NHL 11

bradigor

Took Lucas skating today and he has been invited to train with the Invicta Dynamos youth team on Monday night. We were asking their coach about hockey lessons, he asked to see Lucas skate and basically told us to get back up there on Monday when the youth team train :)

Enjoyed that.

Played my first 1 V 1 for about 3 weeks tonight. Lost the 1st on pens, 2nd 5-3 (lost a goal after pulling keeper) then everything seemed to click into place with a 5-0 win. It could have been even better but hit the post on 3 other occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to say we are now the Elite Playoff champs after what must be said was a pretty easy 4 games.

Apart from the game where we were 2-1 down with 35 seconds to play it was pretty much a cake walk.

I think the results went 4-1. 3-2, 6-0 and then in the final we won 4-0.

I can now happily trade it in towards NFS on Tuesday knowing we are the champs. :D

I've been on my BAGM, loving the 12 minute periods, means I can play some proper hockey, hold the zones more and use more tactical approaches to the game. Online feels too rushed with 5 minute periods after playing on BAGM.

Sorry but this is slightly off topic but i'm trying to get into the NHL by watching it on ESPN America.

Can someone please explain what the fuck is all the fighting about? Are there rules to it? It seem the refs jump in after about a minute of handbags. Then your team bang their stick on the add boards.

He is a pros and cons list of fighting in hockey...

I know I said that I wanted to keep the focus on the games but this one is far too interesting to ignore. Clearly everyone is very passionate about this topic but I wanted to step back from the emotional element and try and to list the pros and cons of fighting in hockey - not necessarily my opinions but arguments I've heard/read over the years.

Feel free to add your own to the lists..

Reasons to Keep Fighting...

- most current fans seem to love fighting

- it's a part of the game

- players can police themselves

- less stick-work because players will have to answer for their actions

- star players are protected by enforcers

- a good fight can set the tone for a game

- fighting can inspire/motivate a team

- part of what makes hockey so great

- it's been said many times that violence sells

- the enforcer is often one of the most popular players on the team

Reasons to eliminate fighting...

- risk of injuries (potentially severe)

- vocal minority of fans are against fighting

- fighting is not allowed in any other pro sport, makes the game tougher to sell in certain markets

- kids are influenced by what they see and learn from their role models

- little fighting in playoffs/International hockey and that is as intense and high-calibre as it gets

- no fighting in International and college hockey and stick work is not prevalent

- enforcers sometimes steal the headlines from more deserving players because fighting is very high profile

- enforcers are taking jobs from more skilled players

- distraction from what makes hockey so great

He is a pros and cons list of fighting in hockey...

Thanks for the reply but after reading the pros couldn't you apply them to most sports?

Anyway i'm sure this is an argument that had gone on forever. I'm just going to try and

watch some games, pick a team and hopefully get a cheap copy of NHL 11,

Is Wayne Gretzky still playing?

No mate, he jacked it in around 1999, I think.

Plenty of excellent players around today though, Datsyuk at Detroit, Crosby at Pittsburgh, Ovechkin at Washington and Stamkos at Tampa Bay to name but four. Loads of great players at many teams.

Sorry i was being a bit sarcastic re Gretzky.

Have to try and split my time learning NBA stuff and NHL stuff now.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have started my BAGM and as it stands I can't go back online due to the up and down nature of the way people play. So will be putting in a big chuck of time to the offline modes before getting online again (with the odd EASHL games in between).

The latest sliders I got from OS are spot on. Really promotes good D and sees that you use good game intelligence all over the ice. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone still play this?

Me. I tend to just play 1v1 online. I joined a league and it gets me playing usually 2 games a week. It's a pretty well run league also with the emphasis more on just playing and enjoying rather than just the win. I think they are still looking for people to join the new season when current one ends in about a month.

If you are interested a post a link to the site.