World of Warcraft Cataclysm

Sergeant Squid

Two Gameplanet interviews (Servers currently fucked from the MMO Champion effect):

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/15970...s-in-Cataclysm/

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/15970...ning-Cataclysm/

The info:

TLDR Notes:

-GC expands on why Path of the Titans is gone

-reduce reliance on third-party websites, eg list class glyphs ingame instead of needing to go to wowhead/thottbot

-medium glyphs affect spells you don't use all the time, but are a damage or healing increase (not like minor glyphs)

-Glyph UI has changed a lot.

-going to focus inscription on more of the non-glyph aspect of the trade skill. So, Darkmoon Faire cards, trinkets, offhand items, things like that.

-for example, a 25 will get more badges per player than a 10, and at the heroic level, they’ll get more token pieces (sounds like 10/25 drop same number of tier pieces in normal?)

BIG REFORGING INFO on page 3:

-done by NPCs in cities

-can't do it with str/stam/int/spirit, only the secondary stats like hit, crit, haste, parry, dodge, things like that.

-reduce one stat by 40%, put those points into a different stat.

-cost of that transaction is the vendor cost of the item. can be done with greens to purples.

and the second interview:

-small phasing in some of the old starting zones

-lots of phasing only moves the player + a few mobs, making it a bit more cinematic

-Exodar has a direct port to/from Stormwind

-worgen district in darnassus:these buildings that look like they’re built out of trees but they’re Worgen-style, so they’re dark and spooky – they fit the Gilneas style.

-old Pre-BC Raids will have guild ‘Classic Raid’ achievements associated with them. gives you something to do as a guild.

-Westfall has about 95% changed, almost every questchain is replaced (NOT NDA BREAKING, IT'S IN THE ARTICLE)

-targeting patch 4.1 for SFK + Deadmines heroic

-no changes to outland as a levelling continent, but they'll be watching players transition through it.

-we’re definitely going to do something with CoT in Cataclysm, a dungeon or a raid will be available in the patch content, somewhere between [patches] 4.1 and 4.3.

-there will be vehicles in raids, but they've learnt a lot since Uld/Malygos

-Cataclysm launch event will be absolutely spectacular. expect the last few days to be utter chaos (hints at Elemental Invasion of azeroth, possibly even major cities)

Doesn't sound like cause for alarm!

I think that Cataclysm will be more of the same, but that's fine because if I wanted the game to be massively different, I would play something else.

The stuff they've announced sounds great and I am really looking forward to it, personally. I'm glad Archaelogy isn't mandatory now and has instead become another secondary skill I won't bother to level.

I think that Cataclysm will be more of the same, but that's fine because if I wanted the game to be massively different, I would play something else.

The stuff they've announced sounds great and I am really looking forward to it, personally. I'm glad Archaelogy isn't mandatory now and has instead become another secondary skill I won't bother to level.

Agree with this. And though I loved the Path of the Titans idea, if they cant get it to work properly, then they should boot it out. Otherwise everyone will just whine when it comes out about what a shit idea it was, how it's made one class far more imba than the others or why did they bother when everyone picks the same path blah blah blah.

I like the fact that Blizz shares it's ideas and is not afraid to boot stuff if they are not happy with it.

Also they've just gone and added more glyphs instead of it, which seems a bit of a lazy cop out to me, especially as half the glyphs out there are barely used as is.

Given the changes to the glyph system (where you "learn" a glyph and can swap any you've learned freely at will), i can see a lot of the more borderline/situational ones getting used occasionally, when they're appropriate and useful. I mean, i'd love to be able to swap my SoV glyph for SoC for Valithria heroic (fuck those manaburning frostbolt volleys and the "oh look, all your mana is gone instantly" void zones), but i'm not going to keep stacks of them both around constantly for one fight a week.

Especially with the new "medium" glyphs, which they seem to be talking about being mostly secondary/situational things to begin with.

Given the changes to the glyph system (where you "learn" a glyph and can swap any you've learned freely at will), i can see a lot of the more borderline/situational ones getting used occasionally, when they're appropriate and useful. I mean, i'd love to be able to swap my SoV glyph for SoC for Valithria heroic (fuck those manaburning frostbolt volleys and the "oh look, all your mana is gone instantly" void zones), but i'm not going to keep stacks of them both around constantly for one fight a week.

Especially with the new "medium" glyphs, which they seem to be talking about being mostly secondary/situational things to begin with.

If thats how glyphs will work then yeah thats a good change.

Also they do seem to be keeping rewards for Archaeology according to what I read; pets, mounts and *weapons* apparently. I thought it was going to be like cooking, ok but not amazing, but if you can get weapons and stuff then yeah sure, still seems to be good stuff.

Don't know how we all missed this, but apparently Caverns of Time isn't being ignored in Cataclysm and we will be taking part in a 'War of the Ancients' raid. For those not in the know: the war of the ancients was essentially when the highborn got the attention of Sargeras, leader of the Burning Legion, when they dicked about with magic too much. This then caused a huge war that ended up with the destruction of the Well of Eternity, causing the sundering, which split the super continent of Kalimdor in two, creating the two continents we now have of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms and creating the Maelstrom, that big whirlpool looking thing in the middle of the map.

Malfurion Stormrage, Tyrande Whisperwind, Illidan Stormrage, Jarod Shadowsong, Korialstrasz, Queen Azshara, Mannoroth, and Archimonde were major players in the War.

