IGNORED

Retro TV Choices for Gaming

Yiggy

Be a bit careful with these boxes. If you put 50Hz (pal) in and get 60Hz out the picture may be jerky and horrible.

I can't work out if these boxes can be set to do 50hz out. Maybe his new product does.

If I can get hold of a unit to test I'll take photos and see if I can grab some video footage, too.

I'll be testing:

- SNES @50hz and 60hz

- Saturn @50hz

- N64 @50hz

- Xbox @50hz and 60hz

- PS2 @50hz

- Supergun @60hz

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know a thing about PAL or RGB, but I have a 36" CRT Hitachi Ultravision Digital HD Ready NTSC TV with Y, Pb, Pr component, S-Vid, VGA, and composite inputs, and it outputs the best picture Ive ever seen, 240p, 480i, 480p, or 1080i and VGA 640x480 and 800x600.

If they make a UK equivalent you should def. check it out...

Dont know a thing about PAL or RGB, but I have a 36" CRT Hitachi Ultravision Digital HD Ready NTSC TV with Y, Pb, Pr component, S-Vid, VGA, and composite inputs, and it outputs the best picture Ive ever seen, 240p, 480i, 480p, or 1080i and VGA 640x480 and 800x600.

If they make a UK equivalent you should def. check it out...

How did you get that through the door?

I'd be interested in this upscaler, so reports plz Rob!

a little bit of a hijack if I may...

I'm putting the finishing touches to my games room/retro den/man cave. The rough plan I have for this room is to have a space to play some of my retro stuff that doesn't get a look in these days as it's not under the TV. I use the term retro loosely here, it's basically anything that isn't current gen, so that would span 16-bit era through to PS2/DC/GC.

I'm going to need a TV, nothing fancy obviously, probably in the region of 22"-26" screen size. I accept that a lot of the old systems are going to look a bit poor on an LCD, but I'm not going to buy a CRT just for this. RGB SCART inputs are obviously a must, maybe component too if I can get it.

Any thoughts? or advice?

I was looking at this 26" Sammy (Samsung LE26B450C4)

I don't know how to get into the service menu (I mean the one a Sony engineer would use) where that option may exist.

It's certainly not on the usual user menu screens.

Google the model number of the set and 'service menu'?

A quick update - the upscaler was despatched today, so it should be with me sometime next week.

Once I get hold of it'll I'll start giving it a detailed once over.

Nice, looking forward to hearing about this piece of kit.

Very decent of the guy to send it over.

The only annoying thing is that the image on all consoles is about 1cm off screen, as you can see from the pic. Might be an RGB thing. Kind of weird.

Thing is though I have tried 3 TV's including an identical 14" Sony that I had before and it did the same thing. Almost needs a shift to the right in all cases. Its not too bad though. The quite amazing RGB picture more than makes up for it. If anything the PC-Engine looks even better.

I actually got it on the premise that it would be going up into the loft for when I have sorted out a games room but I dont think I can put it back now. <_<

you need to go into the service menu and adjust the vertical/horizontal geometry.

The difference is well worth it, as you are losing a fair bit of image in that picture

OK, I've managed to have a 'very quick faff on the upscaler earlier this evening.

I'll be making photos and more detailed test results available over the next week or so, but here are some initial tests to kick things off.

The machine I tested was a region and 50/60hz switchable SNES, and the games I tested were Mario Allstars with Super Mario World (PAL) and Super Ghouls n Ghosts (NTSC).

I wasn't sure how I was expecting the upscaler to output the image. If I plug my SNES straight into the plasma the picture is VERY blocky, but not in a good way. The blocks are slightly mis-shapen, and it doesn't look very good at all.

With the upscaler the image is output in a smoothed fashion, a bit like one of the filters you often get on retro game compilations. My initial feeling is that it's nowhere near as a good as the picture on a CRT, but it 'is' better than the picture I was getting when plugging the SNES directly into the TV.

I also tested firing 50 and 60hz feeds into the system. I'll try out some other systems, but initial results indicate that this unit is only really meant to have a 60hz feed into it. With 50hz the scrolling is VERY jerky indeed.

