IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

OK, so I know you guys are all pretty much awesome anyway, but I just logged onto the RLLMUK server to see what was happening, and you've all basically outdone your fucking selves. Unbelievable. Literally every direction holds some crazy magical structure crafted beautifully from the earth. Here's a couple of hasty screenshots I took as a taste for those already wondering whether they're missing out - and this is in no way at all representative of how seriously impressive this place is:

Mine01.jpg

Mine02.jpg

Mine03.jpg

Mine04.jpg

Mine05.jpg

Pure fucking inspiration - let's see more love for everyone who's contributed to this please.

Thats really some impressive stuff, I am just considering a 2nd storey for my sandcastle at the moment after re-building it after my "Under mining my own castle built out of sand on sand" disaster and I thought it was looking pretty cool.

It looks shit now.

Once I have finished making my first spawn point base safe, I feel I have to build some kinda huge impressive structure asap to... validate my world!

Those 3d sculptures are impressive as shit. I love a good sprite remake in minecraft, but actually making a 3d statue blows them all out of the fucking water!

You might even say that Mario one pisses all over them...

(Heheh, and I just took a shower in his filthy stream...)

I've been noticing something odd. Namely, that running minecraft cripples my internet speeds for everything else. I've been trying to connect to the otaku server, but all I'm getting is a few fragments floating in an endless sky. I tried doing some port forwarding but that didn't really help... advice?

Small technical question please. I've recently bought a new computer and I think my graphics card is a weak point in the overall system. Given how good this game looks and the importance of being able to see quite far into the distance to make out towers and markers, I think I should upgrade. I'd love to run this at full pelt without it being sluggish and jerky, which is it as the moment. So if you don't mind, could someone advise me on what I should do? I really just want to make sure that the bottleneck is the graphics card and nothing else, and then possibly be recommended something from ebuyer.com that isn't too expensive (is £50 realistic?).

Here's my Direct X output:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/2/2011, 17:54:27
Machine name: DAVIDHEATH-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire M3910
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 5120MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5048MB RAM
Page File: 2502MB used, 7589MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_04271025&REV_12
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

My laptop is basically exactly the same spec as that, i3 processor, Intel HD Graphics, the works - it has less memory but I recall someone saying Minecraft is limited to a gig anyway. It runs like a dog on said laptop, but on my desktop, which has an old-fashioned Core2Duo and the same amount of RAM with the addition of a several years old 8600GTS, it runs pixel-perfect with graphics on Far and Fancy.

GPU be important, yo.

My laptop is basically exactly the same spec as that, i3 processor, Intel HD Graphics, the works - it has less memory but I recall someone saying Minecraft is limited to a gig anyway. It runs like a dog on said laptop, but on my desktop, which has an old-fashioned Core2Duo and the same amount of RAM with the addition of a several years old 8600GTS, it runs pixel-perfect with graphics on Far and Fancy.

GPU be important, yo.

I'd defo jump on the gfx card there

Great - at least it's easily solvable.

What about something like this?

Is that compatible with my system, as it seems ideal and is quite agreeably affordable.

The graphics card I'm using is - as I just discovered - so old that Overclockers, the place I bought if from, no longer think it exists, so that card should be fine. Assuming your system has PCI-E slots (which it does) that should do the trick.