World of Warcraft Cataclysm

Sergeant Squid

Tbh I think the Goblins look all kinds of awesome. That comedy stealth animation is guaranteed to crack me up every time I see it.

It's at the point where I'm seriously considering race changing everything I have to Goblins.

I don't want a joker as a character, I want someone with character.

Not a long armed, short legged, green ponce.

Maybe I'll come round to them. I doubt it though.

I'll definitely be back for Cata' though as there's going to be no way of knowing the outcome of what PvP is going to end up like. Hopefully they will get it right this time.

I was tempted to come back and play either my Warrior, Warlock, Shaman or Hunter who were all 70's for PvP.

But after a complete format of all WoW files (other than addons for reference :)). I just can't be bothered.

Don't even need to change discs at all, just use the Lich King disc to install the whole game to 3.0, then wait for about 2GB of cumulative patches to roll down the pipe and auto install.

Cata profession preview is up;

While the Cataclysm updates to many of the professions are still deep in development, we wanted to share some of the work that's been going on, as well as a high-level look at any lessons learned or changes to their underlying philosophies during the design process. Please be aware that not all professions have the same extent of information available right now, but each is receiving the same love and attention as the next.

Take heed of these teasers as you look forward to your new rank of Illustrious Grand Master!

Please enjoy!

General

* Perks will continue to exist across all professions, and will upgraded appropriately.

Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, and Tailoring

* Many of the green (and possibly some blue) items made during the process of leveling these professions will contain random stats. In most examples, two stats on these items will be set, and two will be random. The idea with these items is to mix up the skill leveling items so you're not just, for example, creating 10 pairs of boots that are all exactly the same.

* Superior-quality items that require more materials than other recipes in the same skill range provide multiple skill-ups. For example, if a recipe takes three times the reagents, it will give you three skill-ups.

* We didn't feel like we were getting much flexibility from specializations, so they have been removed for all three of these professions. The intent was to help people diversify their profession to feel different from that of other players, but through other professions we've found systems that work better to this end, such as simply making recipes available that you can earn over time.

* To follow up the previous change, all items that required a specialization are now useable by anyone.

* Tailoring the high-end Cataclysm items will center around a single cloth type that can be crafted through five different recipes -- each with their own material components and a long cooldown.

* All three professions will create their starter sets of PVP gear, which will be upgraded with new recipes every season. In general, these are meant to keep pace as an entry-level PvP set below whatever the current Hero Point set is.

Alchemy

* New elixirs will be about 75% as strong as flasks. So you can get more total stat points with two elixirs, but flasks will still be the best at giving you a single offensive or defensive stat.

* New unique material used by nearly all high-level recipes will be created by alchemists on a one-day cooldown.

* New Mysterious Potion created with common materials restores health and mana in a massively random range, as well as sometimes granting the benefit of another potion. The health and mana range is from 1-20,000 and is able to crit. The minimum amount restored, however, is scaled upwards by the Alchemy skill, making it a great choice for alchemists to keep for themselves.

* All potions and elixirs now use the same basic vial type. Flasks still use a fancy vial.

* New Alchemist Stone.

Enchanting

In general, material component costs for most recipes are more moderate in how much they require, while the highest-end recipes will still require large quantities. The goal of this change is to make the leveling recipes more consistent and not create unintended roadblocks in getting to the higher skill levels.

An enchanter vanity pet is being added.

New Cataclysm weapon enchantment preview:

* Avalanche -- Chance to deal Nature damage on melee hit/spell hit.

* Elemental Slayer -- As expected, this enchantment helps players deal devastating damage to elemental creatures.

* Hurricane -- A stacking haste proc.

* Heartsong -- Mana regeneration through increased Spirit when chain-casting spells.

* Many more maximum-level enchantments are still in progress.

Engineering

* Engineering is still being designed, but expect new unpredictable gadgets to use on yourself or enemies. Toys, explosives, and even a new vanity pet or two. Oh, and powerful mechanical bows and crossbows in addition to guns.

