Smaller "Slim" 360 - Now official

Pistol

I would love a Japanese or Asian Xbox S for some shmup action. But it's going to cost a small fortune by the time it arrives in my sweaty geek hands. Damn. Probably need to think this properly through.

Oh and I have stacks and stacks of vinyl. And I keep buying more! Fuck.

I've just noticed something annoying about the 360. It may have been the case on the old console but I didn't have that hooked up with HDMI. I used VGA.

Basically, the 360 doesn't change to my TV's relevant HDMI channel when i turn it on like the PS3 does. Not only that, if I turn on the 360 and it's not on the correct AV channel, the 360 doesn't actually start up until I change the channel myself. WTF is that all about?!

Try swapping the HDMI ports that the PS3 and 360 are connected to.

I would love a Japanese or Asian Xbox S for some shmup action. But it's going to cost a small fortune by the time it arrives in my sweaty geek hands. Damn. Probably need to think this properly through.

Oh and I have stacks and stacks of vinyl. And I keep buying more! Fuck.

I read somewhere that an Arcade version of the S is expected to come out later this year. That would do for your Japanese shmups AND there has to be a chance of it coming in white. Or even better, according to most of the posts in this thread, matte.

Ok, the woman decided to buy her own, but the console isn't picking up the transfer cable to her 20gb hdd. Help.

Not sure if I've got this right, but am I right in assuming that the transfer process only works one way ie you have to turn on the old console with its hard drive attached and then plug the other end into the new hard drive? Does this mean that, since my old 360 RRODed the other night, I won't be able to transfer my old hard drive data to a new slim model?

I read somewhere that an Arcade version of the S is expected to come out later this year. That would do for your Japanese shmups AND there has to be a chance of it coming in white. Or even better, according to most of the posts in this thread, matte.

Ahh, that's right! Read that as well. But it's a rather silly idea I get regularly. I'm not that big a shmup fanatic. I should probably just make do with what I've got. Ha ha sometimes I hate being a geek.

No, I'm doing it the way I did it with mine, and it's not working. Take old HDD off, plug into cable, plug cable into new 360, it recognises it instantly, start moving. It didn't do that on hers :(

That sounds ominous - hope it works out...

No, I'm doing it the way I did it with mine, and it's not working. Take old HDD off, plug into cable, plug cable into new 360, it recognises it instantly, start moving. It didn't do that on hers :(

Does the hard drive have the latest dash update on it - the old drive. Might make a diffence, dunno though. Otherwise it's USB stick/drive time.

Ummm... anyone else had trouble with registering their new console? When I go to the recommended page on the back of the manual it asks me to sign in and then there doesn't seem an option to register one. When I go through the registration page I find through the site search it tells me there's a network problem. I'm also having trouble doing the drm. It's telling me that I'm signed in on two machines and it won't let me do it. I long for the days when consoles just worked and the words patches and drm were mysteries to me.

For some reason I am a little nervous about getting rid of my old xbox and then finding out I need something from it.

I have copied all the content to a USB drive, do I need to make a note of the serial number of anything like that?

Ummm... anyone else had trouble with registering their new console? When I go to the recommended page on the back of the manual it asks me to sign in and then there doesn't seem an option to register one. When I go through the registration page I find through the site search it tells me there's a network problem. I'm also having trouble doing the drm. It's telling me that I'm signed in on two machines and it won't let me do it. I long for the days when consoles just worked and the words patches and drm were mysteries to me.

You have registered an email address to your gamertag yes? You sign into xbox.com - support - transfer licenses section with that email, while your profiles logged onto your new 360. It then displays all the old machines you've had content tied to, signs you out and into your 360 again, and tranfers all licenses to that machine. Then queues up all the downloads you need.

I found it a pain, but it eventually worked, and even fixed a game that was insisting i'd not bought it.

You have registered an email address to your gamertag yes? You sign into xbox.com - support - transfer licenses section with that email, while your profiles logged onto your new 360. It then displays all the old machines you've had content tied to, signs you out and into your 360 again, and tranfers all licenses to that machine. Then queues up all the downloads you need.

I found it a pain, but it eventually worked, and even fixed a game that was insisting i'd not bought it.

Cheers, Angel - I got through about half that process and then hit the error repeatedly... I'll have another go later on.

Is registering the console the same as transferring the DRM? If so I did it without any problem at all.

Nah, they're two separate processes.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=896&s=1111

Microsoft’s new and improved, slimmer XBox 360 console, the XBox 360 250GB (or XBox 360 S) achieves the biggest launch in the UK for a “revised” home console, surpassing the launches of both PS2 Slim and PS3 Slim and recording over two days around the same as the original Xbox 360's launch sales total back in week 48 2005. (~70K)

This is even more impressive when you take into account that the original Xbox 360 was launched across two versions (Pro and Core).

A great week for Microsoft is ensured with the format holder’s XB360 exclusive title ‘Crackdown 2’ holding on to top spot in the All Formats Chart for a second week.

And that's just for the new ones, the discounted regular editions are apparently shifting well too..