IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

I found that the LOLEditor finally gave me co-ords I could understand properly (using the map with it). Allowed me to put in the correct variables to spawn near the cathedral; that's how I "Blew it up".

Could be that its pseudorandom number generator for choosing a spawn point is only based on the parameters of the map and something that doesn't change much, like which world it is. That way everyone who put the map in as world 2 would get the same spawn.

The Enterprise is coming along:

http://shipyards.freeforums.org/minetrek-v9-server-dat-t83.html

Ah you're building this thing then?

9e23858e-ea6e-4ca0-b270-1ccaad67ec57.jpg

Played some single player because I felt I ought to. It was a bit dull to be honest, I built a bit of a cave into a cliff face and then started digging down in the hope that I'd hit something interesting, but I didn't. I could go and build a better facade to it, but I don't really feel the need to. I don't have enough materials to build anything interesting, and I've had enough of digging/ walking in random directions on my own tbh. I reckon I'll give survival another go in multi because there's other people there, but single isn't that interesting.

Indeed. Also, it looks like it's major-redesign o'clock in the train department, the trains won't run right next to each other. Once the server's back up I'll start digging out the tunnels to be 3 wide and redesign the stations. Once I've done one station/ tunnel, any help in copying it with the others would be grand :) I've got a feel for where boosters need to go as well so I'll start putting them in.

Played some single player because I felt I ought to. It was a bit dull to be honest, I built a bit of a cave into a cliff face and then started digging down in the hope that I'd hit something interesting, but I didn't. I could go and build a better facade to it, but I don't really feel the need to. I don't have enough materials to build anything interesting, and I've had enough of digging/ walking in random directions on my own tbh. I reckon I'll give survival another go in multi because there's other people there, but single isn't that interesting.

Agreed, I enjoy the messing about with others and other people seeing your creations more. I had exactly the same experience as you, made a functional house, even with glass windows, but once I was safe didn't feel the need to explore/dig like crazy.

Will be fun doing exploring in a team though!

Aw, disappointed that I can't log in to the server at the moment. I was looking forward to spending another evening exploring and building random stuff! Last night I set about following the New Comradia road and got so distracted by exploring and building that I didn't even make it to the end!

Indeed. Also, it looks like it's major-redesign o'clock in the train department, the trains won't run right next to each other. Once the server's back up I'll start digging out the tunnels to be 3 wide and redesign the stations. Once I've done one station/ tunnel, any help in copying it with the others would be grand :) I've got a feel for where boosters need to go as well so I'll start putting them in.

Where are the other stations? I've only found Grand Central so far, and the two tracks leading off it. I followed one to Memorial Isle, but can't remember where the other one went. They're great though - passing alongside the cathedral catacombs is a great idea!

I've built a train station-style affair just to the south of the Workbench icon on the map. It's big enough to have several platforms - I was thinking it could be some kind of intermediate interchange station on the way to the stadium, since it's a long way off. It's big enough to allow several tracks to run through.

You do realise that 1) It's not clear that Notch has any intention of adding minecarts to SMP in the near future (he certainly hasn't said he would for the Halloween update), 2) It's quite likely that he's going to change the physics on how they work, and 3) There is a slight possibility that for some reason he will never be able to implement minecarts into SMP at all.

Having heard it name dropped on podcasts left, right and centre in recent months, I decided to take a closer look at this today. I'd assumed it was still just a quirky construction tool for creative types with no other purpose beyond that but reading that its evolved into an actual game now, I'm not sure I can continue to ignore Minecraft for much longer.

The survival mode sounds incredibly good fun. Worth a punt?

If he does get round to fixing minecarts, aren't boosters a bug which is likely to get fixed in the process?

I was under the impression* that the boost system was accidental originally - but left in as a game mechanic when people enjoyed playing with the system.

I hope this is the case!

I have been beavering away on a fooking awesome thing for Halloween.. I am adding the finishing touches now but its heavily minecart dependant and screenshots seriously do not do it justice. If they do get fixed in SMP ( I imagine they will - dunno when though) - is there anywhere where I can upload the schematic to put on the server? Its not that large - about 300x300x300 blocks or so- but incredibly complex.

And needs to be seen to be believed.

I have a skeletal minecart summon station saved too - with absolutely no frills ... an on ramp, off ramp, holding station above with motion booster, floorpad to summon with second motion booster, empty cart auto return in case you miss it.

Its as small as I can make it, approx 20 blocks high by 30 deep, 50 wide with onramp about middle of the bottom level. I have mirrored it too for both directions.

No use at all of course until minecarts are actually usable in multiplayer :)

*probably wrong ;)

How does the booster stuff work?

The only minecart shenanigans I've managed in single-player involves a 'power car' (a minecart combined with a furnace) pushing my passenger minecart around, which is functional but not particularly thrilling.

