IGNORED

F3AR

The Shockmaster

I dunno man, it looks pretty basic, even ugly to my eyes. I thought that way back in 2006 when I played the demo. It looks even worse now, obviously.

The sequel looks fine.

Here's the thing, the entire game is set in a bland office. It's a really bizarre design choice, but a testament to the AI and the combat that I still enjoyed it a lot.

Fear 2 goes all over the shop, no complaints from me on that front.

Shit looked tight on PC yo

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Was the reason, ironically, that people explode for no reason?

No, in all seriousness, I really do think that's shit. It's so odd, visually and conceptually.

I'm not particularly fond of OTT damage models, but the rest (splitting in half etc) I can deal with, but the pop into a puff of blood?

Looks silly.

Anyway, huh, I really enjoyed this, true story.

No, in all seriousness, I really do think that's shit. It's so odd, visually and conceptually.

I'm not particularly fond of OTT damage models, but the rest (splitting in half etc) I can deal with, but the pop into a puff of blood?

Looks silly.

Anyway, huh, I really enjoyed this, true story.

Success!

It's got some of favourite things, it's so cheeseball. It reminds me of Return to Castle Wolfenstein in that sense, although obviously it's a much, much better shooter.

I love all that crazy para-normal, evil company messing around stuff, like Resident Evil for instance. And this has SECRET UNDERGROUND LABS. And INVISIBLE NINJA SOLDIERS WHO ELECTROCUTE YOU AND DO BACKFLIPS ALSO.

These are things that I like.

Yeah, it's good. I've got some niggles, some of the design of the basic troopers, I do feel the whole thing feels that tad too floaty and light (PC heritage I guess), early on I was finding something irritating about the movement (apart from the weight), some kind of issue with the player POV, guns lack a bit of oomph (maybe needs more shaking effect on screen) but generally it's pretty good.

It looks great, far more than my initial comments gave credit. It's got some really fantastic lighting, and the environments are incredibly detailed and chock a block with stuff, they've had a lot of work put into them. Loved the look of it, the wrecked streets looked gorgeous. No, the game looks amazing. Some absolutely epic scenes in this, with lovely particle effects and incredible lighting.

The story is told efficiently, you can get plenty of more info from the notes scattered around (if you want to), it's got great audio and some good music too.

Oh, I didn't mention the AI, which is greeeeeeat. Often quite engaging.

I do think there was something missing there, though, something I can't quite put my finger on. I played it on hard and it felt it still missing a certain kind of challenge.

A few more things - super sense of body for an FPS. Climbling up ladders felt strangely good. Some nice melee stuff. I'm weird, yeah. There's a bunch of small touches throughout the game I can't remember right now, but erm I liked those too.

If I go back to the Fear 2 thread will I find people mentioning the graphics? Because they're nice.

*edit*

I just remembered I had a problem with the reticule being, what, too big or something? And POV thing, don't know how to describe it, but it's nigglesome.

It's got some of favourite things, it's so cheeseball. It reminds me of Return to Castle Wolfenstein in that sense, although obviously it's a much, much better shooter.

I love all that crazy para-normal, evil company messing around stuff, like Resident Evil for instance. And this has SECRET UNDERGROUND LABS. And INVISIBLE NINJA SOLDIERS WHO ELECTROCUTE YOU AND DO BACKFLIPS ALSO.

These are things that I like.

Yeah, it's good. I've got some niggles, some of the design of the basic troopers, I do feel the whole thing feels that tad too floaty and light (PC heritage I guess), early on I was finding something irritating about the movement (apart from the weight), some kind of issue with the player POV, guns lack a bit of oomph (maybe needs more shaking effect on screen) but generally it's pretty good.

It looks great, far more than my initial comments gave credit. It's got some really fantastic lighting, and the environments are incredibly detailed and chock a block with stuff, they've had a lot of work put into them. Loved the look of it, the wrecked streets looked gorgeous. No, the game looks amazing. Some absolutely epic scenes in this, with lovely particle effects and incredible lighting.

