IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS - first thread

Troublegum

I managed to get my hands on a 3DS for the first time last weekend when I was poncing about Currys. It was quite exciting - at last! A chance to see what all the fuss what about. Lo! The 3D did shine through and melted my brain as I stared in wonder at the sight of cute puppies and cats frolicking about together. It only took a minute but I started to get a pretty crummy headache in my brainspace. I put down the unit and realised that I was probably right to resist the charms of all that advertising.

3DS then. Not for me.

It's been said many times that in most cases, adverse affects from 3DS playage are temporary and you overcome them. If you're getting headaches that quickly, though, maybe it really isn't for you.

Playing Mario 64 DS I think has made me realise what 3D adds to the gameplay. I've been getting frustrated not being able to work out spacial relationships in the game, overshooting coins and things. 3D is great.

I managed to get my hands on a 3DS for the first time last weekend when I was poncing about Currys. It was quite exciting - at last! A chance to see what all the fuss what about. Lo! The 3D did shine through and melted my brain as I stared in wonder at the sight of cute puppies and cats frolicking about together. It only took a minute but I started to get a pretty crummy headache in my brainspace. I put down the unit and realised that I was probably right to resist the charms of all that advertising.

3DS then. Not for me.

I was exactly the same, first day I got mine (a week ago) I had a slight headache after playing, but now I can play it for as long as I like and no headaches or sore eyes, I even play it with 3D at max now too and no problems.

3DS then. Not for me.

This is exactly what I feared you have saved me $200. The old whys tail is right - if something is too good to be true it probably is as in not true. I'll stick to my kindle for my handheld gimmickless entertainment.

3DS then. Not for me.

Honestly, I had the same problem for the first attempt with a 3DS. Comfortable play is all about the slider position – you have to wind it down in strong artificial light conditions, such as a brightly-lit electrical retail outlet. Now owning one myself, I can play for a couple of hours pretty much solidly with no eyestrain or headaches, having gotten used to adjusting the slider to suit the ambient light conditions. :)

Got a 3DS a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it.

I think that's because I didn't play many DS games and now I am buying all the classic DS games cheap and playing them on the 3DS. Super Mario DS, Proffessor Layton, Super Scribblenauts...

It's enough to keep me going for months. Then theres the stuff from the DSi Store/eShop when that opens up. Then there all the N64 remakes (never played N64 games either so all thats ahead of me).

Yeah 3DS works for me. And the 3D is great. Not integral to gameplay yet, but when I switch it off... it all looks so flat and... BORING!

I got scottcr on StreetPass today, haha. I don't know what he looks like, but I did see someone waggling enthusiastically outside central station, so I guess it must've been him.

You didnt, he's build into the system, as hes a fictional person.

Oh come on. It has absolutely nothing to do with it not being 8 bit any more, its because it looks like a completely charmless early PS1 era mess.

cavestory_03.jpg

Compare a screenshot like this to the concept art they released...

Cave-Story-Concept-Art-2.jpg

...and you can see what a let down it is. The 3DS can, and will, do far better.

Oh come on. It has absolutely nothing to do with it not being 8 bit any more, its because it looks like a completely charmless early PS1 era mess.

cavestory_03.jpg

Compare a screenshot like this to the concept art they released...

Cave-Story-Concept-Art-2.jpg

...and you can see what a let down it is. The 3DS can, and will, do far better.

and I fully expect it to look like that when released... we're seeing close up screenshots...