IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

Those Yogscast Minecraft videos are absolutely incredible. I've not played the game for well over 2 month but they've really captured my imagination and got me fired up to return for some Multiplayer Survival.

They got me really fired up to play single player again! Watched the last episode last night and it was just 2 guys (and Old_Peculiar) running through a tunnel in Minecraft for 15 minutes or so.

But it was awesome :wub:

Thanks to whoever pointed out that you can get a 64-bit version of Java, if you browse to the site in 64-bit IE. I don't think it improved my performance much, but it's good to know I've given it the best possible chance. More importantly, while I was testing Minecraft in 64-bit, I broke through into a huge cavern system near my mine! No dungeons yet though - disappointing. :(

Been looking at pics of peoples Minecraft survival mode bases and getting really inspired to make mine better :) Added my first rail track today from my base down to bedrock need to figure out boosters so i can travel up hill as well now :)

Is it me or does it really need a repair option so you can spend ore to repair a tool before it breaks?

Been looking at pics of peoples Minecraft survival mode bases and getting really inspired to make mine better :) Added my first rail track today from my base down to bedrock need to figure out boosters so i can travel up hill as well now :)

Is it me or does it really need a repair option so you can spend ore to repair a tool before it breaks?

Repairs: Definitely.

Boosters work on the assumption that carts are slightly more than 1 block wide, and as such carts directly adjacent break physics, glitch out, and immediately start travelling at terminal velocity. However, they also push each other out the way if you just lay 2 tracks next to each other and send a minecart moving down one.

So what you have to do is lock them together using a little bit of sloped track to basically slide one next to the other either coming up or going down- thus they lock together but don't push each other out of the way, and go rocketing off. Just get one of them to peel off or hit a block to separate them: both maintain their speed.

... youtube's probably a better bet >_<

Same happens on my machine if I just try to run 'java' from the command line. You need to specify the full path to where your Java executable lives. On my machine it's in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\

Just checked how my .jar file association is set up in Windows Explorer - it points to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1"

Where %1 is the full path to the .jar file you double-clicked. So if you try that at the command line it should work! It'll just be C:\Program Files\... if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, though.

guys, you couldve just used winrar ;)

Is there any end to minecraft? I mean is there an edge to the world?

The world is said to be about eight times the size of the surface of the earth. I think people have used glitches to get to the "edge" of the world, things start going a bit fucked up. But in practical terms, it's infinite.

Anyway, it's been going unanswered: will the rllmuk SMP server be working again at any time soon? And when it is, any chance of the IP being added to the first post to save delving through the thread?

Answers much appreciated. Ta.

I was going to suggest that, but it depends if they were trying to open the JAR file in order to mess about with the contents (i.e. apply a mod) or to run the game. Winrar isn't going to help with the latter! :P

You are correct, it was to run something like a program, not just edit the contents.

As mentioned before, I have a monster eating machine built into my moat that has a seperate "spider trap" to save me from designing a machine that works on both humanoid and odd-shaped mobs. Instead I have to go down and stab the spiders in the trap to kill them. I was busy spending a couple of minecraft days designing a door control system based on an XOR gate in the back garden (as you do) when I noticed the light was on. It seems that if I don't clear the trap, the system gets a bit, uh, backed up...

5324724185_5eafae3458.jpg

I wound up having to kill about 3 spiders, and maybe 10 other mobs went down the hatch afterwards.

As mentioned before, I have a monster eating machine built into my moat that has a seperate "spider trap" to save me from designing a machine that works on both humanoid and odd-shaped mobs. Instead I have to go down and stab the spiders in the trap to kill them. I was busy spending a couple of minecraft days designing a door control system based on an XOR gate in the back garden (as you do) when I noticed the light was on. It seems that if I don't clear the trap, the system gets a bit, uh, backed up...

Try and get a bit of cactus in there to kill the spiders for you.

Yeah, I should get to that. Loot dropped in the later stages of the system seems to reach the output at the end flawlessly, so it wouldn't matter that they were dropping string before the proper end of the run. I had a mad idea for reworking the slot so that it gradually stacks spiders in a 2x2 column for neat management, though, which appeals to my sense of the absurd.

I'm enjoying the new Yogscast series. This time they're playing on a custom-built "survival island" map, trying to survive and thrive with limited resources. Nowhere near as epic as the sinister happenings in Terrorvale, but still the same fun banter, and the island is quite an interesting setup. I'm learning about Minecraft farming along with them - never bothered with it myself!

Yeah, I should get to that. Loot dropped in the later stages of the system seems to reach the output at the end flawlessly, so it wouldn't matter that they were dropping string before the proper end of the run. I had a mad idea for reworking the slot so that it gradually stacks spiders in a 2x2 column for neat management, though, which appeals to my sense of the absurd.

I cant remember if I posted this before- and CBA to trawl through my old minecraft posts ;) - but I came across this that someone on another forum somewhere posted and took a screenshot. Kudos to them whoever they were.

I dont know if your design or methods are the same, I still havent began to make machines but I will today sometime, but I find stuff like this inspires often quite different ideas:

post-5095-014264400 1294316215_thumb.jpg

I'm enjoying the new Yogscast series. This time they're playing on a custom-built "survival island" map, trying to survive and thrive with limited resources. Nowhere near as epic as the sinister happenings in Terrorvale, but still the same fun banter, and the island is quite an interesting setup. I'm learning about Minecraft farming along with them - never bothered with it myself!

The start of part 4 is amazing. :lol:

Oooh. I never though of custom maps before.

Would anyone object if we tried some out on the muk survival server?

Could make some interesting games!

If you ever reset the server, please do post the map here available for download before you do - a group of us have done a staggering amount of work off the beaten trail and it'd be a loss if it were wiped.

I cant remember if I posted this before- and CBA to trawl through my old minecraft posts ;) - but I came across this that someone on another forum somewhere posted and took a screenshot. Kudos to them whoever they were.

I dont know if your design or methods are the same, I still havent began to make machines but I will today sometime, but I find stuff like this inspires often quite different ideas:

post-5095-014264400 1294316215_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'm using a similar design. You can simplify it by using glass walls for the descending part, mobs assume it's just an open space they can walk into and don't try to stay above the water surface. Bit of a cheat but it made my job easier. I wholeheartedly recommend playing about with those sorts of systems. But, uh, remember to deactivate them before you try to do maintenance or adjustments, no matter how much of a pain it may be. I blew myself up with creepers the system had eaten a few times before I learned my lesson.

Ok i have to own up i'm totally addicted :)

My base grows from strength to strength I now have a floating island tree orchard / farm and my first monster trap that finally seems to work after much tweaking and some dying. Soon i will extend it to create a monster mashing moat around my whole base. Then i will move on to create a minecart track from the spawn to home.

Hours of fun!

EDIT

While im here how do i make those isometric screen shots of the map, theres an example in the first post on this thread.