The story is told efficiently, you can get plenty of more info from the notes scattered around (if you want to), it's got great audio and some good music too.

I bet you came a little bit when you get inside the mech for the first time. The machinecannons sound fantastic. Wddddrrrrvvvvvvvv

And yes it's too easy even on hard

Yeah, I was kind of understating in my previous post, for fear of upsetting the mob. :)

It's not as hard as I like, but i'll let that slide because it's a lot of fun. A lot.

I was really hoping that I would unlock a higher difficulty setting, but sadly I haven't. :D

That's a shame, because I really like it hard.

I bet you came a little bit when you get inside the mech for the first time. The machinecannons sound fantastic. Wddddrrrrvvvvvvvv

Yes, although I thought the HUD was a bit generic and ugly. Actually, I wasn't too taken with the design of the larger mechs, personally.

But I was machine-gunning people into mince in a stompy mech so I smiled and smiled and had to lie down for a while.

Did I mention the joy of pinning a soldier to the wall with four giant glowing depleted uranium bolts through his stupid fucking eyes?

I must have mentioned that because that is fucking good stuff.

How do the guns feel and handle? Do they feel heavy and is there lots of recoil and other 'life-like' stuff like in KillZone2? I don't like it when I play a shooter and the recoil and handling you get from shooting a gun feels like you're shooting a toys gun ;|.

It's a shame you can't turn off the grain and glowy slow-mo, the only 2 visual detractors from the presentation. Otherwise, it's one of the slickest games on 360. As you said, like Condemned, Monolith really make you feel part of the character even though it's all in 3rd person. Especially the gun struggles near the end.

How do the guns feel and handle? Do they feel heavy and is there lots of recoil and other 'life-like' stuff like in KillZone2? I don't like it when I play a shooter and the recoil and handling you get from shooting a gun feels like you're shooting a toys gun ;|.

There are some minor issues here, I definitely think they should take a look at improving it, but honestly it's nothing to put you off the game.

To answer your question, basically no, but you can get over it, I did. My preference would be for a heavier feel to the whole thing, including weapons.

It's a shame you can't turn off the grain and glowy slow-mo, the only 2 visual detractors from the presentation.

I must admit, I didn't really like too much. But then again we are dealing with some very gloomy environments at times and I imagine that's the reason.

I agree, if there was an option I would turn it off. I wasn't bothered by the grain, though, it is has great visuals all round.

Anyway, Fear 3, i'm there day one, bitches.

The guns definitely feel heftier in the first one, but they're still great in the sequel. The nailgun in the first game is fucking amazing, especially when they fly back into the wall going 'FFFFWWWOOOOOAAARRGGHHHCCCKCKKK'

I actually really like the slo-mo-glo (sorry) in the second one, it's like a murderous hallucination.

Not sure where they can go with it though. Maybe they can concentrate on making it challenging as well as fun this time.

Indeed.

So guys I'm just wondering if I should try and get over my revulsion at Fear 1s graphics and play it?

Indeed.

So guys I'm just wondering if I should try and get over my revulsion at Fear 1s graphics and play it?

Yes you really should. The graphics are admittedly very boxy and all offices but the game gives you a lot more open space for battles as well as giving the AI more to work with making them really fun to fight. Also, the weapon sounds are better in FEAR compared to FEAR 2, especially the shotguns. You will also find difficulties which make it much harder than FEAR 2.

Here's a video with some gameplay just to show you some weapons in action etc:

Indeed.

Most certainly, the weird thing is FEAR 1 excels in the two areas you flagged up; the difficulty and the meatiness of the guns. It might look like balls these days and the level design wasn't great even when it came out, but the whole game is pretty much an excuse to keep throwing 'that' combat at you.

The AI's every bit as good as in the sequel, and because the bad guys can take a bit more punishment it actually seems even better simply because they get more of a chance to use it against you. The guns are meaty as fuck, with the automatics feeling almost out of control in the best possible sense and a shotgun that looks puny yet feels devastating. The nail gun's better than the one in the sequel, too.

In short: average 'game' with the best combat this side of Halo.