Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Is the Mac version part of this new fangled thing so my daughters saves would work on Switch?

Not really a new thing, I've played the Mac version since Minecraft was alpha back in 2010. 

edit: whoops, sorry! 

Edited by Protocol Penguin

Just now, Protocol Penguin said:

Not really a new thing, I've played the Mac version since Minecraft was alpha back in 2010. 

Ahh not what I meant, daughter has played Mac for many years but is it now better together so saves can work on Switch if I get it for her!?

I dont think theyre updating the Java edition with the new stuff anymore, unfortunately

Better Together FAQ here

Q: When will the Bedrock Engine be coming to Mac/older Windows versions/Linux?

A: We’re always looking for new platforms where there is significant enough demand to bring Minecraft. If there are platforms you are interested in where we aren’t already, please let us know at feedback.minecraft.net.

18 hours ago, ronin said:

I dont think theyre updating the Java edition with the new stuff anymore, unfortunately

Better Together FAQ here

Just to note Java edition will not be going to bedrock but it will still be updated with the new stuff. So the aquatic update is in the works but sadly not yet ready.

Java version is far from dead.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2018 at 12:53, Clipper said:

Just to note Java edition will not be going to bedrock but it will still be updated with the new stuff. So the aquatic update is in the works but sadly not yet ready.

Java version is far from dead.

You're right, and the Java edition has indeed been updated with the Aquatic stuff.

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/update-aquatic-out-java

• 3 weeks later...

If I buy dlc, like themes, through my Xbox account, can those be shared with my kids? I have their Live a accounts as part of my Microsoft family setup. I figure they'd work fine on my main Xbox, but wondered if this would also work on their Kindle tablets.

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Flams said:

I've not played this in ages but my daughter is keen to try, is it possible to play without monsters etc? She's good at relaxed stuff, but not so great at action and excitement. 

There's a creative mode where you get unlimited building supplies and no monsters. 

My kids have played creative for a year now and still aren't bored! They're building bigger and better things!

We have now started a survival map and they now understand crafting much better and get a real kick out of it. 

Ooh that's even better.

Obviously play whatever's gonna make you happiest, that's kinda the point but I just felt it's a little too shallow if you don't have to go hunt out resources, especially those required to craft.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It always bothered me that I didn’t understand how they were supposed to actually make Super Duper possible on on anything but PC. I’ve played with path tracing on PC before and it decreased the fps from 500+ fps in vanilla mode to 20-40 fps with path tracing. And that was on a fresh map with no buildings and red stone mechanics going on. The consoles can barely maintain 60 fps on a severely cut version of the vanilla game so how they were planning to do it is beyond me. Streaming the game is the only way I can think of, but Minecraft doesn’t really work with the slightest of lag.

And nothing of value was lost, IMHO. I wonder if they decided it didn't make sense from an aesthethic viewpoint. Minecraft charm is in it's low-tech visuals, simply ramping it up with loads of bells and whistles can only detract from that. A block based game with volumetric clouds and super realistic water is a bit of an absurdity. The PCs mods look more clever than beautiful, I think.

I was really looking forward to the graphical update, how disappointing. My PC certainly can't do any of this newfangled ray-tracing stuff, but the "super duper" update wasn't going to be ray-tracing, it was just current-gen shaders and lighting and stuff. That would still need a decent graphics card, but I assumed that was the intention. I assumed that they were making the super duper graphics as an option for those who could run it... not cancel it just because they couldn't get it running for everyone on cheap tablets and phones.