World of Warcraft Cataclysm

Sergeant Squid

What'd you duel-wield though? Blizzard made all the spell weapons main hand only the last time it looked like duel wield resto might be an option.

An offhand melee weapon. You look for 1 with high haste/crit and/or as many gem slots as possible. Remember you can also enchant it with spellpower and use earthliving on it for extra procs. At 1 point in this expansion dual wielding was almost considered viable with non-sp weapons and that was when you lost out on tons of decent healing talents to do it, with the Cataclysm trees you can reach dual wielding without losing any healing power other than the very questionable shock talents.

Basically you'll probably end up trading some regen/haste/crit for extra spellpower and earthliving procs.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...1&pageNo=16

We're simultaneously working on a "war games" mode for battlegrounds that allows groups to challenge other groups to a battle in a specific battleground (including horde vs horde and alliance vs alliance). Granted, the rewards aren't significant, but it's more for players to be able to have fun battling their guildmates and friends or for players on a server to throw down for the sake of pride and bragging rights.

yesssssssssssssssssss

Greater Healing Wave is just the Healing Wave we have now with a new name. Healing Wave is the name of a new spell they're giving Shaman that's bigger than LHW but not as big as GHW. I think they've already confirmed the same with priests and their 'Heal' spell.

The way they've said that the heals will work is that the lesser/flash "quick" heals will heal for around the same amount as the base efficient heal, just significantly faster and at a substantial mana penalty. The "big" heals will heal for substantially more, but with a much longer cast time and middling efficiency.

So fast heal: highest HPS, worst HPM, useful primarily for getting people who've been spiked dangerously low up to a stable state as quickly as possible.

middle heal: highest HPM, worst HPS, bread and butter heal used for most situations.

big heal: middling HPM, middling HPS, useful for when you need higher sustained HPS than you can get with the efficient heal, but without blowing out your mana completely like the fast heal would. Not much use in pvp or any other situation where you have to respond to sudden unpredictable spikes due to the cast time. Will probably end up being the standard tank heal later in the expansion once healers have the regen to support it and the tanks are taking enough damage that it's needed.

At least, that's the theory. No doubt the players will do their damnedest to break it once it goes live.

Path of the Titans is gone

The whole Path of the Titans idea has been removed from the game. It will no longer rely on Archeology or on any kind of PvE/PvP progression and instead Blizzard will just introduce a new type of glyphs: Medium Glyphs.

Medium Glyphs will add a "fun factor" to abilities, and it wouldn't be surprising to see something similar to the Fortification or Breakthrough glyphs first previewed during Blizzcon 2009. (But probably not these exact glyphs, a lot of stuff happened since last year)

Guild Talents are gone

The guild talents are gone and your guild now gets extra bonuses depending on its level. There are 25 levels and each level will automatically reward with more cool stuff. The leveling process remains unchanged and your guild will gain experience through PvP, Dungeon and Raid progression, questing, etc ...

Guild currency has also been removed and rewards will just be "unlocked" after you reach a specific level or complete a guild achievement. Once a reward is unlocked, members will be able to purchase it with gold. Some of the rewards include guild tabards, mounts, heirlooms, and it looks like you will finally be able to have a guild tabard on your mount. (Just like the Argent Tournament banners)

New members of a guild won't be able to buy everything directly, they will have to contribute to the progression of the guild before they can access the top rewards. Each time a player helps towards the leveling he will gain reputation with the guild, the best rewards will require players to be exalted with their guild before they can buy it.

Archeology will be less important

With the Path of the Titans gone, Archeology will become a "true" secondary profession and you won't really have to level it anymore. However it will still be used to let you get cosmetic/optional items, get more information on the game's lore, and ultimately it looks like we can expect rewards similar to fishing. (Nothing mandatory, but you'll be happy when you actually find something)

Information gathered from other sites:

• [*]You will find two types of items: Common Artifacts will give you more information on the lore of a race, and might be used in some kind of collection game. Rare items will give you usable items, most of them will be cosmetic but some of them will have actual effects. (Details on Wowhead)

I was never really sure how path of the titans was going to work anyway, and having to level another profession just to improve your characters sounded like a right ballache to be honest. I'm glad its being merged into the glyph system instead, glyphs need improving and making more interesting. Currently you just look up whats best and thats that, there isnt really a lot of choice, most specs have 2 or 3 that are "musts" with 1 optional one if you're lucky thats usually rubbish. And some of the possible changes they've mentioned sound ace, like you "learning" the glyph so you can swap the ones you know whenever. I'm sure the people who sell glyphs a lot wont like that bit though!

