Worst console you ever owned

Asura

RE2 on the game.com was awful. Mainly as it used the tank controls from the "proper" game - meaning you'd often be pressing up to go left. Or right. Or down.

Spartan is the only person doing this thread properly, but I reckon I can trump him with the worst handheld console ever:

worst-9.jpg

They were really little more than LCD games... except with a silly price tag!

How come there has been not a single mention of this?

nokia_n-gage.jpg

Thankfully I never owned one.

Or this...

90_Commodore_64GS_General-main.jpg

This has to be one of the most stupid ideas for a console ever imagined. Let's take an 8 year old computer, remove the keyboard and tape deck, and hope that publishers will develop games for it. With the best game being a 7 year old football game.

Although I did have the Fiendish Freddy (with International Soccer) compilation cartridge, which I picked up with a cheapo c64...

What's wrong with you??? :(

A few years ago I couldn't move for them at the car boots. I picked up a boxed one when I went through a retro gaming collecting phase then got stuck with it for years as no one would buy it off me. Then I got into ebay and sold it on finally. Picked up 2 more at various points and dumped them on the bay after giving burning rubber another bash. Got the shock of my life when I found a cartridge for another game in the final one that I picked up. I still laugh when I see one at a car boot mint its box.

I can imagine some poor bastard in the early 90's coming down for christmas day expecting a megadrive, NES or SNES only to unwrap one of these bags of wank that their parents got from Rumblelows

This though....this is the biggest pile of shit I've ever owned. It came with a ton of games, none of which were actually playable

image009.jpg

The Atari XEGS. Awful hybrid computer / games console that did neither well.

Edit: Oh god a commodore 64 games console. Only ever seen one in my entire life. There was no way to connect either a keyboard or cassette player so it was locked out of almost all the existing software

Spartan is the only person doing this thread properly, but I reckon I can trump him with the worst handheld console ever:

worst-9.jpg

I see your game.com and raise you.......

Supervision.jpg

A QUICKSHOT SUPERVISION!!!

Utterly shit and competely unplayable. It came with a breakout clone. I threw it out quickly after I bought it after tearing it apart for fun. Theres almost nothing to it inside. Bought it along with a box of other assorted game crap from a car boot years ago

image009.jpg

Wasn't that the Atari 400/800 in its third or fourth different generation redesign?

IIRC the XEGS was released at the end of the '80s, a decade after the Atari 400/800, so no wonder you weren't impressed. The inner hardware would've been absolutely ancient by the time the XEGS emerged.

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/museum/games/ind...tem=supervision :lol:

Also, that picture looks surprisingly like *my* picture of *my* Supervision. Hmm.

Probably is ha ha. It was the first image I found on google. Think I found the one I had about 1999/2000 in a crate of gameboy games whilst I was going through a phase of retro gaming infused kleptomania. Think I had it a few days before tearing it apart to see what was inside. The screen a had horrific refresh making the games unplayable. I remember seeing them for sale new in a local indie games shop in the eary 90's called The SoftCentre in Cwmbran, South Wales.

This though....this is the biggest pile of shit I've ever owned. It came with a ton of games, none of which were actually playable

image009.jpg

The Atari 800/5200 was a pretty decent console/computer- for 1984. In saying that, the case looks like a fantastic slice of late 80s design. Basically pastel colours and shitty-futuristic looking!

Still, it could have been worse, it could have been a 7800...

The Atari 800 was a thing of beauty when you saw it at its prime. A real aspirational machine, as they say. Four joystick ports, cash-till keyboard, cavernous internal cartridge/expansion bay. A real Death Star of a computer. Looked a bit weedy once the Commodore 64 came along, however.

Spartan is the only person doing this thread properly

or the remainder of us just don't buy shit :wub:

I've changed my mind from previously. I just remembered I own a Wonderswan Swan Crystal.

Bought it to play Gunpey really, decent game that was then released on DS and PSP.

But, I don't speak Japanese, and it has a bit of the dark screen thing going on again.

Maybe I just need to look into other titles for it as it looks like a decent bit of kit, nice and small, really slim, and has the genius landscape / portrait usage...

