IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

Yeah, just cloned a piece of track on an old gamesave I had, then replaced each block type.

Wait till you see what I am working on.. nearly finished it now, but uses carts so no good till the MP is fixed.

Heres one I did make manually a while ago :

post-5095-067313100 1287698984_thumb.jpg

That looks ace :D

It took me what seemed to be an age but it all worked. And I lost the gamesave (!)

I had worked it all out by completion though and that is what takes the real time. I made it by trial and error and there were a lot of moments along the lines of " .. it seems you cant put a switch too close to a second track a level below without it being also switched.. ok .. I need to make another floor below to give me room to separate them.. which means I need to move this track and shorten the stairs..".

Once you get your head around it though its massively satisfying achieving what seems to be impossible when you begin.

Imagination (and inspiration) open up this game like nothing else.

I am working on something unbelievably complex and like the fucking Tardis itself when it comes to saving space and appearing HUGE on the inside. I am just putting the finishing touches to the end, and decided to have a finale where you hit a switch and some doors open. And stuff.

Then (as usual) it got out of hand and ended up.. well, Ill be finished by Sunday so we will see then with a bit of luck :) Its hard as nails wiring this lot up - there are tracks and other areas only a wall away .. but every single one works now.

post-5095-044917600 1287758899_thumb.jpg

That all sounds amazing, although I've no idea what you're trying to achieve. I had my first go at mine-carts yesterday - created a normal one and a powered one, but I can't work out how to connect them together nor seemingly how to get the powered one going for more than a foot at a time.

Then I created a bow and took my arrows and ... how do you get a sodding arrow onto the effing bow? All I can do is hack at blocks with an empty bow, which is no use!

I'm such a hopeless n00b ...!

That all sounds amazing, although I've no idea what you're trying to achieve. I had my first go at mine-carts yesterday - created a normal one and a powered one, but I can't work out how to connect them together nor seemingly how to get the powered one going for more than a foot at a time.

Then I created a bow and took my arrows and ... how do you get a sodding arrow onto the effing bow? All I can do is hack at blocks with an empty bow, which is no use!

I'm such a hopeless n00b ...!

Nah its just learning how the game works, everyone started somewhere.

The powered minecarts push the regular ones along, I dont use them though as you can "cheat" and use friction between two carts to speed them both up which means free movement. Also you can build a perpetual motion booster, simply run a track alongside with a gap in the track (to brake) and the passing minecart then boosts the other along.

post-5095-051844900 1287762359_thumb.jpg

*Nb use the light grey half block x 2 (step) to put your track on.

Omg!

he Halloween Update will also add six new block types – there’s a gold-coloured one we’re nicknaming Australium in these shots – and all but one of them will have some new function. The surface world will also get a lot more interesting: the game will now generate snowy stretches, desert areas, forests and other climate regions all in the same world. It should make exploration even more exciting than in the uniform worlds we have right now.

:omg:

Looks great.

I hope we get new mobs for "normal world". I can't help feeling this hell world stuff is a little bit gimmicky, but I need to play it first of course!

I'd much rather they just stabilise it to the point where multi and single are on the same level. I'm not even bothered about making that any more stable, it just seems a bit silly to add in a load more stuff when what you've already done isn't working on half the game. Surely it would be a lot easier to get a simple game stable and then build on it rather than have your coding efforts flying off in loads of different directions, making the process of stabilising ever larger and less likely to happen.

Makes me wonder if he's ever going to bother trying to make it an actual game.

That's another thing, he's made millions from sales already (minus server costs etc.) but AFAIK Notch is still doing it all himself? It would progress so much better, and be better for the people who have paid for a product, if this wasn't the case.