Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

17 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

wonder if we’ll see it in Minecraft 2 as an exclusive for the next Xbox.

This doesn't really make sense with Microsoft's services approach to pretty much everything. I'm just really surprised this wasn't an optional extra for systems capable of rendering it, not unlike a texture pack. 

For some reason (insert conspiracy theory about Twitch streamer MS moneyhats here), Minecraft appears to be having a resurgence at the moment. Many popular streamers and YouTubers are starting new series, and there's a big focus on multiplayer server content.

Having two kids they're now wanting to play this a lot more, so I'm getting dragged in myself to play along with them.

Anyone else?

4 hours ago, tyagi said:

For some reason (insert conspiracy theory about Twitch streamer MS moneyhats here), Minecraft appears to be having a resurgence at the moment. Many popular streamers and YouTubers are starting new series, and there's a big focus on multiplayer server content.

Having two kids they're now wanting to play this a lot more, so I'm getting dragged in myself to play along with them.

Anyone else?

Yahe, this has been going on for a few weeks now. My kids and I started a new server a couple of weeks ago and we’ve been playing daily. It’s actually great to be back playing minecraft and I really would’ve loved a new Rllmuk server, maybe with a Discord to go with it.

After some advice for a friend of mine who young son is having problems with his minecraft game. He sent me the below, ignore "DVD" its the PS4 version he is playing...

"had a Minecraft DVD and on further investigation it seems to be a "region all" game. It got broken and so we bought a new one from Argos which turns out to be a "region 2" game. When we load up the disk and install the game it loads and installs as a complete new game, it doesn’t link to the old game that is there. When he tries to open his saves none exist with the new game and they all still sit with the old game. I can still see all the old saves but cant get them linked to the new region 2 disk."

Any thoughts on the above? I've never played Minecraft on the PS4 so not sure at all, I'm assuming it something to do with the region stuff.

Any thoughts appreciated.

To be honest, that makes absolutely no sense. PS4 games are region free, and it's in fact the only console that didn't have the schism of the two different versions. Are you sure they don't actually have an XBox? Because what they describe makes sense if they went from the old version to the Better Together version, but as I say that hasn't happened on PS4.

Or.. do they have a PS3? That whole slightly different game versions not seeing each others saves happened quite a lot last gen. Not heard of it on PS4, but I guess it might be a thing.

EDIT: Is it possible they bought the Telltale Minecraft game? Though that's even more tenuous!

The fact the new one is installing a whole new session of Minecraft seems strange as well, its already on the PS4.

He sent me these pic of the backs showing the different regions...

One has the ESRB rating so is likely and american copy the other has "eu.playstation.com" on it so a uk copy. He might be as well just hunting down another american copy i think.

region2.jpg

regionall.jpg

32 minutes ago, memories said:

The fact the new one is installing a whole new session of Minecraft seems strange as well, its already on the PS4.

He sent me these pic of the backs showing the different regions...

One has the ESRB rating so is likely and american copy the other has "eu.playstation.com" on it so a uk copy. He might be as well just hunting down another american copy i think.

region2.jpg

regionall.jpg

EDIT: I'm an idiot, ignore me.

To the many PC players with a mid-range GTX graphics card that could have handled the Super Duper graphics update: "Sorry, we've cancelled it, because we couldn't get it working on phones and tablets and it wouldn't be fair if everyone couldn't enjoy it."

One week later: "We're releasing an RTX version of Minecraft just for people with new £700 graphics cards! It looks like the Super Duper update except slightly better!"

I know I'm being snarky -- you'll argue that the RTX stuff looks significantly better than "faking" it with traditional shaders and lighting effects. But all the ray/pathtracing stuff I've seen so far looks about 20% better than traditional graphics but with 1000x the processing cost. The Super Duper update with traditional shaders and lighting would have been lovely enough for me.

I've gotten used to the Windows 10 edition -- it runs so much faster and it's user-friendly. The java version always needed Optifine (or whatever it was called) to make it not run like crap, and every time Minecraft updated it took 2 months for the guy who makes Optifine to make a compatible new version, and you had to keep checking forum threads, etc. I'm done with that. When the Windows 10 edition came out and it just ran really fast and you can turn the chunks slider up twice as high too, I knew I'd never go back to java.

Is a Minecraft save stuck on the machine you created it on? I was thinking of grabbing it for the kids on the Switch, for when the TV is in use, but our save is on the Xbox. Or do you need to rent a realm for that? 

If you do have to have a realm, I think the cheapest is two players. Is that two Xbox accounts, or does guest mode count as a player? And I'm guessing it's two concurrent users, but you could invite more? 

On 20/08/2019 at 16:08, Purin said:

Install your own shaders if you're on PC.

For someone new to this, can you recommend a good shader, where to find it and how to install it?

I spent a bit of time looking on google and the results were (I assume) for the old Java version... as the folder it told me to put the files in didn’t exist on my PC?!

I’d love Minecraft to look a bit more impressive for VR use.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a switch/Xbox realm that they wouldn't mind someone else joining? My gf has recently become a little addicted, and obviously Minecraft is best played with others. 

She's nice and calm, puts a lot of effort into builds and it'd be great if she could experience the true Minecraft experience. 

Pm me for details of you wanna help :)

On 24/08/2019 at 23:24, TehStu said:

Is a Minecraft save stuck on the machine you created it on? I was thinking of grabbing it for the kids on the Switch, for when the TV is in use, but our save is on the Xbox. Or do you need to rent a realm for that? 

If you do have to have a realm, I think the cheapest is two players. Is that two Xbox accounts, or does guest mode count as a player? And I'm guessing it's two concurrent users, but you could invite more? 

2 concurrent users so you can invite as many as you like but only 2 can play at once.

I am not sure what happens if 1 logs in from an xbox with a guest on split screen though.

As for the original question realm is only way I can make it work - If you ewanted to permanently move the save you could purchase realm temporarily to move saves from one platform to another but that is about it (upload save to realm from platform 1 and then download it again on platform2)

Now got my own realm dilemma. My son wants to play minecraft with a friend from school online.

Friend is on Switch - Son is on Xbox One

I have a lapsed realm under my account. If I renew it can I set the realm to be accessed by both of them even if my son's friend is not on my friends list?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there are any known issues with this since the update? My son has the Switch version and is complaining about it - takes a long time to load, crashing back to the home menu, lag and other weird things (on it the other day and couldn't interact with anything...)

Seems to have gone doolally since the last update and hasn't settled down.

He now wants the Mac version instead/ as well - are there known issues with that as I'd be running on a 5+ year old iMac....running Yosemite...

Thanks!

Dang, downloaded it...crashes...Minecraft website is terrible - click on support, click on Java support which sends you back to the Mojang website which tells you to go back to the Minecraft website.

Ended up in some volunteer run Minecraft chat room just trying to figure out if my 10 year old iMac is up to the job and got kicked out for "spamming" for putting up 3 messages a row.

No wonder I've always stuck with console gaming....even this seems like a pain in the arse.

• 4 weeks later...