Worst console you ever owned

Asura

Correct, the first few games I had were on cartridge (International Soccer!).

Were the C64GS cartridges the same spec, and therefore worked on a C64?

Not that I'm thinking of getting one, of course!

I have Jupiter Lander on cart, and it seems to work in both. Of course, there's the problem with old carts needing a keyboard, but the other way round shouldn't be a problem.

Correct, the first few games I had were on cartridge (International Soccer!).

Were the C64GS cartridges the same spec, and therefore worked on a C64?

Not that I'm thinking of getting one, of course!

yeah, the carts worked on both the C64 and the GS. I vaguely remember a mate buying a GS foir next to nothing with a couple of carts. He binned the console itself almost straigh away (after dismantling it first, obviously) and just kept the games to play on his "breadbin".

I'm fairly sure all the Commodore machines had game on cart. I know the C16 and Vic20 did, certainly.

Seriously, remember that price tag reveal? Drawn in paint on a girl's chest, when she took off her top on stage?

Everything about the NGage was terrible. Everything about the NGage QD was terrible. Poor games, bad hardware, vertical screen, nasty controller, crap phone.

I remember reading about the reveal in some E3 special in Edge and how it was followed by an embarrassing silence... :(

1.jpg

Seriously, would you? (EDIT: pay that price tag, I mean, but I guess the question's open to interpretation...)

Because it's "worst console you ever owned", and no-one bought one!

Seriously, remember that price tag reveal? Drawn in paint on a girl's chest, when she took off her top on stage?

Everything about the NGage was terrible. Everything about the NGage QD was terrible. Poor games, bad hardware, vertical screen, nasty controller, crap phone.

I had 2! The original and then the redesign. I kept trying to convince myself that it was cool. Even the games that Edge like (Pathways to Glory was one of them IIRC) were awful. It had this awful 2d splinter cell. Tomb Raider was a half decent port mind. There was Call of Duty and an Elder Scrolls game that was awful.

wow thats pretty bad. I think Zelda has clocked me up 50 hours or so.. im sure ive played galaxy for 20 hours or so.

But i havent really used it much in the past year, except for new super mario bros. Galaxy 2 will be a good time though.

I think the Wii is about where the GameCube was in 2005. Rather little life left in it, certainly not much on the horizon.

The most damning thing though is that I don't think I ever played a "must-have" GBC game that didn't work on the normal Game Boy.

uh...Wario ware 3? That was good :)

and pokémon gold and silver were better in colour. obviously. I quite liked the washed out colour palette for some reason.

I just looked at the list of games released for game boy color, and it was actually a lot worse than I remembered. I had some really appalling games for that. Like worms armageddon. and pong. and v-rally. ugh.

Xbox for me, such a dodgy piece of hardware. Everything on it is either breaking or seized up or falling off.

Really? I've never had a single problem with it. It certainly always felt extremely well built. Sturdy. Bulky. expensive. At the time that I got one I only had a gamecube, no ps2 or PC capable of playing games. So it was excellent for me. Few amazing exclusives though. Like a little obscure barely known title called HALO.

PS2 was probably my worst (and I've owned a lot of consoles). Never owned a playstation before it, never gonna own one again (home consoles, this is). I bought it specifically for Guitar Hero, so it kinda fulfilled its purpose, but there wasn't much else. The joypad is bloody terrible, too. Aside from a few exclusives, I was better off playing games on the XBOX. Oddly though, I quite like my PSP, despite the fact it's pretty much a PS2 portable.

what? no. lol. I didn't bother with the ps2 until 2007, but I practically had to get one, since there was so much that was excellent and I couldn't get anywhere else.

Isn't it the case with all consoles that modding them to get the best is the done thing?

no.

I've never had any completely awful consoles. The worst, then, is the sega saturn. Got it solely to play nights. Everything else I tried was awful. Never got to play burning rangers, before the console broke completely and I threw it away.

The GBA screen was a pile of wank, but I bought a crazy amount of games for it, and a lot of them were pretty great.

I see your game.com and raise you.......

Supervision.jpg

A QUICKSHOT SUPERVISION!!!

Utterly shit and competely unplayable. It came with a breakout clone. I threw it out quickly after I bought it after tearing it apart for fun. Theres almost nothing to it inside. Bought it along with a box of other assorted game crap from a car boot years ago

I won one of these from Bad Influence once with about 20-odd games. Still have them somewhere but boy, it was terrible. The screen was horrific.

I had a NGage too, it wasn't too bad at all at the time as a device to play mobile games and emulation. Rev Stu did a piece on it years back which reading back, sounds like the iPod Touch/iPhone handheld present we're in at the moment.

plenty of life in the wii, i know 4 people who have got one in the last month!

remember core gamers have to have a wii +1

There's a Wii in our workplace 'gaming area'. Most people prefer to play darts and table football, making it the 'worst console our workplace has ever owned'.

true. I kinda wish they would leave the new Zelda to the next nintendo console as well though.

Huh? You've got... (list time).. Sin and Punishment 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, No More Heroes 2, Trackmania, NBA Jam, Epic Mickey, Tiger Woods 2011 (with the really fancy golf swing controls- if that's your thang. And the knob controls, too), Zelda all announced for this year- trust me, that's nothing like the Gamecube in 2005.

Probably my Saturn.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games or scrolling shooters, so really I felt limited to NiGHTS, SEGA Rally and Burning Rangers (which gave me headaches back then and still does now if I play it for more than an hour, it makes my other half feel sick, lol).

Huh? You've got... (list time).. Sin and Punishment 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, No More Heroes 2, Trackmania, NBA Jam, Epic Mickey, Tiger Woods 2011 (with the really fancy golf swing controls- if that's your thang. And the knob controls, too), Zelda all announced for this year- trust me, that's nothing like the Gamecube in 2005.

Not to mention the games that are already out for it like Super Mario Galaxy, Monster hunter Tri, New Super Mario Bros Wii, deBlob, No More Heroes, Muramasa, Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Prime 3

Worse console I've ever owned is the Wii by a country mile.

Blimey. I can understand people not liking it but worst?

Unless you've only owned two consoles, I suppose.

It may be a sack of shit, but the Wii's nowhere near as god-awful as something like the Jaguar.

I had more fun with my jaguar than i have with the two Wii's i've owned

Bri

i can only conclude that people havent actually owned many different systems

here is a controversial one - the 2600 was pretty awful!

Depends on the time period. I'd agree towards the end of it's life as it went on for way too long.

i can only conclude that people havent actually owned many different systems

here is a controversial one - the 2600 was pretty awful!

As Lorfarius said, I think it depends on when you had it. I mean, it was originally released in 1977 and all I remember (home gaming wise) from the late 70s were those Grandstand Pong machines. The 2600 blew away all of them completely. I remember a mate having one in the early 80s and some of the games were great, some were pretty poor (Pele springs to mind). By about 1984 when the Commodore 64 and Spectrum had started to gain their stride, the graphics on the poor 2600 looked woeful. Never mind the fact that they were still selling it until 1992.

So if you got it for Christmas 1990. instead of an Atari ST (due to parents getting all confused about these "computer things"), then yeah- it would have been one of the worst consoles ever!!!

I do have to admit though, I don't think the Atari 2600 has aged particularly well. There's some great games, but a lot of crap.

Never mind the fact that they were still selling it until 1992.

Thinking back I can actually remember looking at the 2600 Jnr in the Argos catalogue around 1990/1. They were selling for around £40 and the games were about £5 each sadly I didn't have the cash being around 11 years old so never managed to get my grubby mitts on one then again I think I got the SNES for Xmas that year so it was soon forgotten :(