NHL 11

bradigor

1st game impressions...glitchers are FUCKED.

Firstly, I played on Superstar, hardcore mode

It is really really hard to check centre ice, poke checking feels alot harder now.

Tactically you will have to work hard to stop shots coming in. But you can break things up purely by skating and getting in the way.

Faceoffs feel a hell of a lot more natural too.

The puck feels more random than it used to, which in turn sees the play being more scrappy, like you would expect in the real thing.

back with more later.

Oh one more thing...

Dear Ea,

Please, please, please, please make the AI in EASHL (BAP) be Superstar setting, the game I played in was brutal. They were nigh on impossible to break down, I really had to move that puck about to even get an opening.

So the slogan for this year... Any moment can be a WOW moment.

I am Chicago against Philly

35 seconds to go.

Brier tries to shoot the puck into the zone to get it deep the the other player coming from the other side.

The puck deflects of the D's stick diverting it towards goal and heading to the top corner.

Goalie literally flies (wrong footed by the deflection) across goal to keep the puck out.

Wins it back and covers for a faceoff

Philly pull the goalie and win the face off

They get the break and it goes in from a a shot that hits a player and drops to Hartnell to slot home.

I score in OT to win, thanks to putting bodies infront of Leighton in goal and force the puck to stay alive,

Once again, the new engine means that games will a lot more open and it really feels like the same moves won't work. I would suggest practicing NOT checking too much and try to get used to just skating and harassing.

Not impressed AT ALL. There are some positives and all that but I was not by any stretch blown away as I expected/hoped to be. What do you mean about glitchers, Brad? Because after my first 2 games I played a 3rd purely to test some of the glitches from 10, and the ones I know of (behind-the-back wrister, wraparound) worked pretty easily.

Deking seems better. Faceoffs obviously although not as good as I hoped. I sincerely hope the game speed in the full game is not that slow (since it can't be changed online)? It feels sluggish as hell.

Goalies are still AWFUL. I made a sort-of cross-crease pass and didn't even shoot but the goalie was already in the splits and giving up the top half of the net.

Overall, though, every game I played was mired by the ridiculous speed. The hitting is not impressive at all because it's so freaking slow. The big hits are nothing, and I had a few of them with one of the best hitters in the game (Chara was on my ultimate team).

Speaking of, is it just me or does ultimate team do absolutely NOTHING for you? The videos didn't impress me but I thought it would be better trying it out. I've gotta say, I got bored after a couple minutes and went straight to the game. I REALLY hope they haven't sacrificed major improvements to BAGM for this shit.

If you guys want to play a really good demo, try NCAA 11. That game is awesome. Tempting to get a US 360 just for that. :facepalm:

Well it looks a bit nicer and I like the new physics engine but and this is a huge but, the goalies are still utter shit.

I can still score on almost every breakaway which means I expect Mick will still be able too then which is a big dissapointment for me as that means scoring goals its just gonna be too easy again.

The new face offs don't seem a lot different either, I do like the slower pace though.

I played on Superstar Hardcore and cross crease passes were cut out most times.

Glitch shot attempts were parried away by the goaltender.

The pace felt right for me, it wasn't played at a stupid speed (but then again I did slow the game down last year too for offline)

Don't get the issue with faceoffs, having the variety improved things loads for me, especially being able to choose faceoff setups (Attacking, Normal, Defensive). On more than one occasion I was able to tie up the other Centre and then put pressure on their Defence when they won the puck.

Goalies for me were excellent at shot stopping and reactions, which led to some top scrambles in front of the net.

That said, when I tried the game on PRO it was way too easy and the AI felt a lot worse. However on Superstar and hardcore it was just right.

I take it no one else has had some weird graphics problem? My first run-through was fine, but the last two times I've turned the 360 on and played, I've had some weird overlay shit. Almost like a cable has fallen out or something, but it hasn't and the rest of the 360 is fine. :blink:

Holy faceoffs Batman there's alot of negativity in here.

I'm quite enjoying it personally.The slower speed does take some getting used to but I wouldn't be suprised if this is tweaked by the final build.

The checking physics are superb.No more stupid bouncing off players and I've already seen more different types of checks than the whole of NHL 10.

The faceoffs are miles better than the previous game and the option to choose setups is great.,

I haven't found the goalies too bad although I agree with Charles that breakaways don't seem to be any harder.I've scored quite a few already even while being checked.