I also own a Virtual Boy, but that was a present (and I *heart* it in as much as the other Nintendo attempts to change the gaming world)

Chris

or the remainder of us just don't buy shit :wub:

Too true...but it had the knock on effect that I have, if only for a short time, owned and played on the following over the years. In no particular order off the top of my head -

Commodore 64

Commodore 128

Amiga 500

Amiga 600

Amiga 1200

Spectrum ZX

Spectrum +

Spectrum +2

Spectrum +3

Atari 2600

Atari 2600jr

Atari XEGS

Atari ST

Atari Jaguar (5 times ha ha ha)

Atari Lynx V1 / V2

Amstrad CPC

Amstrad GX4000

NES

SNES

N64

Gamecube

Virtual Boy

Game Boy

GBA

GB SP

Supervision

Neo geo Pocket

Master system 1 / 2

Megadrive 1 / 2

Mega CD 1 / 2

Game Gear

32X

Saturn Model 1 / Model 2

Dreamcast

Playstation / PSOne

PS2 / PS2 Slim

Xbox / Xbox crystal / Xbox Halo edition

PS3 Fatty

PSP 1000

Just got the PS2 slim, PSP, 360, PS3, Xbox crystal (modded) / halo, megadrive, 32X, game gear and the virtual boy now. Sold the rest over the years. I could usually find something good on each system

Guys, guys, guys....

You wanna talk proper shit?

932975amstrad-gx4000.system.jpg

I've owned 3 of these bitches over the years. All had burning rubber with them and I've only ever seen 1 other boxed game for it (track and field rip off)

WOW! now that brings back memories.

The folks brought me one of these from some ex-catalogue clearance store with one game ...you guessed it! I kept moaning about wanting more games and the fact that you couldn't find any them anywhere, then another ex catalogue clearance shop opened up next to B&Q and they have the entire Amstrad library up for grabs!

I ended up with about 10 games in all, they come in huge chunky grey boxes. Off the top of my head i had Navy Seals (a port of the charlie sheen film), barbarian (think it was the 2nd one?), Robocop (which I thought was actually really good platform game at the time)....can't think of any of the others?

I swapped it for a master system with a mate at school in the end - wish i kept it to prove that there were other games for it!

I see your game.com and raise you.......

Supervision.jpg

A QUICKSHOT SUPERVISION!!!

Utterly shit and competely unplayable. It came with a breakout clone. I threw it out quickly after I bought it after tearing it apart for fun. Theres almost nothing to it inside. Bought it along with a box of other assorted game crap from a car boot years ago

I nearly bought one of those because (and this is the reason I bought the Game.com) I was trying to collect all the handheld consoles ever made. Foolish.

Still, it did mean I owned a PC Engine GT for a while, which was ace.

Or this...

90_Commodore_64GS_General-main.jpg

This has to be one of the most stupid ideas for a console ever imagined. Let's take an 8 year old computer, remove the keyboard and tape deck, and hope that publishers will develop games for it. With the best game being a 7 year old football game.

Although I did have the Fiendish Freddy (with International Soccer) compilation cartridge, which I picked up with a cheapo c64...

Had one of those......thought it was very limited even at my young age, even more so when my mate gave me his full C64 not long after with about 300 games!

Aside from that chunk of shit above, the original GBA was terrible (for all the reasons mentioned here).

EDIT: I didn't own it, but a friend of mine imported an Apple Pippin. Now THAT was fucking abysmal!

EDIT2: Pic of Pippin:

apple_pipin.jpg

Too true...but it had the knock on effect that I have, if only for a short time, owned and played on the following over the years. In no particular order off the top of my head -

I know the feeling, though i've not owned as many (crap? :)) consoles as you, I keep hold of, well, most of my stuff so still have a pile of unloved stuff sitting around.

I tend to stray away from anything crap/cassette based/sort of PC type things (ie most things with Commodore/Amiga/Spectrum on them...)

I've also owned and sold:

Commodore 64

Amiga 600

Amiga 1200

Spectrum ZX (was this the tiny one with rubber keys?)

Spectrum +2 (this is the one with the cassette deck attached?)

Atari ST

Megadrive (3 times, 1 with 50+ games, 1 a nice minty fresh boxed MD2)

Mastersystem (twice, both the original with card slot, oddly never owned an MS2)

plus a few 'spare' or doubles of gamecubes, playstations, SNES,

Currently I own:

NES (x2)

SNES (x4, maybe 5)

N64 (x2 as of 2 weeks ago when I was given one, plus a Pikachu N64, Pokemon Stadium Battle Set N64)

Gamecube (maybe 5 or 6 inc. a couple of LEs)

Virtual Boy

Game Boy (a couple of these, I'm trying to get a nice mint boxed, picked up a box with all contents, tetris, unused headphones etc, but no gameboy for 50p and am struggling to find a mint complete gameboy!

GB Pocket

GBA (3 colours...)

