Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Survival is probably the authentic experience, but I've never touched it. I play Creative with my niece and nephews. You can just get on with building things without worrying about resources.

Yeah, Survival is the "game".  Creative is digital lego.

I found Creative a little dull tbh.

6 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The console UI is still different. Can't speak about the other stuff.

I played it got about 30 mins when it first came out. It crashed 4 times and I've never played it since.

It makes sense to have a single application, and it's tricky to do that across devices. I don't like the mobile one, but my daughter dances around the interface like it's completely intuitive, even on a small tablet.

They're surely addressing stability concerns, though. Hit the bug report thing if you're still seeing them, can't fix something you're unaware of.

3 hours ago, ronin said:

I would recommend spending some time with the Tutorial world, to learn how to do the basic stuff in the game before venturing into Survival. I use to make a copy of the Survival world in Creative (by copying the seed), and play around with stuff like the Eye of Ender to locate strongholds and the End portal. And generally scope the biomes out, as you have Elytra's wings to fly around. And blow a lot of stuff up to look for valuable sources.

*cough* Cheat *Cough*

;)

3 player survival on the PS4 with my two girls was some of the best shared gaming we'd ever had. I would have platinumed it except that I couldn't be arsed to do the online trophies. Did everything else in survival though, which was very tough at times

8 hours ago, Danster said:

3 player survival on the PS4 with my two girls was some of the best shared gaming we'd ever had. I would have platinumed it except that I couldn't be arsed to do the online trophies. Did everything else in survival though, which was very tough at times

I don’t think there’s any online trophies for the platinum are there? You can do the diamond throwing trophy in split screen and the subsequent trophy packs with online multi don’t count towards platinum I thought.

1 minute ago, monsly said:

I don’t think there’s any online trophies for the platinum are there? You can do the diamond throwing trophy in split screen and the subsequent trophy packs with online multi don’t count towards platinum I thought.

Ah yes, I have got the platinum, it was possibly the expansions I was thinking about. Trying to 100% it.

Screenshot_20180528-075653.thumb.png.6048e5a6dfc111bca17dffeb9f6c7408.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/05/2018 at 20:00, CovisGod said:

Quite excited about starting this now, thanks for the tips, goimg to play Survival mode and see how I get on :)

I hope you’re liking it. Minecraft has managed to sneak into my all time top 10 list, it’s really magical when playing with friends.

Switch version runs well I think. Word of warning though, or just a heads up really; if you import one of your old worlds from the original version it won't have improved draw distance. It's set to 4 chunks and you don't appear to be able to change it. 

When you create a new world the default setting is 6 chunks but you can increase it to 8, so twice that of the original Switch version.

Worlds are infinite in size now too, even old ones you import.

Gonna start a new world. It looks pretty impressive set to 8 chunks and it's still 60 fps from what I can tell.

Edit. Scrap that you can increase old worlds to 8 too - after you select 'Play' from the title screen you can then select the edit (pencil) icon next to the world. You just can't change it mid game :)

Quick question – is this new version being applied to the PS3 version? My kids still play it all the time, and I'd be loathe to buy a new version (only other console we have is Switch), as they'll lose all the lovely worlds they've created.

1 minute ago, Twinbee said:

Quick question – is this new version being applied to the PS3 version? My kids still play it all the time, and I'd be loathe to buy a new version (only other console we have is Switch), as they'll lose all the lovely worlds they've created.

nope sony have not allowed this new edition on PS4 and it wasn't going to be on PS3 or 360 anyway.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Switch version runs well I think. Word of warning though, or just a heads up really; if you import one of your old worlds from the original version it won't have improved draw distance. It's set to 4 chunks and you don't appear to be able to change it. 

When you create a new world the default setting is 6 chunks but you can increase it to 8, so twice that of the original Switch version.

Gonna start a new world. It looks pretty impressive set to 8 chunks and it's still 60 fps from what I can tell.

Edit. Scrap that you can increase old worlds to 8 too - after you select 'Play' from the title screen you can then select the edit (pencil) icon next to the world. You just can't change it mid game :)

Double the draw distance and proper infinite worlds is exactly what I needed to get back into this on Switch. Impressive that they finally managed this.

This was apparent long time ago, it only came to light now that the new versions are released for Switch

From September last year:

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-faq

Q: Will the new version be available on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch?

A: While we are thrilled to be able to confirm the new version of Minecraft is coming to Nintendo Switch, we are still in discussions with Sony about PlayStation and have nothing to confirm. We would love to work with Sony to bring players on PlayStation 4 into this ecosystem as well.

And thats pretty much where it still stands. Mojang has stated several times that they would love to release this, and supa dupa graphics when that is ready, on the playstation.

6 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Double the draw distance and proper infinite worlds is exactly what I needed to get back into this on Switch. Impressive that they finally managed this.

I ported my save over...does this mean my map is useless?! As it only shows my ‘old’ saves, limited map size. Now that it’s infinite, isn’t it kinda pointless? Or will it still show me the location of my first little house? 

I’m walking around with the map open, but my location arrow is off the edge of it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 11:00, Stanley said:

Can you use the Switch version of the game to play on someone's Minecraft server based on the PC/Mac/Linux version of Minecraft?