Where are the other stations? I've only found Grand Central so far, and the two tracks leading off it. I followed one to Memorial Isle, but can't remember where the other one went. They're great though - passing alongside the cathedral catacombs is a great idea!

There are currently 3 lines in preparation, one more in planning: Platform 1 for /home, 2 for Orthanc, 3 for the Memorial Isle, and 4 will be for the Stadium.

You do realise that 1) It's not clear that Notch has any intention of adding minecarts to SMP in the near future (he certainly hasn't said he would for the Halloween update), 2) It's quite likely that he's going to change the physics on how they work, and 3) There is a slight possibility that for some reason he will never be able to implement minecarts into SMP at all.

Shush you, the train line infrastructure is basically my raison d'être in Minecraft at the moment <_<

Changing the physics of how they work won't make a wider tunnel a bad thing, I'm sure.

If he does get round to fixing minecarts, aren't boosters a bug which is likely to get fixed in the process?

Boosters basically work by making one minecart go alongside the other, making them both glitch out and move forward really quickly. If one strikes something or is diverted, they both maintain their speed. Importantly, the wiki says that while they have a max speed, they don't seem to have a maximum energy, so for momentum purposes it would be going faster than it actually is.

Initially I would have thought so, but now that every minecart system utilises them I doubt they'd be written out.

Mordor! :omg:

My "grand plan" for single player was Mordor before I realised how much obsidian I'd need so I scrapped it, I have done rather alot of planning for it though and Have some Awesome (I reserve the right to ignore you when you tell me they suck) ideas for some of the bits of Mordor though if you want to know them! Whatever though I'd be more than happy to help you build it.

Oh man, just accidentally broke glass on the boards at the angel, tried to add my name and broke one corner on the left. I think it had two names so if you recognise it then i'm very sorry! Imagine the :o when that broke.

:facepalm:

Added back the signs, it's these two blank ones:

5100751884_e617ca405b_o.png

How does the booster stuff work?

The only minecart shenanigans I've managed in single-player involves a 'power car' (a minecart combined with a furnace) pushing my passenger minecart around, which is functional but not particularly thrilling.

The boosters work, as Tunisia says, via friction - one cart brushing alongside another increases both their speeds, rather than slowing it, so the simplest booster is an occasional short, additional section of track alongside the main line with a cart on it at a dead end with a small ramp to run up/ return to the dead end for the next cart that comes along.

Sounds simple and on its most basic level it is, saves a fortune in coal too!

But with redwire, switches, different pressure pads and complex boosters (perpetual motion machines) it becomes a lot more challenging.

New problems arise - for example the perpetual motion isnt as easy as it sounds- constantly speeding up carts is a problem as they get to a "terminal velocity" and crash or switch tracks. That means you need a pause/ switchback to prevent it happening..

See my older posts in this thread for screenshots and info on the stuff I discovered. Its incredibly rewarding when you figure out how to overcome a seemingly impossible problem.. I have yet to be completely stumped, there always seems to be a workaround.

Had a very quick SP blast last night, where my main fortress is a ways away from the first wee house I built. I couldn't really remember where that place was now; it seemed a fair distance away. It wad near my spawn point though so was useful.

This was not in mind as I set out to explore though, climbing a nearbyish mountain just to conquer it. The views were incredible, and I was also on the look out for coal...

Cresting another peak I spied a structure...my first wee base! Wonderful! I ran inside and suddenly realised it was on the other side of the mountain to my main base.

I decided I wanted to burrow through the earth, under the mountain, to end up near my main base. Handy for respawns. I checked the direction and...why I'd already burrowed that way on my initial exploration! Time saving...

I set off sown the lengthy torch lined tunnel (the sort where you can't see the end), reaching one of my "save points" (chests, work bench, doors either side for safety"). I find a stash of coal which was needed, as ever! Great stuff.

I decide that just on from this point I'll attempt to dig "up" to see if I can find my second base. I carve out a wee upward staircase, and not five or six blocks up I crack through into daylight. I've cleared the mountain, fantastic! I spade through some more dirt and then, before me...a structure! Yes, it is! My main base! Bloody mint!

Big pats on the back for myself from myself!

The game rewards such humble goals and such tiny victories which in most structures games would feel like another one on the checklist. All I did was climb a bit, follow my old tunnel back, guess where to dig up, and I got a massive sense of achievement from it. So much so that it was worth a post.

Brilliant stuff this minecraft lark :D

So, I loaded up the main world as a singleplayer map. On the first couple of spawns it had thrown the "snow" flag for some reason, but on the third attempt I got it as normal. It's all fine until night falls. Much of the land is well-lit enough to be safe, but when I decided to visit the Hotel for shelter, I found a dark building site full of creepers and spiders.