GB SP (couple of regular ones, an LE, and 1 with no front light - see NGPC..)

GBMicro (Famicom + Green)

Neo geo Pocket

Neo geo pocket colour (1 with gp front light, 1 without)

Game Gear

Saturn (very unloved, no video cable :omg:)

Dreamcast (3 of, 1 resides at my girlfriends brothers, another was given to me 2 weeks ago)

Playstation (inc a couple of early models I was given 2 weeks ago) / PSOne / Net Yaroze

PS2 / PS2 Slim

Xbox (softmodded the other night) / Xbox crystal

PS3 Fatty

PSP 1000

DS / DSLite / DSi XL

Wonderswan Swancrystal

Possibly others

I might still have some sort of Spectrum in a 007 box too..

I love that neither of us progressed beyond the PSP 1000.

I also have a Commodore VIC 20, but have never actually attempted to plug it in / don't know if I have all the bits anyway. In my defense, a lot of the stuff come as part of a bundle at a boot sale, or was given to me for doing a favour.

For example the VIC 20 was getting binned when someone moved house so I took it as a curio.

I just fixed someones PC and satnav and was given an old xbox with 3 games and a ps2 slim with 50 games in return.

My collection sorely needs a direction :omg:

Back on topic...

Looking through my list actually, I think the Saturn should top my list now as I don't think i've ever played the one I own due to the missing video lead!

That Atari XEGS, is the bit above it the control pad :)

Chris

Get a RGB scart lead for that saturn. Its one of my favorite consoles of all time even though I didn't own one during its release. I've picked them up from the car boots at various times (the capcom fighters, nights, sonic jam, sega rally, manx tt, burning rangers are fantastic) tho I don't own one at the mo

I never found out what those buttons actually did on the atari XEGS. One was a power button but the others did random things in the games I had (I remember a flight simulator I had on it. It ran at about 2 frames per second)

I actually liked the Jags that I've owned over the years. Its a bit of a 2d powerhouse with some conversions easily outstripping their MD and SNES counterparts. I've always wondered just how far it could have been pushed. Tempest was a lot of fun and its conversions of doom and frankenstein were pretty good. Alien vs predator has dated really badly. Most gamers tend to laugh it tho sadly

How come there has been not a single mention of this?

nokia_n-gage.jpg

Because it's "worst console you ever owned", and no-one bought one!

Seriously, remember that price tag reveal? Drawn in paint on a girl's chest, when she took off her top on stage?

Everything about the NGage was terrible. Everything about the NGage QD was terrible. Poor games, bad hardware, vertical screen, nasty controller, crap phone.

Because it's "worst console you ever owned", and no-one bought one!

I got one :D

The original N-gage was my first mobile phone. Bought it for £30 from a car boot sale, it had never been used. This was well after it had died a death anyway, so I was late to the party. THPS was aces on it ;)

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/museum/games/ind...p?system=n-gage

3. Wii

I've probobly had under 20 hours of play on it in total since launch.

wow thats pretty bad. I think Zelda has clocked me up 50 hours or so.. im sure ive played galaxy for 20 hours or so.

But i havent really used it much in the past year, except for new super mario bros. Galaxy 2 will be a good time though.

wow thats pretty bad. I think Zelda has clocked me up 50 hours or so.. im sure ive played galaxy for 20 hours or so.

But i havent really used it much in the past year, except for new super mario bros. Galaxy 2 will be a good time though.

My Wii is probably my most used console - ever. And I've plugged 150-200 hours into Oblivion and Fallout 3 (each!) on the 360!

Wasn't that the Atari 400/800 in its third or fourth different generation redesign?

IIRC the XEGS was released at the end of the '80s, a decade after the Atari 400/800, so no wonder you weren't impressed. The inner hardware would've been absolutely ancient by the time the XEGS emerged.

Essentially like the 64GS and the Amstrad GX console it was just one of these made to look more like a console. The great thing though was the Atari already had the cartridge port, so you were paying more for less with a funky (heh) redesign.

Atari_800XL.jpg

I think by the point the Atari console came out I'd moved onto the Megadrive / Amiga.

Essentially like the 64GS and the Amstrad GX console it was just one of these made to look more like a console. The great thing though was the Atari already had the cartridge port, so you were paying more for less with a funky (heh) redesign.

The C64 already had a cartridge port too.

The C64 already had a cartridge port too.

Correct, the first few games I had were on cartridge (International Soccer!).

Were the C64GS cartridges the same spec, and therefore worked on a C64?

Not that I'm thinking of getting one, of course!