The guild changes make sense as well, I could imagine talents being a lot of hassle with arguements over what was picked and who picked them.

Sounds to me that they are already scratching stuff from the list to avoid an even bigger delay of the Cata release <_<

E:

Heroic Deadmines / Shadowfang Keep

Heroic versions of classic instances might not be ready for the release of Cataclysm and will be shipped in content patch instead.

To be honest Heroic vanilla instances is nothing but a fan-service. It is nice for the people who actually remember vanilla WoW but nothing to spend too much development resources on in my opinion.

I dig the new glyph system where you learn bought glyphs as a talent.

You'd think Blizzard don't make millions to actually fully develop these features they promise. Spend some of that money you cheap fucks.

Money has nothing to do with it. If an idea does not work out, you scrap it. Money does not make ideas automatically work.

Personaly I find it kind of depressing, I thought path of the titans sounded great fun. Was looking forward to mixing it with archeology and going out at level 85 to specialize in one area.

Also always having glyphs you have learnt just destroyed the glyph market, next all gems you buy once you will always have, same with enchants!

J

It doesn't really bother me because I'm only keeping informed for story developments (what's lurking underneath Heroic Cho'gall then, that sounds pretty ominous!), classes and gameplay changes obviously no longer hold any revelance for me. That said, given what happened with the dance studios and now the scrapping of Path of the Titans and guild talents, it does seem rather lame given how much these features were publicised at various events beforehand.

Thinking about it more, I guess it'll work out for the best. Another grind would been a bit too much, and there is something appealing about wandering the land, piecing together bits of history, something separate from raiding.

Archaeology: Profession in 'Reading books' lmao

It does sound like its just going to be this, but we can only wait and see. Was actually thinking the Archaeology system of levelling sounded ok to be honest. Ho hum.

It doesn't really bother me because I'm only keeping informed for story developments (what's lurking underneath Heroic Cho'gall then, that sounds pretty ominous!), classes and gameplay changes obviously no longer hold any revelance for me. That said, given what happened with the dance studios and now the scrapping of Path of the Titans and guild talents, it does seem rather lame given how much these features were publicised at various events beforehand.

Did they scrap the dance studio now as well then? That'll be a kick in the nuts for a lot of fans I'd imagine if it has been scrapped.

Thinking about it more, I guess it'll work out for the best. Another grind would been a bit too much, and there is something appealing about wandering the land, piecing together bits of history, something separate from raiding.

Untill they put several in raid instances forcing people to do them just to get those bits of history. That will suck, but its Blizzard, they want people to raid, so push them to in various ways.

I had to laugh at the grind rep with your guild thing. Lets say everyone starts at Hated and you get a point for every blowjob you give. If you don't make Exalted in 3 months, you're kicked.

Yeah, that made me laugh, especially for those in the guild I was in untill recently. Dont think many will pay gold for that stuff there, unless forced to by the GM :)

Honorbound on the other hand is the complete oppositte, looks like they'll be fine, although whether they'll get everything to level up (if its based on achievements) is another matter.

All these recently announced cuts stink of a software development project in trouble in my opinion. They've already taken far longer than is acceptable to the majority of the player base I'd wager, and now I suppose they're chopping stuff out as their corporate lords and masters start moaning about declining subscription numbers. I resubbed for a month a few weeks back to clear out my bank and get some gold ready for cataclysm, but at this rate I'm not sure it was worth it.

That's a bit much, isn't it? They're rebuilding two entire continents, I'll happily take the loss of Path of the Titans to make sure the game's actually out this side of 2011. And they've said that they'll probably end up putting the idea into the game later anyway. And the guild level/perk thing sounds better now because a talent system would just end up with the same cookie cutter build thing that they're trying to get away from.

