Smaller "Slim" 360 - Now official

Pistol

Another leak from China about a new hardware revision has surfaced. This time it's the Xbox 360 that has had the shrink-ray turned on it - and hopefully a large amount of actual engineering design, rather than X-shaped sticking plasters to eradicate the pesky RRoD!

Both GPU and CPU on a single die sounds gooood. Making things smaller is always a bonus, though hopefully they can do something about the size of the PSU as well!!

If this one is true, it's obviously a pre-production version; there are all sorts of headers on there (could indicate a fake, or they could be for debugging a pre-production board). A coolermaster fan is not going to be in a commercially released console but I see no reason why they wouldn't use one for testing.

I'd drop my panies for one of these if it includes wifi and fixes the horrific failure rate. I hopw it's available without Spaz-camera though, if it's just a bundle for Natal that will be irritating.

I don't think it would make sense for them to sell it without Natal, though - if Natal's going to succeed, they need massive take-up. A new hardware revision is going to be too much for many, many double-dippers to resist, so they'll then have piggybacked Natal into a lot of users' homes.

I'm not saying they wouldn't ever release a new model without Natal in the long term - but in the short term it'd be too useful a trojan horse.

If this one is true, it's obviously a pre-production version; there are all sorts of headers on there (could indicate a fake, or they could be for debugging a pre-production board). A coolermaster fan is not going to be in a commercially released console but I see no reason why they wouldn't use one for testing.

As for the coolermaster fan this could be a case of getting a good contract going with a cooling compnay. It's very likely that the next round of consoles will need some serious cooling and getting into bed with coolermaster would be a good move.

Ran this by a friend of mine who works in one of the Xbox manufacturers factories. Unfortunately she knew nothing about this, so bit of a non information there.

Great Job! Keep us updated on other things you or your friends don't know anything about!

As for the coolermaster fan this could be a case of getting a good contract going with a cooling compnay. It's very likely that the next round of consoles will need some serious cooling and getting into bed with coolermaster would be a good move.

Every component will be specced to be as cheap as possible; doubt they'll go for a branded fan when a cheapy no-name would likely do the trick, just noisier.

I mean, if they really cared about putting quality components in to make the user experience better, they'd have specced silent fans and a much quieter DVD drive in the original model.

Every component will be specced to be as cheap as possible; doubt they'll go for a branded fan when a cheapy no-name would likely do the trick, just noisier.

You might be right there, Tom's hardware had a report back in 2008 talking about this new chipset which mentioned that very thing :(

A more dramatic and perhaps visible change will happen next year: TSMC plans to begin producing the Valhalla chip, which will be the foundation of the mid-cycle refresh of the Xbox 360, thus called ’Xbox 2.5’ or simply ’Xbox 540’ (360+180), in fall of 2009. We learned that this new chip is apparently much more than a die-shrink and end up as a system-on-a-chip design. This change is likely to enable to redesign the Xbox 360 casing and go towards a slim-design, much like what Sony did with the Gen1 and Gen2 PS2. We believe that TSMC will use a 45 nm process for this Multi-Chip-Module package (CPU+GPU+eDRAM).

There are also some interesting pieces of information that Microsoft is shopping for a more efficient cooling solution - efficient in more ways than just one: Several people close to the cooling industry told us that Microsoft approached them and asked for better and cheaper cooling than what is used in the Xbox 360 right now. Some may claim that the current Xbox 360 cooler design is already as cheap as it gets, but we have no doubts that Microsoft will find a way to drop the cost once again.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft...-game,5335.html

Looks like a standard 240mmx240mm microATX board to me, albeit without a standard power connector. There's no way the fan would be next to one of the flat sides on the finished model either. Probably a debug board like people are suggesting.

Surely the current shape of the HDD limits what they can do? Unless they plan on discarding compatibility with the HDDs that are out there already? Having said that, I see nowhere for an external HDD to connect anyway.

This was exactly the point I came here to make dammit. So, yeah, what he said.

Here's a picture of how much Sony managed to shave off the PS3 design in under 3 years for comparison, the eventual equivalent of the PS2 slim/Valhalla should give room for some more size reduction:

JP60vsW40.jpg

I suppose we shall see if this redesign is enough to shrink the physical size of the X360 by much.