* In general, we want Engineering to remain a tradeskill mainly focused on creating fun or useful gadgets for the engineer, but we are exploring options for items that can be sold to other players for profit.

* With the large number of class changes coming with Cataclysm, many existing glyphs will see new functionality.

* Minor glyphs are woefully uneven from one class to the next right now, so they're a focus for us to clean them up and try to ensure that everyone has minor glyphs they're excited about.

* New Darkmoon Cards will be added, with hopes they'll all be as awesome as the Greatness card.

* We'll be adding more major glyphs as well, but in the hopes of making them as balanced as possible, we'll likely wait until after the expansion ships to add any for the new abilities in Cataclysm.

* New and more desirable off-hand and relic recipes will be added.

Jewelcrafting

* Some gem colors have changed! Hit is now blue. Mastery and Dodge are yellow. Intellect is now red. These simple changes have created a much more diverse matrix of gem cuts.

* New Jewelcrafting dailies will be introduced.

* Many cuts are being added to support the new Mastery stat.

* Some new Cataclysm jewelry recipes have completely random properties, and can sometimes create superior and epic versions.

* Jewelcrafters will have some fun new (and potentially lucrative) vanity items, including fist weapons, rhinestone sunglasses, monocles, and stardust (sprinkle on players for entertainment).

Herbalism, Skinning, and Mining

* All Cataclysm herbs have the chance of containing Volatile Life.

* There won't be a new Lotus equivalent in Cataclysm. Alchemists will use the more reliably-found Volatile Life to create the new high level flasks.

Herb Example:

* "Heartblossom -- Named for its deep red color, this delicate flower grows close to the ground, and always in pairs. If one blossom is taken, the other flower begins to wilt immediately and dies soon after. It is considered very unlucky to disturb a Heartblossom without blessing it first."

* Savage Leather, the basic Cataclysm leather, can be gathered from most creatures found in the expansion areas and can be converted to Heavy Savage Leather at a 6:1 rate.

* Pristine Hide, the rare Cataclysm hide, can be found when skinning creatures in the expansion areas, or be converted from Heavy Savage Leather.

* Obsidian is the new common mineral found when mining in Cataclysm, and can contain gems, Volatile Fire, and Volatile Shadow.

* Elementium is the new uncommon mineral found when mining in Cataclysm, and can contain gems, Volatile Fire, Volatile Water, or Volatile Earth.

* Pyrite is the new rare mineral found when mining in Cataclysm, and can contain gems and Volatile Fire.

* Previous Elementium Ore and Bar used for classic quests will be renamed to Elementium Ingot and Hardened Elementium Bar.

* We like the gathering perks as they are; not a game-changing bonus but something themed and fun. But as all tradeskills are in the design stages these are still being discussed to a degree.

Cooking

* Cooking is still in the early stages, but we plan on continuing with daily quests, feasts, and some fun new recipes.

* We liked the cooking dailies that had players picking up items that spawned in the world near the quest giver, so most if not all new cooking dailies will work similarly.

First Aid

* Bandages will have a short cast time and put a heal over time effect on the target for 8 seconds. This effect is broken by damage.

* Three new bandages! That's right: THREE!

Bandage preview:

* "Dense Embersilk Bandage" Heals for 34,800 over 8 seconds. Requires 3 Embersilk to create.

Fishing

* Lots of new fish and other fun items to catch! Fish are still used to make premium food.

* New fishing dailies.

More skill ups for higher quality items is cool. It always annoyed me spending loads of mats on something for 1 skill up, even if it was something i could use/sell. Cooking and fishing dailies need to stay, I enjoy them for some reason. The new darkmoon card just needs to be similar to the current ones but with more stats to be sought after. Still ace trinkets despite their ilevel. Nice that the rare leather (the equivelant of arctic fur now I assume) will obtainable by using up heavy leather to make them. I often just buy arctic furs if i need them because grinding them can take ages if I get some bad luck. I once spent 3 days with about an hour or 2 each day just grinding leather and didnt get one. I'm guessing the haste/ap enchants that were datamined but seemed worse than current ones should be stacking ones instead. Interesting. I hope engineering gets more cool stuff. My engineer at the moment only really still has it for the ammo and for the flying maching. I do love the flying machine though. Another engineer only mount would be ace.

