IGNORED

Sherlock

FishyFish

Just now, George Clooney said:

Current plot summary on Wikipedia is quite funny

Reveal hidden contents

"Is a bit shit.  That's all.  Mary dies

Thought it was ok. Its at its best when they're actually looking at interesting cases or puzzles.  This had a bit more of it, but not nearly enough.

That spoiler doesn't work in the post preview because it says

[spoilers] where i'd expect [spoiler]

?

Feels to me they're gradually losing the whole essence of what makes the original Sherlock stories so good. Yes, there's always a bit of character stuff going on in them, but it's really all about the sodding cases. I really don't want the shows to be the equivalent of a well acted soap.

It's a shame, because the bits which were about deduction were great.

I enjoyed the episode, but:

That memory stick thing failed the bullshit test harder than anything ever. Does no one say 'no' to Gatiss and Moffat? Aside from the ludicrous non-logic of the agents carrying them around on missions where they could easily be captured, the BLOODY THING WOULD HAVE IMMEDIATELY FALLEN OUT OF THE BUST AS SOON AS ANYONE PICKED IT UP!

"We all carried an unencrypted memory stick each with all our information on us at all times as a mutually assured destruction insurance technique to ensure complete trust within our crack team. We all swore we'd never share it and that it would be devastating if one were found. This was a great and foolproof scheme. Despite showing in the very episode an obvious setback: capture or death would necessitate an immediate and improvised requirement to hide or destroy one or more sticks. We were a crack team of experts."

Yeah that was proper shit. 

Mary being a super spy has always been shit, and while I get why they had to bump her off to bring the show back to Sherlock and John solving mysteries on their own, they only have 3 episodes every 2 years and spending one of those on that just feels like such a waste. Looks like next week is a case of the week type situation and then I assume it'll be Moriarty again for the last week. 

Bit of a shame, as this used to be absolutely cracking telly. Hopefully it'll be better next week!

Holmes and Watson are such fun and well realised characters it's easy not to notice how poor a lot of the actual plotting is. They really need to drop the serialised arc stuff. That includes all the moriarty bollocks. It's choking the life out of the good stuff - essentialy, watching Holmes solve crimes while Watson cleans up the human mess he leaves in his wake. Example - by far the best bit was Holmes going to the home of the parents of the dead kid and being a total arsehole as he solved what happened.

I thought this was poor. Too much of the plot relied on coincidence, including the main storyline. I know they've covered it before, but Mary being some super spy assassin is just ridiculous. The actual premise of this episode was fairly laughable too - classified USBs around the neck? To top it all off, I just didn't find the story particularly interesting or engaging. 

6 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I thought this was poor. Too much of the plot relied on coincidence, including the main storyline. I know they've covered it before, but Mary being some super spy assassin is just ridiculous. The actual premise of this episode was fairly laughable too - classified USBs around the neck? To top it all off, I just didn't find the story particularly interesting or engaging. 

Classified and unencrypted! 

Never understood the hype for this show, most overrated drama programme of the last decade IMO, watched the BBC2 documentary on Thailand instead, far more entertaining and enjoyable in every way.

Like others have said, it was a bit poor.  The ongoing story arc (specifically the "Watson's wife was a super spy" plot) is by some distance the worst thing about this show, and it appears to have taken over.  It's also made more problematic by the fact we get two-year breaks between series, so no-one can remember what the hell was going on last time anyway.  Add me to the list of people longing for the days when Sherlock and Watson just went off and solved crimes.

It reminds me a bit of the sixth series of (new) Doctor Who, where Moffat took a Saturday evening programme with a wide, casual audience of both kids and adults, and gave it the most unbelievably convoluted story arc full of robot impersonators, time travelling doppelgangers and people who were each other's children.  I watched every episode and barely followed what was going on - nobody I watched it with had the slightest clue. Thankfully he's reined it back in since then; as with Sherlock it wasn't really problematic in itself, but it was completely wrong for that particular show.  Seems that sometimes he just can't help himself.

I always find myself going back to the Jeremy Brett shows. For me, it still captures everything that makes Holmes...well, Holmes! Some delicious overacting in parts for sure (and the later episodes clearly show a Brett increasingly sick), but you get everything that makes the stories classics. It's incredibly annoying because I think first (and second) series of the new ones are really great - they did something just different enough but really kept that essence of the originals.

This all said, at the very least this episode was better than the christmas episode, which was one of the worst things I'd seen on TV for a long time!