IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

2 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how to get cross-play working for my 11-year-old, who had Bedrock edition on PS4?

I've not read any Kafka, but the two hours I spent on Saturday could probably be described as a Kafkaesque vicious circle of defeat.

So far I have:

Created my daughter a PSN account

Created her a Microsoft account

Gave her all the relevant permissions on my PSN family management thing so she can play online

Connected her PSN account to the Minecraft account

Got her to connect to a friend via Outlook, so they can see each other within Minecraft

Somehow ended up creating XBOX Live gamertags for both her and me

Changing all the Microsoft settings as her guardian, so she can play online.

She got invited to a 'Realm' from a friend, but when she tries to join, it says that she cannot play due to how her account has been set up. I'm caught between a bazillion different help articles, and I have no idea.

So I end up just telling her to play Fortnite instead, but it's absurd really.

Anyone else experienced this nonsense? Is it just easier to change her date of birth so that she looks over 13? Because you really shouldn't have to do that for bloody Minecraft.

Have you done all the Privacy & online safety -> Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety settings for their GamerTag in MS account settings?

From what I remember it took a while for that to actually take effect.

All my son’s worlds have suddenly become inaccessible, with the message “there was a problem loading this world”.

My worlds load fine when I am signed in.

Anyone else had this or know what can be done? He’s going to be devastated if he can’t get them back. This is on Series X. Reinstalling and cache clearing hasn’t solved it. 

5 hours ago, Pob said:

All my son’s worlds have suddenly become inaccessible, with the message “there was a problem loading this world”.

My worlds load fine when I am signed in.

Anyone else had this or know what can be done? He’s going to be devastated if he can’t get them back. This is on Series X. Reinstalling and cache clearing hasn’t solved it. 

Hi my Xbox did this too. I deleted the game and reinstalled and they all came back randomly a few weeks later ..

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Do you have to go to the official Minecraft site to buy the pc version? I was looking for it on the windows store and could only see a lot of Dungeons stuff. 

The Java version is sold from the official site. The native Windows 10 version is sold from the Microsoft Store.

Don’t know if it’s still a thing, but I was given a code for the Windows 10 version when I bought the Java version.

• 4 weeks later...

Part 1 of Caves and Cliffs is out. How do these biomes updates work? I've got a survival realm with the kids, although we've not progressed much beyond our little village by the water. Basically, the area of map immediately around the world spawn. If we go wondering, will we see cliffs, the new blocks, etc? Or do we need to start over by deleting the realm game and generating a new one?

think as biomes are generated when needed, you'd be good to stick with what you've got, but clarification would be nice.

But more importantly, don't go throwing away your realm just yet, because the new biomes come in the next update, not this one. 

Minecraft worlds are split up into 16x16 chunks, which are generated the first time you enter them. Your immediate surroundings won’t change with this update, but wander further away and you should start finding some of the new blocks.

My wife spent last night digging for copper in her favourite world, so it’s definitely out there.

That's awesome. I figured some of it was dynamic, otherwise we'd be restarting constantly. My lad was worried about Seed number or something, but perhaps that just affects your immediate surroundings upon spawn.

19 minutes ago, TehStu said:

That's awesome. I figured some of it was dynamic, otherwise we'd be restarting constantly. My lad was worried about Seed number or something, but perhaps that just affects your immediate surroundings upon spawn.

The seed is a number generated on starting a world that is used in all generation activities. So when you start the world for the first time it uses that to generate the first few local chunks (the 16x16 areas). When a new chunk is needed because you travel to it the same seed number is used to generate that too.

So the seed is important but each new chunk generated uses the latest version of the generation algorithm with the existing seed number to produce the new areas and can hence include the new stuff.

• 11 months later...

I have lost access to my old Minecraft account, long story but I probably forgot to do something somewhere along the line. Microsoft support has been woeful and I can only assume I'm being pushed towards just buying it again (I paid 9.95 euros back in 2010). 

So much has changed since I played it last, it looks incredible what they've added although I'm more into single player. Glad to see you get both versions as I much preferred the Java one you could mod. Sod it, MS win, I'll just buy it again. 

Hi having an issue with Minecraft Java edition and the Launcher. My son has had the Windows edition for ages (we bought it for him on his account on the Xbox which also gave him access to the PC version). He's now trying to get the Java Edition but for some reason it wouldn't let him even download it as it kept sending him off to the web page and when he was logged in it just kept giving him the option to buy the Bedrock and Java edition).

I am logged into the store on his PC so that he can use my Gamepass account with his own profile. So we discovered that from the Xbox app we were able to actually install Java edition. However when we go to start it we get the Failed to create a profile error when he is asked to enter a username.

