NHL 11

bradigor

The 1st details of NHL 11 have kind of been released. EA have signed a partnership with the CHL to add yet another playable league to the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/22/ea-and-c...ar-partnership/

A recent EA Sports press release has announced that the developer's upcoming hockey title, NHL 11, will be the first game to feature the teams and players of all three divisions in the Canadian Hockey League. The CHL is a "development" league, featuring players between the ages of 16 and 20, many of which go on to play for major teams in the NHL. We might go so far as to call it NHL Jr., if we didn't think every one of its players could beat us within an inch of our lives with little to no effort.

The two parties penned a four-year agreement to include CHL teams in the NHL game franchise, meaning we can expect to see minor league players in EA Sports' hockey franchise until NHL 14. We might even see a few CHL players move on to the big leagues between games. Won't that be nice?

It isn't the most amazing news, but it gives me an excuse to start off the thread for the new game.

We should expect a few details of gameplay tweaks etc over the next few weeks.

NHL has become my number 1 franchise. The last 2 have been the most enjoyable and most played games in each of the years they were released. Just had a look earlier and i've played 202 hours of NHL 10 so far :(

As its using the same engine so it will basicly play the same, they better get rid of the fucking glitchy wrist shot.

I am tired of playing Bap online and getting beat by team that just take glitch shots all the time and don't even try to play hockey.

I wish they would add the ECHL. Even though I am a Boston Bruins fan in NHL, we have season tickets to the Trenton Devils as it is only about 10 miles from where we live.

It would be great to play as such greats as Jeff Prough, Tony Zancanaro and Matt Vokes. Ahem!

• 3 weeks later...

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63529/nhl-1...t-Look-Preview/

238992_S.jpg

2K Sports decided to put their NHL 2K series on pause for the Xbox 360 and PS3 this year, leaving EA’s NHL 11 as the lone puck on the ice in the hockey arena this year. They’re still putting out a Wii version, but hardcore hockey and Nintendo’s lovable little console-that-could mix about as well as oil and water. Whoops, too soon? What this boils down to is that EA could have easily skated by with just a few roster updates and new artwork for the box with NHL 11. But instead, they’re adding innovations and proving that they’ve been listening to the fans.

NHL 11 features a completely new physics engine that replaces canned animations with realism, meaning your player won’t crash into the boards after a check the same way each time. The development team at EA Canada was inspired by the realistic punching in Fight Night Round 4 and decided to adopt a similar approach. Speaking of punching, fighting will still be in the game, although according to producer Sean Ramjagsingh, it will be authentic to the sport. Which, according to my informal office poll, is the number one reason to watch hockey.

238991_S.jpg

The game will have much-improved face-off control, offering players several different grips, as well as actual stick control during those moments with the right thumbstick. Also new to the game this year will be the addition of the entire 60-team Canadian Hockey League, as well as the most-requested feature from players: broken sticks. Now you can break sticks, and heads, as much as the game will allow. Our experience with the title was very limited, as they were just showing off the upgraded physics and the face-off controls, but the checks, dodges, leaps, and charges felt very satisfying, especially when you knocked someone on their ass.

238993_S.jpg

We’ll be looking forward to taking a team through three periods and seeing how the game holds up.

BROKEN STICKS

JUMPING CHALLENGES

AND..... LOOK AT THE FACEOFF

:o

It's not even a complaint, but one of my very few niggles with NHL10 is that the faceoffs are pretty much bunk and add less than zero the game. Considering how important it is in hockey, I like what they're doing here. The rest is just gravy. Unlike Madden which makes a couple of minor improvements each year and ignores the big issues, meaning the game is never particularly satisfying, NHL10 was and remains close to perfect.

It's not even a complaint, but one of my very few niggles with NHL10 is that the faceoffs are pretty much bunk and add less than zero the game. Considering how important it is in hockey, I like what they're doing here. The rest is just gravy. Unlike Madden which makes a couple of minor improvements each year and ignores the big issues, meaning the game is never particularly satisfying, NHL10 was and remains close to perfect.

It is one of our biggest complaints. NHL 2K does it much better

There'll be glitches. At least history and odds tell us there will be. Probably not the "wrist shot glitch," but the 24/7 nerdiots will likely find ways to exploit certain areas of the game.

The good thing is, EA Canada/the NHL guys at EA, again unlike other EA producers, listen to feedback and are pretty good at fixing the issues.

[yt]QI4CDCyF53o[/yt]

Broken sticks left on the ice affecting the puck still 1:17

You can use your hands as even when the puck is on the ice

Face offs look boss.

More next week

:eyebrows:

[yt]QI4CDCyF53o[/yt]

Broken sticks left on the ice affecting the puck still 1:17

You can use your hands as even when the puck is on the ice

Face offs look boss.

More next week

Looking good isn't it. :P

I would like the graphics to get a overhaul next year as they are exactly the same as NHL 08 still.

Looking good isn't it. :eyebrows:

I would like the graphics to get a overhaul next year as they are exactly the same as NHL 08 still.

They could go back to NHL 94 graphics for all I care. Just get the gameplay right :P

Yeah I agree the gameplay is far more important but I wanna see a nice realistic image of Ovie's ugly mug so I can take even more pleasure smashing it in. :)

I really hope that some of the new animations mean that the obscene amount of tripping penalties have gone. Also hope it means players can't bounce of every check with ease.

I had a thought last night. They could use the broken sticks to fix any glitch shot problems. Trying the wrist shot glitch and get a broken stick :P

Oh and it is nice Fifa are finally getting something we have had for the last two iterations of the game. (Custom Chants / Game Scenario sounds) :(

My Preview is Live: HERE

With barely enough time to get off the ice after the Chicago Blackhawks won their first Stanley Cup in 49 years., EA Sports are already attempting to get us in the mood for the next season with a steady stream of new information for NHL 11.

