Smaller "Slim" 360 - Now official

Pistol

If you put the Alan Wake disc in (even if you intend to play it off HD) and it initially spins up, does it still make that noise?

Seems to be something that just happens with the odd disc - maybe the disc is ever so slightly warped and not completely flat.

I'm not sure actually, can try it later on tonight. I remember someone else complaining about Alan Wake running off the disc on a slim, so it may be that the odd game is a noisy bugger due to the way it accesses data or something? For example I remember Fable 2 making a right noise on the old 360s when running off the disc but few other games ever made the machine cough and wheeze as much as that.

I'm not sure actually, can try it later on tonight. I remember someone else complaining about Alan Wake running off the disc on a slim, so it may be that the odd game is a noisy bugger due to the way it accesses data or something? For example I remember Fable 2 making a right noise on the old 360s when running off the disc but few other games ever made the machine cough and wheeze as much as that.

Cheers Majora.

I think it probably will. Reach plays fine off the HD now obviously, but if I eject the disc and close the tray again so that the disc starts spinning, I get the noise. Your Alan Wake will probably do the same.

I've never encountered this issue before with my old 360, no matter which game I played.

EDIT: Just wondering whether it's worth taking it back or if it's just one of those things. The guy in one of those YouTube vids I posted (who said his noisy disc was MW2), exchanged his unit and said that it was better on the new one, but still noticeably different.

EDIT 2: Yeah, I've read up a bit more on Alan Wake in particular and there is some talk out there of it causing the same issue. However, I've also read accounts of Slim/Alan Wake owners not having any issues. So, it's either some kind of disc press imperfection or a compatiblity issue between disc and Slim. Hmm, not sure whether to return the game or the console! Game would be easier...

The 360 is a bit crap as a DVD player, isn't it? It does a couple of good things better than other DVD players I've used (like keeping the subtitles visible when fast forwarding), but the interface when using a pad is a step backwards from that of the PS2: on the PS2, the face/thumbstick clicks were set to useful functions like Root/Title menu, and subtitle/audio switching, but on the 360 you have to use the on-screen interface for those things. But the big problem is that there doesn't seem to be a GoTo function, which meant that today when I encountered a scratched disc from LoveFilm that wouldn't play beyond a certain chapter marker, I couldn't get past it because whether I used RT fast forward or RB chapter skip, either way it would encounter the problem part of the video.

With a GoTo function I could have skipped twenty seconds beyond the problem - which is of course what I did when I put the disc in my DVD player instead. But the point is it's disappointing to see that as a DVD player, the 360's a step backwards from the PS2. (Well, except for the RGB/green screen thing, of course.)

I think I'll have to take mine back. I've had it for a couple of weeks, but tonight was actually the first time that I've put a disc in the tray (Reach) and was greeted with a horrible vibrating noise.

There's a couple of YouTube vids with the same issue:

I dug a few older games out to try and the noise was nowhere near as bad (just seemed to be Reach doing it that badly, which I installed to the HD anyway).

My Halo 3 disc has made that sort of loud rattling noise a couple of times - it quietened down after removing and re-inserting the disc and restarting the console. It hasn't happened with any of my other games, either installed or played from the disc.

Back to Argos? :unsure:

Got one today with a game of my choice for £215, didn't think that was too bad. My elite died the day after the 3 year warranty ran out :facepalm:

Just changed everything over from the elite though with a USB drive, very impressed with how easy it all was. Took all of 10 minutes to copy across the 10gb of stuff i had saved.

Let's hope this one doesn't break

My Halo 3 disc has made that sort of loud rattling noise a couple of times - it quietened down after removing and re-inserting the disc and restarting the console. It hasn't happened with any of my other games, either installed or played from the disc.

Back to Argos? :unsure:

I don't reckon that it'll be a grave fault (like anything to do with the inner workings of the drive), probably more of a case issue. My Slim is vertical (oo-er) and if I lightly hold down the grated area on the top when the noise occurs, that reduces it quite a lot (but not completely).

I'm still going to see about taking mine back (or my copy of Reach, as I mentioned before) - not because I'm afraid of it dying, more because I'm fussy with stuff not being right if I've paid good money for it (and mostly as I bought a Slim because it was supposed to be quiet, which it is most of the time, to be fair!).

• 3 weeks later...

Very happy with the new console, mainly because it doesn't feel like it's out of breath whenever you ask it to do anything.

Quick query, since the new hard drive is incompatible with old consoles, is it possible to put my gamertag and rock band DLC onto a USB stick and play it on other consoles that way?

Very happy with the new console, mainly because it doesn't feel like it's out of breath whenever you ask it to do anything.

Quick query, since the new hard drive is incompatible with old consoles, is it possible to put my gamertag and rock band DLC onto a USB stick and play it on other consoles that way?

Yes, that's what I do.

• 4 weeks later...

Just changed everything over from the elite though with a USB drive, very impressed with how easy it all was. Took all of 10 minutes to copy across the 10gb of stuff i had saved.

Can I pick and choose what stuff to transfer over, or is it all just done in a single bulk transfer?

Thinking of picking one of these up, using my 360 more and more for stuff like SkyPlayer so having a quiet system would be ace.

Are there any rumours of price drops in the run up to Christmas or new year?

Also do any retailers do good trade ins for old style 360s still or is best bet simply to sell old system on eBay?

Cheers

Transferred everything over from the old box with no problems; only exception, Sonic 1 XBLA.

It just takes me to the trial screen every time. I've deleted it, DL'd it again, same thing. Irritating.

Any ideas?

Just ordered the Amazon bundle for the 250gb console, Alan Wake, CrackDown 2, Vanquish for £210ish only to be told delivery would be "8th Dec-4th Jan", phoned Amazon and seems they have sold out of consoles and expecting a shipment in early Dec. Order cancelled.

Anyone know if the 360 holiday bundle (http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/11/01/xbox-360-holiday-2010-bundle.aspx) is coming to the UK?

• 2 months later...

It annoys me that the budget 4gb version is a sleek matte black and the all singing all dancing 250gb one is a fingerprint and dust magnet gloss finish.

Surely everyone knows matte is better right?

Yeah. I'd have much preferred matte black.

It annoys me that the budget 4gb version is a sleek matte black and the all singing all dancing 250gb one is a fingerprint and dust magnet gloss finish.

Yeah. I'd have much preferred matte black.

which is why pocchacco and I purchased the arcade edition and then picked up the 250GB hdd separately. it worked out rather nicely for me seeing as TRU was ging away an 8GB official microsoft usb flashdrive with the purchase of the arcade systems

Is that just a case of transferring the gamertag from the hard drive to a USB stick then? You don't have to do the recovery process every time?

that's correct. I've had my gamertag and RB license file on a usb stick for the past 2 systems (I used the port in the back since I was running a hardline for my live connection).

Are they really? I didn't know that.

If I was buying one, I'd probably get the 4gb version and stick my 120GB drive in it anyway, so getting the nicer fingerprint resistant version. Not that I need one. Nooooo.

Are they really? I didn't know that.

If I was buying one, I'd probably get the 4gb version and stick my 120GB drive in it anyway, so getting the nicer fingerprint resistant version. Not that I need one. Nooooo.

Do the old HDDs fit on the new slims? I didnt think they did.

Is that just a case of transferring the gamertag from the hard drive to a USB stick then? You don't have to do the recovery process every time?

As j.m.ratkos said, it's that simple and you just have to plug into the USB into any console you want to use it on.