Smaller "Slim" 360 - Now official

Pistol

Apparantly it gets hotter. Total non-sale for me, its basically a kinect port and wireless for 220 quid.

Hmm... a quick search turned up online tests that said it ran cooler than the Elite. But in any case, heat coming off a device of this nature isn't necessarily indicative of a problem - as long as the components are staying cool, devices of this type are bound to kick out a lot of heat. My PC does, for example, and it's been a workhorse for 6 years. (reminds me I should get on with replacing it!)

I don't have a 360, the noise is a big issue for me, so I think I'm going to pick one up when I can, even though the wireless and HD size are irrelevant to me - not gonna use them! I'll take a chance that it isn't even less reliable than the current model.

Gets hotter or pumps out more heat?

Excatly. If more heat escapes, that may mean it's being kept away from the components more effectively, which is good news if true.

Besides, Microsoft aren't going to risk another RROD fiasco.

However, I don't have as much faith in this as you do. Of course, they don't want another fiasco, but they have had years to fix the existing model, and haven't managed it (until, possibly, now). I suspect the S is at least a bit more reliable in terms of the RROD issue, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it introduced a new problem.

So with all those vents and all that heat escaping them it's like having a heater in your games room? Great for the winter but I don't much fancy it during the summer months. And if you've got it anywhere near you while your Kinect is making you exercise, well...

What were the designers thinking? Surely a matt finish on a metal case will help keep heat temperatures down as opposed to a plastic encased machine which will make it even hotter?

Initially I was tempted but after reading up on it have decided that getting 'caught up in it all' is just not worth it.

I had the same thoughts, but if I'm going to be nervous and cautious then I'm going to have to put up with the noise from my old one forever. Yes, it bothers me that much.

If it breaks, it breaks. What can you do?

Return it and get a brand spanking new one? At least that's how it works over here and I've traded my launch 360 for a complete new model with HDMI port. Something which the old models didn't have.

Am I the only one buying one of these things next Friday? :)

Gets hotter or pumps out more heat?

Besides, Microsoft aren't going to risk another RROD fiasco.

That's what I was wondering. I almost instantly noticed that it gave off more heat than the old model, especially from the vent on the top of the machine. Is that necessarily a bad thing though? The more heat it gives off, the less it retains.

It's a much better machine in pretty much every way.

Also bear in mind that the new 360 draws less power than the previous ones. To the first approximation, it's an electric heater*, so not only is it giving out less heat, it's generating less heat in the first place.

*Turning each watt of electric power into one watt of heat.

Return it and get a brand spanking new one? At least that's how it works over here and I've traded my launch 360 for a complete new model with HDMI port. Something which the old models didn't have.

Am I the only one buying one of these things next Friday? :)

Yeah I know that you dippy sod, I was more making the point of something's going to break or it isn't. It's not like you can leave it in the fridge and play it from there.

That's what I was wondering. I almost instantly noticed that it gave off more heat than the old model, especially from the vent on the top of the machine. Is that necessarily a bad thing though? The more heat it gives off, the less it retains.

It's a much better machine in pretty much every way.

Well the PS3 certainly pumps out a lot of heat.

This bodes well for Kinect. The number of people on here who are splashing out on a shiny new bit of kit, even though they still have a functioning piece of old kit, makes me wonder how long the Kinect naysayers will be able to hold out when they see the new peripheral gleaming in the window of their local Game.