Despite NHL 10 being the best sports game on the market to date, there were some issues with the game itself. Namely a face-off system that was inferior to that offered by the 2K series and the effectiveness of the glitch shot when playing online. Although in fairness to the developers they offered a lot of support to try and get rid of these, via constantly updated tuner sets. There was also the things hockey fans would like to have seen in the game, such as the inclusion of broken sticks. With 2K taking a season break, this is EA's chance to overhaul the engine and perfect some of the niggles within the game.

Early noises coming out of EA Canada are looking positive. The 1st thing they have addressed is the dated face-off mechanics. According to the press release and early footage, the developers have looked at how well 2K's face-off mechanic worked and have used that as a basis for their new version. Take the puck, hit the opponents stick, tie up the opponent, get help from the wings, deke, shoot, it is all there. If the developers get this right then it adds a whole new layer of depth to the game and your tactical approach.

The biggest issue for many online players was the glitch shot, especially when playing BAP mode. It could be possible that the inclusion of the broken stick may help deal with those issue, with the in depth tuner options that are used for the game, it could be that the developers could increase the the likelihood of a broken stick on certain types of shot. It isn't ideal and it isn't confirmed that it would work like that, but anything that stops the glitchers will be welcomed. The broken stick mechanism may seem mainly aesthetic at first look, however taking a look at the first footage and the talk from the video, it looks like sticks left on the ice can affect the puck if it hits a blade or shaft sitting there, players without sticks will actively look to get a replacement, or even do what they can sans stick, by handling the puck on the ice. Again only brief views of these moments have been shown so far, but if implemented properly, it will change a players approach to the game.

The biggest overhaul though is saved for a brand new physics engine. EA Canada suggest that the pre-canned animations of the previous games will be replaced a real time physics engine. It is very hard to see how this will affect things on the ice without seeing it in action, however the biggest hopes are that this will stop players bouncing off checks that should knock them down. Hopefully it will also see the end of the annoying penalties that happen because an animation hasn't ended in time. The biggest hope is that the new physics engine will see a looser puck that acts as it does in the real world, encouraging players to have to try and play hockey they way it is meant to be played.

The inclusion of the CHL (Canadian Hockey League) will bolster the number of teams and players, although it appears that the British hockey fans may have to wait a bit longer to play as the Cardiff Devils, Coventry Blaze or (personal choice) Romford Raiders. It is a shame that the Elite League or even the EPIHL aren't popular enough in even their own country for EA to consider putting them in.

Some details yet to be revealed are the new modes and changes to current modes. The usual Franchise, BAP and Play-off modes are likely to return offline as will the standard single player ranked and unranked online modes. What does need looking at though is the online BAP mode, as players can really unbalance the game by levelling up individual stats to ridiculous levels. Hopefully EA Canada can implement a more balanced way to reward players who play lots and play well, although it is appreciated this will be difficult to do.

Early signs are looking good and it seems that EA Canada are using this year long sabbatical by 2K Sports to try and make some important changes to the game, giving them a free year to get things right and if they can get even the mentioned changes right then NHL 11 will become a vital upgrade for fans of the series.

At first I was all :hmm: then the last paragraph made me all ;)

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1098588p1.html

While it's true that we just previewed NHL 11 one week ago, now that I've played full five-on-five hockey for myself, I thought a quick update on the game's progress was warranted. So while we were previously confined to one-on-one hockey in order to properly demo the snazzy new physics that govern all of the on-ice action, EA Sports took off the restraints and opened it up to a full game of hockey for E3.

I was certainly impressed with the new physics capabilities in my first NHL 11 demo, and that feeling only grew once I got into a real game. Checks look fantastic, especially when the boards get involved. Players realistically roll and glance off of the boards, depending on the strength of the impact I was able to land. But the physics weren't confined to just interactions between players and the environment, they also seemed to perform well when two players collided on open ice. Everything feels like a real object with very little clipping taking place. One time I upended a player, only to have his leg get caught for a split-second under my arm. Not in an unnatural way, either. Just about everything looked exactly as it should.

In order to combat all of this crazy checking action, the developers from EA's Vancouver studio have given players a new quick deke ability. The mechanics are extraordinarily easy. All you have to do is hold the left shoulder button and flick the right analog stick to the right or left and your guy will pull off a deke. Of course, as soon as I successfully pulled off my first deke, I tried to take a wrist shot and wound up snapping my stick. It was a little disgruntling, but it was still pretty damn cool.

The final addition to NHL 11 to make its way into EA Sports' E3 demo was user-controlled celebrations. By using both the face buttons and triggers, players can access a large library of goal celebrations. The one I saw was essentially a guy sliding face-first down on the ice, hands outstretched. I was told there were plenty more to be had, but that's all I saw in my short demo at E3.

We'll have more info on NHL 11 as it becomes available. The game is scheduled to launch on September 14 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

It's sounding better and better :hmm: What's wrong with the last paragraph?

I hate user controlled celebrations. I hated it in FIFA too.

If they keep the goal celebrations realistic, then fine, but if they become silly, then it will get on my nerves. The last paragraph suggests silly celebrations.

The rest of it though ;)

I'll be the one pressing RB+LB to end it quick ;)

Spoilsport!Although after a couple of weeks of seeing everyone do them I'll probably feel the same.

Mick you are gonna love the new dekeing system, you will be busting out moves like a pro in no time.

It means nothing unless I can do the robot :hmm:

I hope they don't ruin anything with all the changes. Don't get me wrong, the improvements sound great across the board, but they're tweaking or flat-out changing some things that are pretty darn good already.