Worst console you ever owned

Asura

Probably the Virtuaboy as it triggered a migraine every time I played it but I did only buy it for novelty value so wasn't expecting much.

Beyond that it is probably the 360. I bought a 360 when my interest in gaming was at rock bottom but even then I was surprised how little I played it and then it died and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since. My apathy towards it is so great I couldn't even be bothered to get it fixed whilst it was still under warranty. It is also the only console that has ever broken on me. I've still got my NES and Mastersystem that work perfectly well and even my launch day Dreamcast works like a charm.

So many :coffee:

Of the "modern" consoles the PSP wins hands down, it's just so, so ... fucking rubbish. Hated the UMDs and the first batch of games which I think has marred my opinion of it ever since. Spent fucking hours hacking it with CFW, putting PS1 games on it, emulators, apps, the works - then I'd spend about 20 minutes playing the thing and never touch it. I haven't switched it on in years

I've also bought a lot of retro shit which I need to get rid off; Sega Master System - meh. Atari Jaguar - poop. GameGear - rotten.

PS3

I do not understand how sony got it wrong

Constant HUGE patches even of brand new games

s-l-o-w downloads from PSN

Constant upgrades to firmware

Firmware updates remove features!!!!!!!!!!!!

No headset in the box

No cross game chat

Awful controller released without rumble

No backwards compatibility

Breaking blu ray diodes

My old one sounded like a jet engine running uncharted, before it broke

All this for £300 quid.

32X - it was in a bundle with a couple of Megadrives. I knew there wasn't much going for it but it delivered even less. After faffing about with two 4-way slabs, making sure the right PSUs were plugged in and firing the thing up I was about as underwhelmed as it is possible to be. And that's after playing the good games!

Okay so it's not a console but I also have to mention this heap of shit:

aquarius.jpg

The Mattel Aquarius.

When my twin and I were 12 (1984) we wanted a Spectrum, but my dad bought this from a bloke down the pub for £40. We had one game, some shitty one-screen Berzerk clone, and that was it. And of course the resale value was zero, so we couldn't even raise some cash to get a Spectrum!

I have Aquarius! With Discs of Tron! It's Ace! :coffee:

Also: Having just slagged off the PSP in this very thread, I bought a game for it today - Outrun 2006. Just because it was £2.75. Pff.

The Xbox if i'm honest. It worked a treat but was more powerful then my PC at the time but not massively more. Kinda became redundant.

I can't make sense of this. What do you mean?

PS2 was probably my worst (and I've owned a lot of consoles). Never owned a playstation before it, never gonna own one again (home consoles, this is). I bought it specifically for Guitar Hero, so it kinda fulfilled its purpose, but there wasn't much else. The joypad is bloody terrible, too. Aside from a few exclusives, I was better off playing games on the XBOX. Oddly though, I quite like my PSP, despite the fact it's pretty much a PS2 portable.

PS2 was probably my worst (and I've owned a lot of consoles). Never owned a playstation before it, never gonna own one again (home consoles, this is). I bought it specifically for Guitar Hero, so it kinda fulfilled its purpose, but there wasn't much else. The joypad is bloody terrible, too. Aside from a few exclusives, I was better off playing games on the XBOX. Oddly though, I quite like my PSP, despite the fact it's pretty much a PS2 portable.

This thread really does show how it's horses for courses. PS2 is by far and away my most used console. I reckon that if you added up all my games playing time (excluding in work) from way back when I had a Commodore 16 up until now, the PS2 would account for more than half of it. My Xbox, on the other hand, has barely been used...

Also: Having just slagged off the PSP in this very thread, I bought a game for it today - Outrun 2006. Just because it was £2.75. Pff.

Shouldn't have bothered. It won't let me save my game as I don't have enough free space on my card. Why it needs more than 14.5GB, I don't know.

PSP - I've had 2 or 3 PSP's, all CFW'd and I've prolly spent more time on the bog this week than I have playing them over the time I've owned a PSP. Forgoing the abysmal loading times when playing legitimately the design of the fucking thing is borderline abysmal and claw-hand inducing, the games woefully uninspiring (unless you like JRPG's and PS2 ports/cut down sequels) and the fucking thing discharges battery like you wouldn't believe. Add to that the emulation for Megadrive and the rest (one of the main reasons to get CFW) isn't anywhere near up to scratch makes it a paperweight more than anything else.

Eh? PicoDrive v1.51 runs everything full speed very accurately. SNES doesn't always run full speed but it's very playable, I'd say only the Amiga emulator is unplayable. Other than those there's full speed PS1/NeoGeo/CPS1+2/NES/SMS/PCE/ST/C64/Spectrum emulators, and probably some I've missed.

Opposite to a lot of posts here, the PSP is my most played console, although not in the way Sony intended of course (CFW)...

