Retro TV Choices for Gaming

Yiggy

Cheers for the heads up on the SLG/Mame stuff, the cab boots straight into a frontend to select games and its been a while since i played about with Mame on a standalone PC so wasn't sure if it could do scanlines.

I might have to fire up Deathsmiles again to check out the Arcade mode, thinking I might have only played it on 360 mode from what your saying there.

Cheers for the heads up on the SLG/Mame stuff, the cab boots straight into a frontend to select games and its been a while since i played about with Mame on a standalone PC so wasn't sure if it could do scanlines.

My latest version of MameFX32 (1.34) has plenty of scanline options and the newest Mame (1.42u1) has a raft of new shaders for CRT curve, RGB, scanline etc. emulation. If you did use the SLG3000 in Mame (which you don't need to do!) bear in mind that it won't rotate the lines for you so all verts will look wrong because they'll have horizontal scanlines. Actually, if you grew up playing these game in the arcades they'll very likely look wrong but if you came to them through emulation years later then it might not bother you at all.

Apparently you can make your own scanline generator very cheaply and easily (dependent on your skills) as follows:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/vga-scanlines.htm

I don't have the skills personally but would love one of these. If anyone can make me one I'll gladly pay for the parts and your time/skills.

I can get these made. I've got a Chinese electronics factory at my disposal with an electrical engineering team. If someone want to do the legwork and gauge interest get together enough preorders to cover the MOQ of the components then this can happen. Ideally you'd need one person to focus on UK and mainland Europe and one to cover North America and Canada.

Please note, it won't happen quickly. Money will be needed to cover the costs upfront.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully the majority of those are broken...

I struggle on in the HD age with a CRT. I feel like a right gumby not having a lovely flat-panel plasma HD beauty, but I simply can't overlook the fact that my decade-old Sony gives me such a good picture!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the majority of those are broken...

I struggle on in the HD age with a CRT. I feel like a right gumby not having a lovely flat-panel plasma HD beauty, but I simply can't overlook the fact that my decade-old Sony gives me such a good picture!

This! Plus they aint free!

I used to be the same, we had a lovely 32" Sony Trinitron widescreen CRT and the picture was great for TV and non HD consoles. But having had a Plasma for about a year now, with the Wii via component and the PS3 and Xbox 360 via HDMI, I just can't go back. When I go to the mother-in-laws and see our old telly there, the picture just looks so fuzzy - especially any text. Still play my old consoles on the 21" CRT in the spare room though.

• 2 months later...

This! Plus they aint free!

Cant believe my beloved Hitachi 36" 1080i/480p CRT died. Have half a mind to bring it to a repair shop even though Ive replaced it with non-HD JVC 36". The Hitachi had such a stunning picture, especially for GC and Wii 480p-- the best I've seen anywhere. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience of RGB -> YUV converters? I've heard good (and bad) things about the CSY-2100, which can be got here in Australasia without too much bother.

Might be the answer to my lack-of-SCART-socket woes down here in NZ.

Couldn't find this thread earlier on my ipod so apologies for the re-post but for anyone in the Maidstone area, the British heart foundation have loads of crts for sale at silly prices. 28" widescreen Sony for £25 was just one I saw. Wish I had the room. The plastic pistols thread has made me all nostalgic for a bit of Time Crisis!

• 5 months later...

Picked up a 14" Triniton for a fiver. :)

Anyone got any suggestions for picture settings? Once I get fiddling with it I'm terrible and can't settle for anything. There are three settings you can customise: "picture", colour and brightness. I can't quite figure out whether "picture" is just contrast or something more. I'm playing REmake at the moment, so I just customised brightness according to the game's suggestion, but I can't make my mind up over the optimal levels of the other two.