IGNORED

Retro TV Choices for Gaming

Yiggy

I managed to scrounge a 14" Sony Trinitron CRT from a friend which I use for all my RGB retro gaming.

I have tried the Saturn and PC Engine on my old Dell 24" LCD Monitor and the results were awful over composite which was the only imput choice.

I have also tried both those on a Samsung 26" HD LCD with an RGB input. The results were better but still left a lot to be desired. This leads me to 3 questions.

1. If I wanted to get a larger 20-24" CRT TV from Ebay are there any that are particuarly spectacular? My default is a Sony Trinitron/Wega model as I assume they are decent and my 14" has a cracking picture. Are there other brands that are as good for overall quality? My main requirement would be for it to last a long time but also to have a very good picture.

2. Does anyboy on here have such a TV that they don't want any more? I might post something in the Wanted forum but whilst I was writing this I realised somebody on here might have one. I am on the South Coast and can pick up from the South East all the way up to London and the immediate surrounding areas. I have added a thread to the Wanted Folder.

3. Are there any current LCD/Plasma/LED TV's that give a very good RGB picture on retro consoles? We want to replace our aged old non HD TV soon so something along the 36-42" mark that has that feature would be a must. Also though any smaller models up to 26" that would give good quality for a full time gaming TV if I dont go down the bigger CRT route. Are any brands particuarly better than others?

For now I will soldier on with my teeny 14" job but playing my new Neo Geo on it I cant help but feel I am lacking a bigger experience.

Ta. Yigs.

Might be worth posting a location in case anyone is near you :facepalm:

Done. Cheers Lorf. Posted a thread in Wanted as well.

Still interested in my other points as well if anybody wants to add what they use or reccomend etc.

I've been looking for a decent replacement for my Amiga monitor for the past two years and....found one on the side of the road. Sony Trinitron, and it multisyncs!

I can't belive I found one for free. I would have gladly spent $500AU for a decent crt for gaming. Surely there's a gap in the market here.

Guys, just realize to that with the plethora of mods and adapters available from hobbyists now, getting an older TV is not a necessity anymore.

I doubt that any adapter can make a new LCD look like a CRT with and RGB SCART input. You can probably get an old CRT TV for the price of one of these adapters.

Guys, just realize to that with the plethora of mods and adapters available from hobbyists now, getting an older TV is not a necessity anymore.

Really? Details please. And if the response is long enough I'd contact Retro Gamer and get them to commission writing an article on the best way to go for playing old games on new TV's (that don't involve using a PC and an emulator.)

Really? Details please. And if the response is long enough I'd contact Retro Gamer and get them to commission writing an article on the best way to go for playing old games on new TV's (that don't involve using a PC and an emulator.)

I'd be interested in finding out more about this (if the quality of the picture is any good, of course!)

Upscalers spring to mind - try this site for a far-too-detailed comparison.

I think my head's going to explode! A great link, but just too much information to take in in one go!

I did find this unit linked to on the site:

http://www.hdgamingpro.com/index.php?page=...1&Itemid=37

Unfortunately there's no review or screenshots of it in action.

Well I'm very interested in that. I assume it works the same way as upscaler in a DVD player. Only difference is wouldn't say a megadrive run at an even lower resolution?

If this gives a good picture on MD, PCE and AES I think I have just found my dream.

There must be some reviews somewhere.

Megadrive is 240p ideally no? Choddo has a decent scaler. They are expensive, but probably worth it if you don't want to compromise on TVs.

There's a fucking beautiful maybe 24inch 4:3 Sony Trinitron in one of the meeting rooms here. If they ever get shot of it I'm totally nabbing that for some retro shit. (If I have a bigger apartment!)

Is that link by Rob to the "HD Universal Convertor" by Coosis? Its blocked at work.

Seems like an interesting option.

The following may be a stupid question but I have pretty much no idea about these things and this just crossed my mind when reading the full article above.

I have a Sony DVD upscaler at home already, cant remember the name of it though, I may be way way off the mark here but would it be possible to connect in a console, probably my Neo Geo, to this and get an upscaled output?

Is that even possible.

Is that link by Rob to the "HD Universal Convertor" by Coosis? Its blocked at work.

Seems like an interesting option.

The following may be a stupid question but I have pretty much no idea about these things and this just crossed my mind when reading the full article above.

I have a Sony DVD upscaler at home already, cant remember the name of it though, I may be way way off the mark here but would it be possible to connect in a console, probably my Neo Geo, to this and get an upscaled output?

Is that even possible.

No that wouldn't work.

Megadrive is 240p ideally no? Choddo has a decent scaler. They are expensive, but probably worth it if you don't want to compromise on TVs.

There's a fucking beautiful maybe 24inch 4:3 Sony Trinitron in one of the meeting rooms here. If they ever get shot of it I'm totally nabbing that for some retro shit. (If I have a bigger apartment!)

I had a Trinitron of the same size. God, it was so lush for RGB etc.

Well I tried my MD and PCE on my spare 26" LG HD TV and the picture was fucking awful. Lines all over it. Washed out etc. I really don't see how an upscaler would fix those sorts of issues.

I bid £10 for that 21" Trinitron and won it. Gonna pick it up on Sunday. I have been told the screen is mint so hopefully I can find a good place for it.

I still have a 24" Sony Trinitron that's working fine after 15 years of game reviews and inevitable screen burn. It's doing better than its remote control, in fact, which is failing us button by button. Originally, I sought it out for its 'rare' NTSC support and range of inputs. I've acquired a Panasonic G10 for contemporary gaming needs (Gorf King endorsement, I think) but that stays in my home office and we still happily watch telly on the Sony.

Having tried a US SNES on the G10, I'll be sad when the Trinitron dies.