Ahaha. So, if these values are in any way accurate, the stat distribution we've seen so far is in fact correct and not artificially inflated for testing. LK heroic weapons replaced by 81 quest greens. Jesus.

Hahahahaha so glad I quit raiding when I did, got all the hard mode achievements I wanted done too. Perfect.

Ahaha. So, if these values are in any way accurate, the stat distribution we've seen so far is in fact correct and not artificially inflated for testing. LK heroic weapons replaced by 81 quest greens. Jesus.

That 1300+ stamina cloak is still clearly a bug. But yeah, looks like we're going to see 50-60k or thereabouts being a reasonable hp baseline for someone in level 85 quest blues.

But eh, whether it's replaced by 81 greens or 85 blues, it'll be gone within a week of the expansion hitting anyway.

If you're raiding for loot at this stage in the game, you need your head examined.

It was still relatively common for people to be hitting Naxx and Sarth in Sunwell gear though, and again back in TBC, AQ40/Naxx gear could take you to 70 or close enough. You'll probably still be wearing a 277 belt, trinket and a ring (or something to that effect) at 85. These figures are insane though. A 35k heal bandage!?

I know that in the current state of the game bandages are almost worthless, but just to put it in perspective. My paladin has 60k HP raid buffed, my hunter has 30k unbuffed in full PVP gear. Even my rogue has 25k unbuffed in PVP gear. A Heavy Frostweave heals for 5800. There are not enough :OMG:s in the world to convey how I feel about this. Good thing ICC gear looks like trash I suppose, there'll be no regrets banking it.

Cata is a crazy new world, and I'm excited.

I reckon the massive profits Blizzard made on the Celestial Horsey will be dwarfed compared to how much they will make on character customisations when Cataclysm arrives.

Cataclysm itself is only about 18 quid online and a character change is almost that (15?)

I can't find/justify time to play at the moment, haven't been on in over a month.

I know that in the current state of the game bandages are almost worthless, but just to put it in perspective. My paladin has 60k HP raid buffed, my hunter has 30k unbuffed in full PVP gear. Even my rogue has 25k unbuffed in PVP gear. A Heavy Frostweave heals for 5800. There are not enough :OMG:s in the world to convey how I feel about this. Good thing ICC gear looks like trash I suppose, there'll be no regrets banking it.

We'll probably be able to get a bit more mileage out of raid gear (at least for non-tanks) simply due to all the gem slots - entry-level gear will most likely be fairly low on them, and fully-gemming Wrath raid gear with even green-quality Cata gems (or blues if you're willing to pay out the nose) will provide a pretty massive stat boost (just look at how long the early TBC socketed levelling blues can last if you stick Wrath gems in them).

I think i saw datamined gem stats on SA a few days ago, and they were what, 50 stats apiece (75 for stam)? Something like that, anyway. Even if that's the blues, the green quality ones are still going to be closer to them than current epics, which is going to be a massive upgrade (i think i have something like 20-odd sockets in my mostly-251 gear right now, so that's another 600+ stat points).

It was still relatively common for people to be hitting Naxx and Sarth in Sunwell gear though, and again back in TBC, AQ40/Naxx gear could take you to 70 or close enough. You'll probably still be wearing a 277 belt, trinket and a ring (or something to that effect) at 85. These figures are insane though. A 35k heal bandage!?

