Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii

The Sarge

I think this might be the best Wii game.

Although perhaps somewhat ironically, as Mentazm mentioned it's best played on PC (if you've got something that can handle it and have lovely comfy surroundings, wireless gamepad, nice cup of tea etc).

• 5 weeks later...

I've mentioned this in the Wii U and What Are You Playing Now threads but didn't want to post in here until I finished it.

What a game. I put off buying it for fucking ages and then when I finally got a copy it sat there for over a year until I just thought I'd try it.

That was a few weeks ago and now over 170 hours later, at level 97 I finished it - and started new game plus straight away.

I haven't been this hooked on a game for ages. Fire Emblem was probably the last one, where I soaked up the atmosphere and mechanics of the whole thing as well as the story. This deserves to be so much more, bizarrely I think being on the Wii helps the design because the game feels like a super PS2 title, with every area filled with quests, animals and more importantly life. It makes a huge difference that I feel like everything exists in the world naturally, rather than just beasties trying to kill me or set pieces.

I can actually buy into the fact that this is a giant creature with life teeming on it. Even with the bonkers story line, the game universe seems plausible for the most part so I can just go alongn with it.

End spoilers:

How fucking great is Fiora? Once you get her skill trees sorted and her agility up, she's a fucking beast. Criticals and double attacks everywhere, especially with that huge fuck off topple attack and her multiple swords/laser cannon talent arts. She really invigorated the final part of the game for me, I didn't care that most of the final missions I had were killing/looting because I just enjoyed her attacks so much.

The reveal at the end was totally bizarre. I wasn't expecting it to be a science experiment gone wrong, which made me wonder... if Alvis is still a computer, does that mean the 'universe' is actually virtual reality? It was sort of ambiguous after they said that Klaus/Zanza ended their universe but the last boss saw you go through space. So does Earth still exist or are they in another dimension or did they literally just make a new universe on top of the old one and that space montage was just a projection or what?

Starting NG+ caught me out a little, everyone looks like as they did when the game finished so seeing Mumkhar made me laugh a bit. I didn't face the superbosses in my first playthrough, when can I fight them and how will I know when I've done 'everything' in game? I did all the heart to hearts and got Colony 6 up to 100% but I wasn't sure if there were any side quests left.

One of the games of the generation, wouldn't begrudge them making an HD remake with all the menu stuff on the Gamepad - totally hyped for X now, if they can accomplish this on the Wii then the Wii U should see them really push the boat out. Would've had decent development time too.

Just a shame, once again, that they'll be releasing it on a platform where the interest has gone and not a lot of people will pick this up. Oh well.

If they made a HD port of this I would buy that console. Even the WiiU.

It's just a waste that only a handful of people got to play this.

I can relate to that… When I got my copy in the later part of 2011, I no longer had any drive to play anything on the Wii, let alone an RPG with a very, very, very long gameplay time., sadly. I know it's a classic, but I can't see myself ever playing it.

As for the sequel, I would be a day-one person for that in theory, but I've got a huge doubts that it will ever be released due to the Wii U already being at the end of its commercial life.

I can relate to that… When I got my copy in the later part of 2011, I no longer had any drive to play anything on the Wii, let alone an RPG with a very, very, very long gameplay time., sadly. I know it's a classic, but I can't see myself ever playing it.

Bloody hell, you're the problem - taking a copy out of the hands of someone who'd want to play it ;) It's damn long game though, my save says 60 hours and I'm not even halfway through plus it's been that long since I did play it I'm worried I won't remember how to play it. Can't leave those side quests alone...

If anyone's in or around Manchester, I spotted a preowned copy for £14.99 in the bigger GAME in the Arndale yesterday.

I didn't buy it because I own it, and finally finished it last December after two years on and off. Probably not saying anything that hasn't already been said in this topic, but it's utterly brilliant, and so well pitched that I'd recommend it to newcomers to the genre despite its size.

What put me off about this was reading a review that stated a major plot point happened ... EIGHTY HOURS into the game. Even then, it was only about halfway through it.

Fuck that. I don't have that much time to spare.

And that's why I ended up not buying it.

Don't be put off by the talk of it taking 100+ hours to complete. The game is padded out with a lot of totally optional content. You could completely ignore the Collectopaedia, the gem crafting, the colony restoration, the affinity chart, skill linking, sub quests, etc. and still have plenty of game to enjoy. The way the combat and levelling works means that no grinding is necessary, the gameplay is designed to let you get on with enjoying the game.

Apparently a speedrunner completed the game in under 10 hours, if you want to enjoy the best JRPG the Wii has to offer, don't let time constraints put you off. As Nobuo's Organ says, the game gets a lot out of the Wii hardware, with some moments of true spectacle. It's a really refreshing and innovative example of how good the genre can be.

• 3 weeks later...