IGNORED

Smaller "Slim" 360 - Now official

Pistol

I'm in two minds about whether or not i'd even be interested in forking out for one if it was real. I can kind of understand the appeal for new owners, but no wi-fi (at the minute) and no other "real" advantages. I don't think there's any point for me.

I would buy one in a heartbeat, and i don't even really know why.

Problem is that we won't know if it fixes the problems I have with the current 360 till this is out and people have one. Reliability is also pretty much impossible to tell and MS aren't going to comment on weather it still sounds like a hoover.

The 16GB text in that screenshot is in bold characters. It might just indicate the limit of the current device that's attached, not some arbitrary limit Microsoft have imposed.

The article gives all the details, the 16GB limit has no relation to any major file system (FAT16 tops out at 2GB and FAT32 would let you go to 8TB).

According to the document, the USB mass storage device must be at least 1GB and the system will do a compatibility check. "The system partition occupies 512 MB of space, and by default the consumer partition occupies the remainder of the device capacity, or 16 GB, whichever is smaller." Upon inserting a blank USB storage device, "consumers are offered two choices: 'Configure now' or 'Customize'." The "Configure now" option will use "the entire device capacity, up to the maximum of 512 MB plus 16 GB" meaning, regardless of the overall size of the device you're using, the Xbox will only enable 16 GB of usable, non-system storage. The "Customize" option will allow you to "preserve some pre-existing, non-console data on the device" such as music.

It should be clear by now that Microsoft is simply pulling out of the Memory Unit business and not the highly lucrative Xbox hard drive business. With an artificial cap of 16 GB – still shy of the 20 GB hard drive that shipped with the original 2005 Xbox Pro and a fraction the size of the currently shipping 120 GB hard drive – USB storage support simply removes the onerous requirement for a Memory Unit on Xbox 360 Arcade units, and brings the Xbox 360 platform a feature that's been present on the PlayStation 3 since that console's 2006 launch.

If you're intent on circumventing Microsoft's cutthroat hard drive pricing the Xbox 360, you can use two USB storage devices for a maximum of 32 GB of usable storage; however, the console "has a fixed limit of two external USB mass storage devices" regardless of whether they're "formatted for the Xbox 360 or not." If you fill all three USB ports on the console, only the first two to be connected will be recognized.

So the Xbox will be formatting the USB stick? I guess that rules out then being able to transfer any information to a computer.

Some bright spark will find a way.

still shy of the 20 GB hard drive that shipped with the original 2005 Xbox Pro

Most 20GB HDDs only had about 13gb usable anyway, so at least this ups that slightly.

So the Xbox will be formatting the USB stick? I guess that rules out then being able to transfer any information to a computer.
The "Customize" option will allow you to "preserve some pre-existing, non-console data on the device" such as music.

I took this to mean that it could effectively have an Xbox partition, and a PC-accessible storage partition.

Problem is that we won't know if it fixes the problems I have with the current 360 till this is out and people have one. Reliability is also pretty much impossible to tell and MS aren't going to comment on weather it still sounds like a hoover.

They fixed that problem with an extra heatsink on the newer ones. I really doubt they'd make the same mistake again considering how much it cost to fix the first time. Plus the noise is mostly the DVD drive, the cooling is very quiet on the newer ones and the DVD drives have been getting quieter too, plus you can always install.

The article gives all the details, the 16GB limit has no relation to any major file system (FAT16 tops out at 2GB and FAT32 would let you go to 8TB).

I have a 16GB USB stick sitting here right in front of me. You need to re-read what I wrote.

overall size reduction probably won't exceed 1" on height (standing) and possibly very little to .5" on depth (standing)

It's hard to gauge thickness from this photo, but I could see it being slightly thinner than an existing 360.

Is it just me or is that a very small size reduction?

I can't see the point if that turns out to be true...

Is it just me or is that a very small size reduction?

I can't see the point if that turns out to be true...

It's less about the size and more about reducing manufacturing costs and giving the 360 a facelift for the natal 'relaunch'. Of course, they would dearly love it to be the same size as the Wii but that isn't going to happen.

I'm with you on it being more about a relaunch than a shrink-down, but I think it has more to do with reliability than Natal. It's taken a real kicking over the past couple of years that quiet motherboard redesigns don't address in the eyes of the general public. Informed gamers looking out for a Jasper's not going to change its image. They need a way of saying "Xbox 360! Now with Reliability!", and putting it in a cosmetically redesigned box will do it.

I think it has a lot to do with Natal. NXE was what they considered a relaunch but Natal is what is the real relaunch. Natal isn't going to be like the N64 expansion pack or Sonys Move controller. It'll be like the 32X. A brand new system with new games to play, the only way to play them of course by owning a Natal. But unlike Sega, instead of making it only sellable to existing owners, MS want to get new owners who would never have bought a 360 before. I guess instead of releasing an Xbox 720, this is there way to release a new system, without the costs involved.

Putting it in a new box doesn't say to anyone "Xbox 360! Now with Reliability!", the brand itself is already tarnished, not the look of the box. However launching it as the Natal Xbox looks like a new console to the uninformed that already has a host of playable games and gets interest in the 360 back out there.

I'm with you on it being more about a relaunch than a shrink-down, but I think it has more to do with reliability than Natal. It's taken a real kicking over the past couple of years that quiet motherboard redesigns don't address in the eyes of the general public. Informed gamers looking out for a Jasper's not going to change its image. They need a way of saying "Xbox 360! Now with Reliability!", and putting it in a cosmetically redesigned box will do it.

How much of this is just some people's impression of the situation, back before RROD became an official problem, those same informed gamers were poo-pooing the very idea that the Xbox 360 even had an inherent design flaw and loads of them were going to croak it. The sales figures don't show much slow down in sales over the years (the opposite in fact), either during the time people were buying Xenons or every single later revision. As Microsoft don't even admit to there ever being an inherent design flaw, why would they even start telling people that it's now more reliable than past models.

A redesign would be more designed to woo the massmarket, not gamers, who will put up with pretty much anything for another fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think thats a HD-DVD drive, thats a bit bigger by the looks of it and also if you check the Xbox 360 text on the top of the unit youll see its not the same orientation as the picture Aimless posted. Could be wrong though, but if there is a slimline 360 I wouldnt be surprised if that is how it would end up looking like, unless MS really drastically change the whole look of the console.

I dont think thats a HD-DVD drive, thats a bit bigger by the looks of it and also if you check the Xbox 360 text on the top of the unit youll see its not the same orientation as the picture Aimless posted.

The orientation in that picture is actually wrong! The real HD DVD drive matches up with that 'leak' pic :(

Apologies for the silly bump, chaps.

I (rather foolishly) thought they might be legit. In my defence, I completely forgot about the HD-DVD Drive until someone on another forum posted a pic of it.

:(

Easy mistake to make, HD DVD has been dead for like what 50 years (or maybe 3) now? Easy to forget what those players looked like since they wern't that common, at first glance I thought they were legit or pretty good mock ups as well