

http://dogmang.com/minecraft/fail.png

And then I got binned off my PuTTY session. At the Linux console:

http://dogmang.com/minecraft/kp.png

Impressive. I've never seen Linux completely obliterated! It makes all the lights on your keyboard blink. Pretty. All in all, I don't think 613MB RAM will cut it for a Minecraft server!

I've spent part of this evening doing some investigation into whether a free instance of the Amazon EC2 platform will be beefy enough to run a Minecraft server on. Anyone who doesn't care can skip this post, but the short answer is no :)

I set myself up with a fairly 'minimal' console-only installation of Debian, running in 613MB RAM (what Amazon EC2 offers you), with no swap space. I assume that's a similar deal to what you get on EC2. I fired up the Minecraft server with its Java heap limited to 612MB - it moaned that things weren't going to be pretty. I connected and started riding a minecart from Mukville Grand Central towards the stadium. I'd got about halfway when things in my PuTTY window started to look a bit dubious...

http://dogmang.com/minecraft/top.png

A few seconds later, uh oh:

http://dogmang.com/minecraft/fail.png

And then I got binned off my PuTTY session. At the Linux console:

http://dogmang.com/minecraft/kp.png

Impressive. I've never seen Linux completely obliterated! It makes all the lights on your keyboard blink. Pretty. All in all, I don't think 613MB RAM will cut it for a Minecraft server!

Worth trying though, eh. Might help if I show you some server info from a survival multiplayer mode with 2 people playing. To me, these show that your RAM is fine but something else is up...

Across the week.

5376393244_48f73798ae_z.jpg

Across the day.

5376393154_6874c05646_z.jpg

Hmm, that's interesting! I realised just now that it was a bit stupid to try doing all that on a 64-bit machine, since memory usage is bound to be higher for the same, you know, stuff. I could try it again with a 32-bit host.

Minecraft.net seems to be knackered again so that's all the experimentation I'm going to do for now!

Yeah, it's interesting! After reading those posts I tried again on a 32-bit host, still with 613MB RAM, and tried limiting Java's heap space to 512MB. I was able to make it all the way to the stadium in a minecart without a crash, although Java hit its maximum size limit before I got there. I did get a few "Can't keep up!" messages in the Minecraft server console, but it all seemed pretty smooth in-game! That was with my draw distance on full too.

So there you go. Running the Minecraft server with such a limited amount of RAM really can work, and you can have a fast server for free!

So it turns out I can't remember how much RAM my own servers have, and when I struggled to get minecraft running at all it was only then I noticed xerxes has a rather modest 256MB, instead of the 512 I originally thought. I did get it running, but it couldn't handle a single player so good job with EC2, dogmang.

tell you what this needs, minecart track switches to change lines.

You can :)

I run a cart over a switch that is redwired to a Y junction. If you use a stone switch, and have enough momentum to "scrape" over it back to a track section, it only triggers if the cart is occupied. Makes a great auto-return system for carts that you got out of my accident or missed.

I guess you could use a manual switch though, with a switchback ramp (ramp up to dead end, lever at top player must hit and minecart returns due to gravity or even a triggered booster in a holding pen).

There is actually a point mechanic. If you make a t-junction, then put some redstone next to it, one corner will be favoured (something to do with direction). If you supply power, it'll flip. You must know this Masu, have I just missed the point of the question?

There is actually a point mechanic. If you make a t-junction, then put some redstone next to it, one corner will be favoured (something to do with direction). If you supply power, it'll flip. You must know this Masu, have I just missed the point of the question?

Yeah, is what I was saying, switching tracks already is possible - unless I missed the point?

confused / 10 :)

There's a hole near the centre circle, the lava is down the drop.

Also, after that 20 minute walk i was mightily disappointed by tunisiaville! It was just a single house! But what do i get for solving the mystery prize?

There's a tunisiaville? :blink:

Does anyone know a good 'minecart 101' guide? I've just started messing with them and while riding them around a small 32 piece track is oddly amusing I'd like to start a decent transit system.

Have a look on youtube for guides on boosters, then have a play around with using redstone to power points. You can do pretty much anything with that :)

There's a hole near the centre circle, the lava is down the drop.

That should be filled in. Myself, Alan stock, elmo I think and others got slightly naughty with dynamite under the pitch at one point. Then we sealed it all up thinking no one would find it again :P