:facepalm:

I have read the War Of The Ancients trilogy, there is some great ideas in those that could translate well in to the game. This is the best news so far for me personally.

<3 lore!

Don't know how we all missed this, but apparently Caverns of Time isn't being ignored in Cataclysm and we will be taking part in a 'War of the Ancients' raid. For those not in the know: the war of the ancients was essentially when the highborn got the attention of Sargeras, leader of the Burning Legion, when they dicked about with magic too much. This then caused a huge war that ended up with the destruction of the Well of Eternity, causing the sundering, which split the super continent of Kalimdor in two, creating the two continents we now have of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms and creating the Maelstrom, that big whirlpool looking thing in the middle of the map.

Malfurion Stormrage, Tyrande Whisperwind, Illidan Stormrage, Jarod Shadowsong, Korialstrasz, Queen Azshara, Mannoroth, and Archimonde were major players in the War.

You're forgetting Broxigar. How could you!

Blizz have got much better at the lore side of things. Sure, they've crowbarred stuff in here and there (space goats ftw), but overall you can tell they've improved. Last night we did a run of AQ20 and 40 for a laugh and someone asked what ever happened to all this stuff - the person in question had joined in WOTLK and had no clue about what AQ20/40 were for, knew nothing of the war effort involved to open it etc and its mainly because, with TBC, Blizz were all about the spacelolz. However, stuff from TBC has carried over into WOTLK, making the transition a bit more streamlined and subtle.

I read somewhere (here? Think Jack mentioned it) that Cataclysm takes place 10 years after WOTLK - are Blizz going to explain this in the Cata cinematic or just kinda ignore it to the point where only lore nerds know about it, or it's mentioned briefly in some quest text somewhere? Be interesting to see how they deal with this. Perhaps a similar blurb at the start of the Cata cinematic to that of the original games 'TEN YEARS....' etc to explain it and cement it in everyone's mind ('I've been wearing T10 for 10 years? n00b!').

The world events they've done so far leading up to each expansion have been fun to participate in (particularly the Scourge invasion prior to WOTLK where Muk became the most hated guild on the server briefly because we fought off wave after wave of player zombies and 'spoiled their fun') and Blizz have stated that the Cata launch event is going to be amazingly epic and last for days. I'm guessing similar to what other's have suggested: elemental invasion! Stormwind torn to shit! Orgrimmar placed under martial law! Real epic, crazy stuff.

Can't wait :facepalm:

You're forgetting Broxigar. How could you!

I just copied that last bit from wowwiki. :facepalm:

Brox is a LEGEND.

Single-handedly taking on the might of the Burning Legion and killing so many he had to literally stand on a mountain of their corpses before shouting 'COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD ENOUGH!' to Sargeras himself...

LEGEND.

That is true. Neltharion the Earth Warder, driven mad by the Old Gods (C'Thun, Yogg Saron etc) went batshit mental, changed his name to Deathwing the Destroyer and basically fucked shit up to the point where people were scared to even mention his name. He also captured Alexstraza and used her as a sex slave, raping her repeatedly to try and bolster the numbers in the Black Dragonflight, which explains why she is so grumpy all the time.

That is true. Neltharion the Earth Warder, driven mad by the Old Gods (C'Thun, Yogg Saron etc) went batshit mental, changed his name to Deathwing the Destroyer and basically fucked shit up to the point where people were scared to even mention his name. He also captured Alexstraza and used her as a sex slave, raping her repeatedly to try and bolster the numbers in the Black Dragonflight, which explains why she is so grumpy all the time.

Yeah, but at least Deathwing has taste, she's Totty Mchotty in humanoid form <_<

So basically there will be no real incentive (gear-wise at least) to run 25 man raids.

There are rewards like badges/gold for the additional coordination involved, but we are trying to avoid having gear be the reason that one style is better than the other.

Seems that will be the case with legendaries as well. Them lucky casters will get less competition than previous legendaries then.

Blizz have got much better at the lore side of things. Sure, they've crowbarred stuff in here and there (space goats ftw), but overall you can tell they've improved. Last night we did a run of AQ20 and 40 for a laugh and someone asked what ever happened to all this stuff - the person in question had joined in WOTLK and had no clue about what AQ20/40 were for, knew nothing of the war effort involved to open it etc and its mainly because, with TBC, Blizz were all about the spacelolz. However, stuff from TBC has carried over into WOTLK, making the transition a bit more streamlined and subtle.

:(

Yeah - it seems odd that there's all this massive stuff I've never seen/known about, or seen any after effects from.

Not many. Most only want "Phat Epixx!!!111" or "AchievementZzzzzzzzz", and dont give a shit about any the story, just what they can get to make them pew pew for bigger numbers and showoff something new that other people havent got (Like I did on my icc25 mount just to rub Praeter Sepulchrum up the wrong way).

New build! And it's chock full of new model goodness.

Deathwing's humanoid form:

cN03Q.jpg

Troll Druid bear form:

LqbIi.jpg

Skywall Drake (lots of shiny lightning/particle effects on this one):

JclBc.jpg

Uldum watchers:

lawkJ.jpg

Ashkandi, 2010 edition:

hwkqW.jpg

Skeletal Raptor... mount!:

Xgjhr.png