Worst console has to be the Jaguar, that must have had a whole 20 minutes of 'play' before being shoved straight back on eBay. Admittedly this was only 5 or so years ago, long after its 15 seconds of fame.

Shouldn't have bothered. It won't let me save my game as I don't have enough free space on my card. Why it needs more than 14.5GB, I don't know.

That's a daft bug with some early PSP games that don't recognise 4GB cards and upwards. Either put a save on a smaller card or download a save from somewhere like GameFAQs, then transfer it to your usual card.

Disragarding retro consoles I've bought for pennies just out of curiosity (hello 3D0), probably the most disappointing 'new' console that I bought at full price would be the original GBA, for the reason most people would state: the terrible unlit screen. I bought the machine with Castlevania (probably the worst choice in that regard) and I remember playing it during breaks at work, angling it at the canteen window and still being mostly unable to see anything. I didn't have it for long.

It was 3DO, stood for 3-dimensional objects. :facepalm:

Getting memories of the GBA flooding back after reading this thread. I bought mine on launch in 2001, the original model, and I don't think I ever played what few games I had all that often until I bought a DS in 2005! The back-lit screen made all the difference.

Going further back, I wasn't that disappointed with the GBC at the time, as it was something to play Pokemon Blue on that wasn't the old yellow and green-grey Game Boy... But wasn't that much for it, otherwise.

Eh? PicoDrive v1.51 runs everything full speed very accurately. SNES doesn't always run full speed but it's very playable, I'd say only the Amiga emulator is unplayable. Other than those there's full speed PS1/NeoGeo/CPS1+2/NES/SMS/PCE/ST/C64/Spectrum emulators, and probably some I've missed.

Very accurately or perfectly? Not always full speed is, to be frank, fucking rubbish. It's a fucking Super Nintendo, they could get it to work on a calculator. The last time I tried the emulation was about a year ago and it hadn't moved on any since I tried it about 2 years before that. After that I heard people lost interest and didn't see any point in trying to catch up with them.

You'd hope the PS1 emulator would work seeing as you can download PS1 games, but even then some just flat out refuse to work (Vagrant Story for instance but, again, I lost interest in trying to get it to work a long time ago so it could work these days).

The long and short is that it's tragic that you have to fuck with a console to get the most out of it, and make it as far from it's intended use as possible to extract 'the best' from it, so to speak.

Sega Saturn. It really was a poor man's Playstation. Yes, yes, i'm sure if I had a Japanese one with all the must haves it would be better, but as a PAL console it just had nothing. Add to that the disappointment of learning that the slot at the back isn't for megadrive games...

The only thing I can thank it for is introducing me to the Parodius games.

Looking at my Saturn collection it really is the 2D stuff that shines on it. Anyone played Burning Rangers recently? Daytona? House Of The Dead? At the time I loved every minute of playing those but christ on a pogo stick, they look fucking awful these days.

Looking at my Saturn collection it really is the 2D stuff that shines on it. Anyone played Burning Rangers recently? Daytona? House Of The Dead? At the time I loved every minute of playing those but christ on a pogo stick, they look fucking awful these days.

Yeah; a lot of those games were arcadey. Daytona I think is a great example, as I tend to think that arcade racing games age worst of all, as they're based on largely visceral thrills that are quickly technically superceded. I still like Daytona but I can accept it's purely for nostalgia.

The 2D stuff is still good, though - Guardian Heroes is one of my favourite games. Nights is pretty good, but after playing the recent PS2 conversion I doubt I could go back to it.

Worst console I've bought new is - err - err - a good question.

In terms of price-against-usage it's going to be the Wii for sure. I don't dislike the Wii and it gets plenty of use for parties and multiplayer stuff but the only single-player games I've played for any length of time are SMG and LKS - and that 3D flying block matching thing on WiiWare (probably my most played Wii game!!).

By the time I got a pre-owned Saturn they were cheap as chips - it came with a stack of games too but I spoiled the savings by getting Radiant Silvergun for it at enormous cost and I played that to death so value - GET!

My Gamecube didn't get enormous attention really - the highpoint was the Bongos era and my slicing my thumb wide-open somewhat curtailed that...

Otherwise I think every console I've had has seen use beyond it's cost tho.

Very accurately or perfectly? Not always full speed is, to be frank, fucking rubbish. It's a fucking Super Nintendo, they could get it to work on a calculator. The last time I tried the emulation was about a year ago and it hadn't moved on any since I tried it about 2 years before that. After that I heard people lost interest and didn't see any point in trying to catch up with them.

You'd hope the PS1 emulator would work seeing as you can download PS1 games, but even then some just flat out refuse to work (Vagrant Story for instance but, again, I lost interest in trying to get it to work a long time ago so it could work these days).