Now I don't know if this is linked to the fact he is piggy backing on my GP account, or whether it's another issue. Just wondered if anyone else had come across this? I've done some web searches but haven't found anything that really gets into the problem. What doesn't make any sense is that he can play what I assume is Bedrock edition on his PC without having my account logged into the store as that is purchased against his account so I don't understand why he can't just get Java edition on his account either.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Hi having an issue with Minecraft Java edition and the Launcher. My son has had the Windows edition for ages (we bought it for him on his account on the Xbox which also gave him access to the PC version). He's now trying to get the Java Edition but for some reason it wouldn't let him even download it as it kept sending him off to the web page and when he was logged in it just kept giving him the option to buy the Bedrock and Java edition).

I am logged into the store on his PC so that he can use my Gamepass account with his own profile. So we discovered that from the Xbox app we were able to actually install Java edition. However when we go to start it we get the Failed to create a profile error when he is asked to enter a username.

Now I don't know if this is linked to the fact he is piggy backing on my GP account, or whether it's another issue. Just wondered if anyone else had come across this? I've done some web searches but haven't found anything that really gets into the problem. What doesn't make any sense is that he can play what I assume is Bedrock edition on his PC without having my account logged into the store as that is purchased against his account so I don't understand why he can't just get Java edition on his account either.

TehStu's link says it could take up to 3 days for people to be given the rights to the Java version.

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Since they updated the Minecraft launcher on Gamepass there has been some weird issue that means that you can't play Java edition on a different gamertag to the one logged into the Microsoft Store - every other game works fine but Java refuses to play ball - Bedrock (and  Dungeons) work fine.  Prior to the update (which was January I think) everything worked fine

My eldest also owns Bedrock on his own account but has had to use my gamertag to play Java on his laptop (which usually has my account logged into the store and his into the Gamepass app) - not tried to see if he can now access Java on his own account (might need to log it into the store I guess).

Same, it only worked for me when I was logged into the actual account that had gamepass.

Anyway, minor hitches aside nice to see MS embracing the legacy version rather than make you buy it in some metahphorical dodgy back-alley transaction.

• 1 month later...

My son is just getting into Minecraft (playing on Xbox) and I’m playing catch-up a bit on how it all works. I saw this earlier 

and wanted to join the server. Is it right I can’t join a server on Xbox?  Seems strange that Xbox are promoting it if so. 

I was going to ask the same question. My son found a book on castles in the street the other day, and he's been to Corfe Castle, so I thought this would be perfect for him, but I couldn't figure out how to actually access the Corfe map on Xbox.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!  I’ve never played Minecraft in my life, and my 4 year old, via his cousins, has begged for it. 

we have a wii u and I’ve got a copy for him on that, but I have no idea how to play it. 

no doubt there are countless tutorials online, but can anyone give me a brief rundown  and how to co operatively play it with my son?

I think the Wii U version supports split screen.  It should also come with some Mario content.

Create new World, set it to creative and just start mucking about building houses and digging holes.  In creative you have access to everything so just move items to the hotbar, cycle between them and build.  You can fly etc when double tap jump.

Survival worlds you start with nothing and have to survive the night, will be fun once you both get to grips in a year :)

Go into the marketplace, maps and sort by free, loads of pre built worlds you can explore.  Same with skins.

Start on survival. Go up to the nearest tree and punch it until it breaks. Pick up the wood it drops. Repeat this a few times. Go into your inventory and build a work bench using the wood you just collected. Place the work bench down in the world and then ‘use’ it too see what else you can build and what materials you need to build those items. That’s it, you’re off. 

1 hour ago, fattakin said:

I think the Wii U version supports split screen.  It should also come with some Mario content.

Create new World, set it to creative and just start mucking about building houses and digging holes.  In creative you have access to everything so just move items to the hotbar, cycle between them and build.  You can fly etc when double tap jump.

Survival worlds you start with nothing and have to survive the night, will be fun once you both get to grips in a year :)

Go into the marketplace, maps and sort by free, loads of pre built worlds you can explore.  Same with skins.

we have successfully built our first house!  

B9A1F14C-0803-45DB-AA5A-9164C931ED4F.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Hamus said:

This is why Minecraft is so lovely, people can share, help and you can play together :)

we’ve also discovered the hallowe’en level with the crazy rollercoaster!

821BE0D5-0B85-457E-9C1B-2037E1CBFC17.jpeg

1 hour ago, Droo said:

we’ve also discovered the hallowe’en level with the crazy rollercoaster!

821BE0D5-0B85-457E-9C1B-2037E1CBFC17.jpeg

It's an amazing game for kids. I have fond memories of playing it with my son when he was still too young to properly understand it. 5 years later and he still loves it but thankfully he just plays online with his mates. 

• 3 weeks later...