If I plugged my SNES directly into my TV and scrolled left or right, I'd get a weird slightly out of kilter line every so often (sort of like how MAME sometimes displays on some settings). This has thankfully completely gone with the upscaler, but I did notice a very VERY tiny pause in the scrolling every 10 seconds or so. It's hard to explain this, but if you've seen one of those cheap DVD players where the image 'chugs' it's a bit like that, but only every 10 seconds or so. Compared to the horrible scanline it's a million times better.

I'll give further systems a test and will also give a full lowdown of the specs of the unit as and when I get more time.

• 2 weeks later...
CRT all the way then.

If some enterprising company were to bring out a gaming tv that would cover old resolutions and refresh rates they could clean up.

(Mind you consoles without a screen buffer like the Atari 2600 will still be screwed given that they rely on the persistance of image thing.)

CRT all the way then.

Certainly looks like it.

On a slightly different note - I found that the Game Cube plugged into my plasma using RGB SCART looked absolutely fantastic. Yet, when I tried my Wii (which I've long since sold) using both RGB SCART and its crappy HDMI output, the picture quality was terrible, and almost N64 in terms of vasoline-o-vision.

Most odd.

How did you get that through the door?

With help! :) Honestly, its the heaviest piece of kit Ive ever attempted to lift. It cannot be moved without one man on each side of it. Its got to be all of 150 lbs. Its got a high contrast deep black picture tube (a feature touted by Hitachi at the time) and outputs a magnificently colorful and sharp picture. Games in 480p or 1080i component, or 800x600 VGA look absolutely fantastic...

• 3 weeks later...
Got lucky at the boot fair, found a 21" Trinitron :) Gorgeous, but I had to do some service menu fiddling to get a image that was the right size

Right. You gotta help me. I have a 21" Trinitron as seen earlier in the thread with the same problem. Cut off Image. How did you get to the service menu?

I have never managed to find out.

go into standby

press osd/info button

then 5

then volume up

then the tv/square button

It should display TT in the corner. Then press menu

I can still remember that from my Trinitron years ago :)

You have to press the buttons fairly quickly after each other, no long pauses so memorise where those buttons are.

Great find Dandy, I bet the SNES is looking grand on it.

Following Dandy's lead, I stepped up my search for a suitable retro Tv. 3 minutes omn ebay later I found a 21inch Trinitron for 99p - finishing this morning. Local pick up only but the guy lived a few minutes drive from my wife's work!

Awesome retro Tv get! Fully NTSC compatible too. Here's my PC Engine running on it thru composite

dsc01678k.jpg

And my switched 60hz Saturn thru Scart

dsc01680.jpg

But my Megadrive needs a better Scart lead tho as the picture is squashed (this is a PAL MD)

dsc01681q.jpg

I am genuinely excited about this!

Following Dandy's lead, I stepped up my search for a suitable retro Tv. 3 minutes omn ebay later I found a 21inch Trinitron for 99p - finishing this morning. Local pick up only but the guy lived a few minutes drive from my wife's work!

Awesome retro Tv get! Fully NTSC compatible too. Here's my PC Engine running on it thru composite

dsc01678k.jpg

And my switched 60hz Saturn thru Scart

dsc01680.jpg

But my Megadrive needs a better Scart lead tho as the picture is squashed (this is a PAL MD)

dsc01681q.jpg

I am genuinely excited about this!

Do you mean the widescreen mode it's went into, or the PAL borders? You can get rid of the widescreen in the options - which you probably already know...

Certainly looks like it.

On a slightly different note - I found that the Game Cube plugged into my plasma using RGB SCART looked absolutely fantastic. Yet, when I tried my Wii (which I've long since sold) using both RGB SCART and its crappy HDMI output, the picture quality was terrible, and almost N64 in terms of vasoline-o-vision.

Most odd.

The Wii has staggeringly shitty output quality full-stop. God knows why.

Defo not PAL borders, It ran with a larger screen through composite, not WS mode either as the Saturn was full screen through the same Scart socket. The scart lead in question gave the same results though my Master System MK1

Changed the Scart lead and now runs fine! Spent the morning juggling stuff around the gameroom, Mastersystem went back in the loft, MS Powerbase convertor came out! Space saved!!

dsc01682ju.jpg