The long and short is that it's tragic that you have to fuck with a console to get the most out of it, and make it as far from it's intended use as possible to extract 'the best' from it, so to speak.

Very accurately, and certainly full speed for Mega Drive. SNES could be quicker, but it's still very good. Vagrant Story works fine on the PS1 emulator, don't use PAL games and it's 99% compatible.

Isn't it the case with all consoles that modding them to get the best is the done thing?

Well, no in all honesty. My DC is unmodded, my Xbox 360 is unmodded, my Gamecube and Wii the same. For me there's no benefit from modding them except to play copied games, mainly because any emulation I do on my PC. I have a chipped xbox under my TV that's sole function is region free DVD player these days. There's a full MAME rom set but it grinds with busy games so it's a bit on the pointless side.

The only console that I'd argue for is the Saturn with the region/speed switch because that makes it a million times better and gives access to so many more games.

It's all subjective, really. Having a full speed modified Megadrive or whatever doesn't bother me, in the same way a region free Gamecube doesn't interest me yet some people can't imagine playing games in 50hz pal bordered.

Isn't it the case with all consoles that modding them to get the best is the done thing?

No, not at all. My PSP is the only console I ever modded, and all I ever did with it was play more awkward video formats that the default FW didn't support. I've never been tempted to mod any others, and I've owned most of the major (and some minor) consoles of the last ten years. I'm as surprised that someone would assert it as the norm.

CD32. Cant remember how much i paid for it new. Got it from Dixons. £299 rings a bell. It came with 'Dangerous Streets'. :hat:

Nothing much came out for it, about 6 months later I went to the Old Silica Shop in Sidcup and bought an SX1 add on, floppy drive, keyboard etc. That was probably another £150 - £199 - possibly more.

My most played game on this (approx) £500 Amiga 1200 / CD32 hybrid.

Sensible World of Soccer

Which came on a couple of floppies

In other words, i might has well have stuck with my old Amiga which i sold a year previously.

Oh well, Sensi was fantastic though with a Competition Pro joy pad!

I fortunately have managed to enjoy every console I purchased to some extent and fortunately never had the cash as a kid to go for some of the mid 90's faliures like the mega cd, 32 x, jaguar, amiga 32 etc. I did once own a Super Gameboy which I had fun with only for a year before I sold it in for trading with other games. I never really digged the gameboy games too much. Fun if you are more of a puzzle player but felt there were a lack of games with depth. Zelda was very good and the Mario games were pretty good too. I played one of the Bomberman releases and a megaman release which I liked. There was a lot of crap on it. I'm not saying it wasnt a bad thing because it has lasted longer than pretty much any other hand held. The Super Gameboy though for me I just didn't use it enough.

Actually Im gonna put my Sega Saturn in this bracket. I got this when it was about £200 or something so it was an expensive purchase for something which didn't fare too well. I did find a few good games for it but just never did it justice and it was out done by a PSX I got about a year after. As soon as I got that chipped, I was grabbing coppies on there. And at school when you have little cash, it was the better option. My Saturn just got left and annoyingly I went back to it some time ago but the aerial port connector had come out and the prongs bent. Managed to bend them back to an extent but its such a pain in the ass to get a good signal with sound that I may as well have gotten a new console entirely.

I wouldnt say that it's a bad console though because there are some games on it which were quite good, just not enough overall.

I love my Game.com. It's shit, but then I love shit. However, the PSP is shit and expects you to think it's great, whereas the Game.com is funny shit.

If you see what I mean.

Heh true, a lot of the time the games i enjoy on the psp i just wish i could play on a tv. my PSP is mostly just a mp3 player nowadays and the game.com did have a shitty charm. back when it came out i was amazed at the whole touch screen thing though. Also it had the internet :hat: not that i ever used that.

the game.com did have a shitty charm. back when it came out i was amazed at the whole touch screen thing though. Also it had the internet :hat: not that i ever used that.

I remember Nintendo declaring the DS was the first touch screen handheld games console. I remember Sega saying that Sonic Pocket Adventure on the NGPC was the first Sonic game on a non-Sega console.

How quickly they all forgot about the game.com :lol:

I went on the internet with the game.com, by the way. Technically, all you could do with it was telnet into places, but my ISP let me do that into them and they had pine and lynx set up. Amaze!

That's a daft bug with some early PSP games that don't recognise 4GB cards and upwards. Either put a save on a smaller card or download a save from somewhere like GameFAQs, then transfer it to your usual card.

Might try the save-from-GameFAQs (I don't have another card). Anyone have a "blank" Outrun 2006 save, though? :hat:

I'm pined after a Game.com for months. Rather glad now that I never got one!

I don't think I've ever owned any real stinkers.C64, Amiga 500, PlayStations 1, 2 and 3 (which almost could've been a stinker), GBA, DS and PSP.