All current gear is going to get more stamina as well though. Thats one of the reasons bears stamina modifers are going to be lessened, because their gear is going to have more anyway compared to now. Remember they've still got to go through EVERY bit of old gear to make it fit the new system. They've said in the past they dont want to make the gear gap as big as they did when it changed from Azeroth to Outland in BC (which lets face it was massive - you were stupid not to go straight to outland to do the first sets of quests just because the upgrades were so ace). They got it about right with WotLK. I still had some of my 70 gear on at 80. I think they'll aim for that this time too.

I think the opposite. Even in wrath they've been happy to reset gear levels massively. Why would they want you to be using your 80 gear at 85? I think it'll be more like TBC than wrath.

In WotLK it was generally the fact that people's Sunwell gear was fully gemmed and enchanted that made it so durable. Had it not been for those enhancements it probably wouldn't have been superior to most pre-Naxx gear.

I think the opposite. Even in wrath they've been happy to reset gear levels massively. Why would they want you to be using your 80 gear at 85? I think it'll be more like TBC than wrath.

See, the only character I leveled from 70 in BC gear to 80 was my hunter, and I didnt replace that much till I got to 80, when admitedly it got replaced pretty quickly. I didnt replace it at 80 so much as not replace while levelling if that makes sense? Certainly the last couple of levels anyway, when crafted items were available that were better. I'm sure they have said they want to avoid the massive gear reset in BC as well, and were happier with how WotLK went in that respect. As was I. I liked that my longest played character didnt change most their gear, but the ones I leveled since didnt feel hindered by not having epics from BC.

The problem they have is that the gear difference is so huge between what a fresh dinged 80 and a ICC raiding toon will be. I assume they'll aim to balance/gear around the lower end of epics for the starter high level bits of cata, if only so that at that level neither sets of content become trivial. Whereas someone in ICC gear will probably only upgrade from craftables or dungeon drops before they hit 80. I dont see a problem with this if they do, it'll make getting that higher level gear seem more worthwhile if you dont upgrade for a while.

So apparently Blizzard forgot to lock the alpha forums to alpha-enabled accounts.

Which has let the following leak out (warning, MASSIVE spoilers, read at your own risk):

-The flashback you get from Vol'jin actually takes place right after Thrall left. It's been awhile since then.

-Immediately after Garrosh took offense to Vol'jin's comments and kicked the trolls back to the echo islands to "cool down," Cairne started traveling to Orgrimmar.

-When he arrives he says that Garrosh could be a great leader if tempered, but for now he is not ready. Then Cairne challenges him to a nonlethal duel for leadership of the horde.

-Garrosh really likes and respects Cairne and doesn't want to fight him, but feels obligated as he believes the horde needs the fury of a Hellscream.

-They fight. Garrosh is actually doing his best not to injure the old cow. Unfortunately we later find out that Magatha has been poisoning Cairne for either weeks or months, and it really starts showing.

-Right as Garrosh is aiming a disarming swing to end the fight, Cairne stumbles or collapses and catches the axe right in the chest, dying instantly. He may have been dead from the poison before the axe even hit.

-Garrosh freaks the fuck out and has a breakdown over the event and locks himself alone in the throne room. In the meantime Magatha takes over Thunder Bluff and the Grimtotem go all fascist state.

-Sometime later Garrosh emerges a lot more calm, leads a raid to put TB back in the hands of Baine, and basically starts acting like Saurfang with a mean streak instead of a psychopathic whiner.

There's also apparently some quest where an overzealous orc commander nukes a neutral druid base, that could be the bomb picture that leaked. It kills women and children. Garrosh rides up sometime later, quietly makes a statement like "a great warrior once told me that the horde began to fail when it lost all sense of mercy for the innocent, that will not happen again" and breaks the guy's neck before lobbing him off a cliff.

and some alpha forum feedback about the questline mentioned above:

The Cliffwalker post quests, this chain is awesome! I'm trying not to spoil too much, but lets say that thank you for making Garrosh man up! The first quest was still normal stuff, killing alliance soldiers and all. Right after that the turn the quests took made me actually think that how I sometimes hate being part of Horde, with the next quests making me feel even more repulsed of my faction. And then you go and make the most unlikely character in Horde show us what the Horde really is about. Woah, just woah..