To be fair the whole thing with Cataclysm levelling was about the Archaeology system. Without it, its just another 5 levels. Nothing amazing really. The new continents, the quests therein and the raiding content is all thats left. Think about it a minute. Whats new about the actual game? Its just more of the same, but only 5 levels, instead of 10. So if theyre removing something that made your characters unique, and more powerful due to the lack of 5 more levels, how else will characters become unique, and more powerful, now that the system has gone from mandatory to something fun? :lol:

Now I'm sure the quests and the new areas will be good, I'm not saying those wont be. Its just starting to seem like things have been cut because they dont have time; the patching of heroic instances in later is telling of that. I wouldnt be suprised if more things get patched in later the closer we get to the release (whenever that is, seems odd cutting things when there hasnt been one announced either).

The guild thing I can understand. The Archaeology change I do not seeing as it was so bigged up, and made to be the new way of increasing your characters abilities/power, besides actually levelling.

Were you complaining at vanilla's release about Northrend being cut too? :P They always have more plans than they have time to implement and it's not just a case of throwing money at it.

Really, is 10 levels actually more fun and unique than 5??? you must be mad. All I remember hearing about when wrath hit was how much of a chore it was to be levelling again and how people couldn't wait to be max level. The only real reason why they need to make you level at all is for NPC level mechanics and instance requirements or we could all still be level 60 and it wouldn't have made any difference to the game at all. The majority of Northrend i've quested through has been while at max level and thats how i'd rather do it really in between raiding and things.

As for path of the titans it really doesn't surprise me. All it would have ended up being is another talent tree. Inscription has been bad (boring) enough as it is and is just another kind of talent tree without them adding more of the same. Really it was just another attempt at the hero class thing and they've said numerous times why they think that wouldn't work.

Were you complaining at vanilla's release about Northrend being cut too? :hat: They always have more plans than they have time to implement and it's not just a case of throwing money at it.

Really, is 10 levels actually more fun and unique than 5??? you must be mad. All I remember hearing about when wrath hit was how much of a chore it was to be levelling again and how people couldn't wait to be max level. The only real reason why they need to make you level at all is for NPC level mechanics and instance requirements or we could all still be level 60 and it wouldn't have made any difference to the game at all. The majority of Northrend i've quested through has been while at max level and thats how i'd rather do it really in between raiding and things.

As for path of the titans it really doesn't surprise me. All it would have ended up being is another talent tree. Inscription has been bad (boring) enough as it is and is just another kind of talent tree without them adding more of the same. Really it was just another attempt at the hero class thing and they've said numerous times why they think that wouldn't work.

Well they didnt really cut something game changing from WotLK did they? They didnt big something new up and then cut it at least as far as I recall, did they? :P

Also they've just gone and added more glyphs instead of it, which seems a bit of a lazy cop out to me, especially as half the glyphs out there are barely used as is.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll all* lap it up regardless. Thats if I even buy the expansion considering how much I play now.

*Other than Ulala who's quit that is.

I'm pretty sure if The Old Republic was released before Cataclysm I wouldn't even bother but alas :P

Was thinking that, but still want to know more about how the game works in regards to other players first. I dont want another raid based mmo tbh. Small parties are where the funs at.

Don't know how we all missed this, but apparently Caverns of Time isn't being ignored in Cataclysm and we will be taking part in a 'War of the Ancients' raid. For those not in the know: the war of the ancients was essentially when the highborn got the attention of Sargeras, leader of the Burning Legion, when they dicked about with magic too much. This then caused a huge war that ended up with the destruction of the Well of Eternity, causing the sundering, which split the super continent of Kalimdor in two, creating the two continents we now have of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms and creating the Maelstrom, that big whirlpool looking thing in the middle of the map.

Malfurion Stormrage, Tyrande Whisperwind, Illidan Stormrage, Jarod Shadowsong, Korialstrasz, Queen Azshara, Mannoroth, and Archimonde were major players in the War.

They didnt big something new up and then cut it at least as far as I recall, did they? :P

Back in vanilla they didn't give out info about what was in development like they do now so i'm sure they had plenty of ideas that never made it live we just weren't as informed as we are now.

It's great they are trying lots of different ideas out, and it's inevitable that some will work out and some won't. We are talking about a expansion that hasn't left alpha yet after all. I'd much rather they keep us in the loop as they do now than leave us in the dark until stuff hits the PTR.