Worst console you ever owned

Asura

Might try the save-from-GameFAQs (I don't have another card). Anyone have a "blank" Outrun 2006 save, though? :hat:

You can delete the existing licences from the GameFAQs save and create a new one, it's the save file itself you're after.

Technically, all you could do with it was telnet into places, but my ISP let me do that into them and they had pine and lynx set up. Amaze!

You lost me.

Jokes aside, I'm genuinely curious - I remember seeing them in Argos years ago. What could be done with them online?

Think mine would have to be the Playstation. I dont recall anything amazing other than a few rpg's that I found any good. Looking back I bought a load of games for the thing when I was working but the majority of them were a load of old cobblers, and I wouldnt touch with a ten foot barge pole nowadays. Cost me an arm and a leg buying those games which I could have saved for something far more useful. But I was young(er) and had more money then. Still have my PS I think somewhere too, along with FF7, the game I bought it for :hat:

No, not at all. My PSP is the only console I ever modded, and all I ever did with it was play more awkward video formats that the default FW didn't support. I've never been tempted to mod any others, and I've owned most of the major (and some minor) consoles of the last ten years. I'm as surprised that someone would assert it as the norm.

Fair enough, in my opinion a console's not worth bothering with if it can't be made to do stuff it shouldn't.

Anyone brave enough to admit to owning an Amstrad GX4000? That often comes up in 'worst console ever' discussions, steered well clear of it myself.

hmmm... i never liked the original gameboy, i thought 99% of the games were shit, it still holds for me the worst mario games made. Although i liked the GBC its screen weren't as bad as the GBA's and spent ages on such classics as Harvest moon, pokemon, and Mario DX

I never liked the gamecube, owned it numerous times and could never get along with it, i just never felt the love it got, the same with the DS never liked it and got bored quickly

Only the DS for me. I can't really fault the machine itself, I just don't think I get portable gaming. The only games I really liked were Ouendan/EBA - probably because they offered a fairly unique experience and I'm a sucker for rhythm action.

If you didn't have light shining directly on the screen you may as well not bother.

Christ, i somehow managed to finish Circle of the Moon on one of those things. I played almost the entire game with a desk lamp strategically placed to light up the screen, and the heat the lamp put off was ridiculously hot. Then i sold the cunt of a thing and got an SP, only system i ever got rid of actually.

Christ, i somehow managed to finish Circle of the Moon on one of those things. I played almost the entire game with a desk lamp strategically placed to light up the screen, and the heat the lamp put off was ridiculously hot. Then i sold the cunt of a thing and got an SP, only system i ever got rid of actually.

Yeah, I remember playing a load of games with a halogen bedside lamp angled above the screen. It's incredible the device ever got released; it was a shoddy state of affairs.

I still really want to see one of the "improved" GBA SP's.

Yeah, I remember playing a load of games with a halogen bedside lamp angled above the screen. It's incredible the device ever got released; it was a shoddy state of affairs.

I still really want to see one of the "improved" GBA SP's.

I think the problem was during development they tested in an office enviroment with Flourecent tubes, great worked well. Outside direct sunlight also worked well. However anything else was shite.

Now the problem with the SP is that you can't use it in direct sunlight, so Boktai for example is unplayable. I'm going to need to get an original GBA if I want to finish those 2.

I think the problem was during development they tested in an office enviroment with Flourecent tubes, great worked well. Outside direct sunlight also worked well. However anything else was shite.

Now the problem with the SP is that you can't use it in direct sunlight, so Boktai for example is unplayable. I'm going to need to get an original GBA if I want to finish those 2.

The original SP allowed you to turn off the backlight (which isn't really a proper backlight anyway) and I don't recall any problems playing Boktai on it. Also Boktai should be playable on a DS via the bottom slot as well.

I liked the original GBA a lot. True there was no backlight but I was used to that after having a GBC. I think the ergonomics of the GBA were the best.

never!

I think it depends how you see it - either at the time, or looking back in hindsight. Certainly looking at it now, the Saturn probably seems a terrible machine, but at the time, until it collapsed about 3 years after release, it had some great games. The problem is similar to what was said earlier - many of them were arcadey shooting, fighting and racing games, and they age terribly.

Jokes aside, I'm genuinely curious - I remember seeing them in Argos years ago. What could be done with them online?

Nothing graphical.

You know the command line on your computer? You could basically only connect to that (only on your ISP's server). Then you could run text based applications available on the command line - pine (email and news), and lynx (tinternets) is what I used. You could do very little!

I had no idea your PC could run XBox games.

I had the PS2 as well mate so the Xbox was only used for exclusives and eventually used for Forza and Rallisport, and the odd game where the Xbox was better then the PS2.

I never owned more then 10 games for it during its hayday.

GBA given to me by a friend with Metroid Fusion. Even with a shittily installed backlight, the system is very hard to see and there is lots of dust between the screens. To this day Ive never even played through Fusion.

2nd place is Wii. Given to me with a broken drive, I fixed it and did the Zelda soft mod. Ive played a bit of Wii Sports and bought a used Mario Galaxy off Ebay, but to be honest I havent really gotten into Galaxy that much. Ive used the system mostly as a Gamecube and for running emulators. TG-16 and Neo Geo emulation on it is disappointing though. Also disappointing is the NES emulator doesnt use the correct resolution output like the VC games do.

3rd place is PS1. Played through Parappa the Rapper, MGS, SOTN, but thats it. I played through FF7 on my brothers PS1 before I bought my own years later. It really hasnt got much playtime.

I cherish my NES, Genesis 2 (even though the power switch is jacked), SNES, N64 and GC (yes, I love my GC and think its probably the most underrated system of all time.)

Worst console I bought new has to be either the original GBA or PSP.

The GBA was a bit impossible to see, but some of the games were amazing so it can be forgiven, especially when the SP was launched (amazing) then later the micro (portable gaming heaven).

The PSP is great for what it CAN do when running custom firmware, but as a stand alone console, there aren't a lot of great titles, and I think no definitive versions.

I remember seeing an import one and thinking the screen looks increadible and I had to have one, so bought at UK launch.

In fact, I think CFW, Ridge Racers and Loco Roco aside, mine has been very much unloved.

Beyond the lack of titles, the controls are pretty awful, mainly due to positioning, UMD media is inferior, slow, noisy, reduces the (already poor) battery life and takes up more storage space than flash memory alternatives, and why oh why are there 4(!?) versions of it, each with it's own flaws, and neither really sorting out the whole thing!

My ps3 is pretty unloved too, had it a couple of years, still waiting for a full Gran Turismo game, only got half a dozen titles for it...

and don't get me started on that damn controller...

Decent media player mind.

Used consoles... I've bought and sold a couple of mastersystems and mega drives, I can never really find much to play on them, maybe it's a combination of loving the NES/SNES, maybe it's down to not wanting to spend the monet on titles for it.

Chris

Anyone brave enough to admit to owning an Amstrad GX4000? That often comes up in 'worst console ever' discussions, steered well clear of it myself.
Guys, guys, guys....

You wanna talk proper shit?

932975amstrad-gx4000.system.jpg

I've owned 3 of these bitches over the years. All had burning rubber with them and I've only ever seen 1 other boxed game for it (track and field rip off)

Winner! :eyebrows:

I suggest you get a GB player for your GC and finish Metroid Fusion and then get Zero Mission as well. Some of the best games on the GBA.

I forgot they made such a thing! I have played through Zero Mission on emulator + PC and loved it, still have not spent much time with Fusion though. I need to look into that.