Also, Alliance politics!

-The people of stormwind fucking hate Wrynn right now. They think that he deliberately taunted Deathwing out of hiding with Onyxia's head. Most of them believe that he's a bloodthirsty moron.

-Most of the shit really goes down in Ironforge though. I don't have nearly as many details as on the horde version, but Magni is afraid that earthquakes are going to destroy the city. He decides he's going to open up Old Ironforge and try to commune with the earth spirits there, despite a Wildhammer shaman envoy telling him that he won't be able to handle it. He botches the ritual and ends up permanently turned to stone.

-Moira returns. With dark iron heir in tow, and all the dark irons that escaped Blackrock. Wildhammers also converge on the city fearing a half dark iron on the throne. Massive, massive civil war in the streets. Wrynn leads some adventurers in and kills Moira and sets up a council of leaders with one from each clan to hold power until her child grows up. The dwarves agree to this, but they and the gnomes are fucking enraged at Wrynn for meddling in the affairs of another kingdom like that, paranoid that he's going to turn into a tyrant.

-Basically everyone hates Wrynn. Dwarves and gnomes are fearful of him not respecting boundries. Humans think that while he worked in Northrend he'll never make a good standing king. Genn Graymane tells him that he acts like an orc. It's some pretty intense political shit compared to the horde, where people are like "well, Garrosh admits he was an idiot and is manning up, plus he's winning us shitloads of territory, so he's cool."

Non-spoilery summary: Garrosh looks like he might live up to his name after all, Wrynn is a dick.

So apparently Blizzard forgot to lock the alpha forums to alpha-enabled accounts.

Which has let the following leak out (warning, MASSIVE spoilers, read at your own risk):

Also, Alliance politics!

-The people of stormwind fucking hate Wrynn right now. They think that he deliberately taunted Deathwing out of hiding with Onyxia's head. Most of them believe that he's a bloodthirsty moron.

-Most of the shit really goes down in Ironforge though. I don't have nearly as many details as on the horde version, but Magni is afraid that earthquakes are going to destroy the city. He decides he's going to open up Old Ironforge and try to commune with the earth spirits there, despite a Wildhammer shaman envoy telling him that he won't be able to handle it. He botches the ritual and ends up permanently turned to stone.

-Moira returns. With dark iron heir in tow, and all the dark irons that escaped Blackrock. Wildhammers also converge on the city fearing a half dark iron on the throne. Massive, massive civil war in the streets. Wrynn leads some adventurers in and kills Moira and sets up a council of leaders with one from each clan to hold power until her child grows up. The dwarves agree to this, but they and the gnomes are fucking enraged at Wrynn for meddling in the affairs of another kingdom like that, paranoid that he's going to turn into a tyrant.

-Basically everyone hates Wrynn. Dwarves and gnomes are fearful of him not respecting boundries. Humans think that while he worked in Northrend he'll never make a good standing king. Genn Graymane tells him that he acts like an orc. It's some pretty intense political shit compared to the horde, where people are like "well, Garrosh admits he was an idiot and is manning up, plus he's winning us shitloads of territory, so he's cool."

Non-spoilery summary: Garrosh looks like he might live up to his name after all, Wrynn is a dick.

Oh, that Wrynn, how dare he try to stop a civil war among his subjects, what a tool

Oh, that Wrynn, how dare he try to stop a civil war among his subjects, what a tool

You've played Alliance human scum for so long you're even thinking like them. The sooner you all get converted into wolves with a penchant for snuff and opiates, the better.

You've played Alliance human scum for so long you're even thinking like them. The sooner you all get converted into wolves with a penchant for snuff and opiates, the better.

dude's the leader of the alliance, not just stormwind, do you think he really wants to have another civil war kicking off in ironforge considering the last one brought fucking ragnaros into their back garden