The difficulty settings could with some tweaking however.Pro is far far too easy.You spend most of the time camped in their zone which becomes dull very quickly.All Star and Superstar settings are crazy though.The AI especially when attacking is amazing,using the deke skill moves alot and lethal in front of goal.It feels like there's a skill level missing bewteen Pro and Allstar but I suppose the Tuner settings will allow this to be improved in the full game.

Ultimate Team is a bit meh.I enjoyed it in Fifa 09 but it's leaving me cold in this for some reason.I'll give a chance in the full game but I imagine EASHL will take up most of my time.

Holy faceoffs Batman there's alot of negativity in here.

I'm quite enjoying it personally.The slower speed does take some getting used to but I wouldn't be suprised if this is tweaked by the final build.

The checking physics are superb.No more stupid bouncing off players and I've already seen more different types of checks than the whole of NHL 10.

The faceoffs are miles better than the previous game and the option to choose setups is great.,

I haven't found the goalies too bad although I agree with Charles that breakaways don't seem to be any harder.I've scored quite a few already even while being checked.

The difficulty settings could with some tweaking however.Pro is far far too easy.You spend most of the time camped in their zone which becomes dull very quickly.All Star and Superstar settings are crazy though.The AI especially when attacking is amazing,using the deke skill moves alot and lethal in front of goal.It feels like there's a skill level missing bewteen Pro and Allstar but I suppose the Tuner settings will allow this to be improved in the full game.

Ultimate Team is a bit meh.I enjoyed it in Fifa 09 but it's leaving me cold in this for some reason.I'll give a chance in the full game but I imagine EASHL will take up most of my time.

Agree with most of that. I cannot comment on breakaway goals, as I very rarely get them :lol:

I despised UT on Fifa and so far can't see me doing to much on that. EASHL will be where I spend most of my time too (and ranked 1v1). I will reiterate my hopes that the AI player in EASHL have Superstar difficulty settings.

Checking is impressive, there is more weight to everything. I managed to break another players stick as I checked him, then tripped and landed on his stick :lol:

Don't I get to play too?;)

In all seriousness though, I think the splitting of the team into "lines" was what really made a few of the lads wind down their playing of NHL 10. I (and some of the other lads) would like the opportunity to be able to jump in a game with any of you but with the lines it is difficult to do so.

I agree with Rich, once we split the team the games died off completely, think we'd be better with the old format of just whoever is on jumps in.

I had a quick half hour blast on the demo today, I like the hip-check, the faceoffs will take a bit of getting used to, I kept sort of just standing there fumbling around. The computer seems to score more which I suppose is a good thing. The poke check has been toned down. My only gripe is with the speed, I found NHL 10 slow to start with, this is obviously slower, hope that isn't the speed we'll end up with in online play.

Not sure what people mean by 'glitch' goals in this one, don't forget breakaways and wrist shots from the hash marks are high % shots in the game, as a goalie wraparounds are a nightmare to deal with, it's so hard to see behind you with all the padding on and a quick player can change puck direction and get it to the front before you see it, even if you manage to get to the post the difficulty comes from the rebounds which probably happen 50% or more of the time I'd say. Lets not get hung up on 'glitches' before the game is even out.

I agree Matt, the only glitch shots I worry about was the behind the body wrist, which I have seen work 1 in 10 for me (just testing it out). The goalies for me are much better with the wraparound goals and the AI seems to spot it and force the play away from goal too.

It has to be said though, authentic puck size + No shadow is awesome.

Played it a few more times and enjoying it more. I do tend to judge too quickly.

Speed is much better if you select normal rather than default. I've got no idea why they didn't set the demo up to play on normal. Surely OTP and 1vs1 will be at this speed, and a lot of people didn't figure out you've gotta change it in the demo.

Still not blown away by hits. Hip checks are real fun and the physics ARE great, but they just feel a bit...laboured. Need a little more oomph. Hopefully the sliders improve it offline; not sure what it'll be like online.

One thing I really like is that the game SEEMS (fingers crossed) to be much more sim than 10. Although I'm certain it'll deteriorate either a little or a lot, it seems less about your finger speed and more about your general hockey/gaming sense. I'm hoping the goalies allow the better-created shots and not the weak garbage we see so much of online.

VERY excited for the game. Duh. :blush: