Sonic Colours (Wii, DS)

Liquid Myth

Liquid Myth's post is entirely correct, bar one terrible example...

As a counter example, Capcom used their dedicated team to make Megaman 9 and 10, with instantly recognisable graphics straight from the NES. How? It's the same house that existed back in the days of the NES. They also do modern Megaman games themselves, and they do them entirely appropriately to the formula.

Modern Mega Man games, from the infamous X6 to the series continuations on the PS2, to the disappointments that was XZ and the Mega Man-in-name-only Battle Network series, are neither appropriate to the formula or good games by any right. So the only way forward is backwards and that's three steps forward, three steps back with the niche 9 and 10. Do anything to touch this antiquated approach, even in the slightest, and you get LittleBigMegaMen and everyone's back to being unhappy.

More related to the topic as a whole, Sonic, much more so than Mega Man and apparently more so than Mario, doesn't have the luxury to do that. When 9 was NES, the only real response was "Isn't it cute?" from a series that doesn't garner shelf space on HMV. At the moment, with stumbling and horrifically agonising steps, Sonic is moving in the direction it should, away from the horrors that were Sonic Heroes and Sonic '06. Oh, don't take me for a Sonic apologist, werehogs are shit and 4 is turning out that way but finally, finally! Sonic Unleashed gave us a glimpse of a next-gen Sonic people are excited about, more akin to a racing game or time attack than a bona fide platformer, and Colours looks like it might be a further improvement.

Liquid Myth's post is entirely correct, bar one terrible example...

Modern Mega Man games, from the infamous X6 to the series continuations on the PS2, to the disappointments that was XZ and the Mega Man-in-name-only Battle Network series, are neither appropriate to the formula or good games by any right. So the only way forward is backwards and that's three steps forward, three steps back with the niche 9 and 10. Do anything to touch this antiquated approach, even in the slightest, and you get LittleBigMegaMen and everyone's back to being unhappy.

Off topic, but the MM Zero games are fantastic modern re-workings of the MegaMan formula though. They may have stretched the franchise a bit thin in the last decade, but there's still some quality gaming there if you look for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Transformations Trailer

It was looking slightly promising until I saw that.

SEGA

STOP MAKING HIM CHANGE INTO THINGS

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

It could still be ok though, depends on how much you're forced to be a block instead of Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

The demo for DS Colours is around and, for all intents and purposes, it's a winner. Initially dismayed by the lack of trick-pulling and the homing attack no longer consigned to the R shoulder sponge (it's a double-tap so careful with errant button mashing), some repeated play suggests things are as excellent as you'd expect from a DS Sonic. The tension gauge is still present, still charged by attacking enemies and collecting aqua alien thingies. The extended duration from having a fully charged bar is absent, making for less wilful abuse. The level's a decent nick as well, apart from the brief hang-glider segment - at what stage will these sodding gimmicks be abolished, as unnecessary as they are - and multiple play has revealed a few nifty shortcuts.

Like Sonic 4, the homing attack has more range and is used to target springs too (the targeting reticule also makes a return). Unlike Sonic 4, it works, being less obstructive and the level design and heightened speed give them more credence.

Only one "Sonic changes into something else" is included; the red alien thingy. Activated with the "X" button, you turn into a kind-o- red squirrel thing that floats and explodes on cue. Explosions gives lift, as does destroying enemies and it works extraordinarily well. No problems here.

In any case, all systems go.

Inclusion of Sonic 4 in the renaissance of the franchise but omitting the Sonic segments of Unleashed? Obligatory "Isn't it good that this only really focuses on Sonic and Tails" despite that being the norm since 2008? "Robotn- erm, I mean Eggman"? Also, although I can't comment on the difficulty spikes but the review did smack of "I couldn't do it so it's too difficult."

A pointless comment, really, but that IGN review was utter shit.

Inclusion of Sonic 4 in the renaissance of the franchise but omitting the Sonic segments of Unleashed? Obligatory "Isn't it good that this only really focuses on Sonic and Tails" despite that being the norm since 2008? "Robotn- erm, I mean Eggman"? Also, although I can't comment on the difficulty spikes but the review did smack of "I couldn't do it so it's too difficult."

A pointless comment, really, but that IGN review was utter shit.

Eh I dunno, I liked Sonic 4. I only played it once at my friend's house and didn't beat it, but I liked it.

Got this today after reading some early reviews of the game.

Turns out McSpeed was lying, this isn't just a decent Sonic game, it's a fuckin' good Sonic game. The wisps don't change the core gameplay that much, and actually add to the experience as you can use them to find new exits and shortcuts in the levels, get a better rank and unlock secrets in the game.

One thing this game does really well is remove A LOT of the clutter of the other 3D Sonic games. No more stupid HUB worlds, no more idiotic medal collecting, nothing like that at all. Instead of that we have a simple world map with 7 acts per world which all feature some good old fashioned platforming action.

I played this at GamesCom earlier in the year, and back then the controls felt somewhat floaty, but looks like Sonic team really thightend them up because the platforming is really tight. Not as tight as the old Sonic's, but definately tighter then, say, Sonic Rush.

Speaking of which, if you liked Rush, then you should consider buying this NOW.

Oh, and if anybody got the impression that this is a 3D Sonic with 2D sections in it, guess again. It's more the other way around being mostly a good 2D platformer with some 3D sections thrown in the mix.

One other thing: the soundtrack is magnificent. There are a few stinkers, but theres plenty of upbeat...ehm beats in this game. A whole lot better then the bullshit rock and roll stuff we got a few years back. heck, i'd even say this has a better soundtrack then Sonic Rush.

Best console Sonic in YEARS.

EDIT: and a whole lot better then that Sonic 4 tosh we got a few weeks back. Blegh!

Curious to hear more about this. The reviews have been generally positive, and the videos look great.

Seems stupid of them to put together such a great game, whose biggest audience are going to be on the younger side, and then pepper it with ruinous difficulty spikes. Nothing worse than a fun game being spoilt by difficulty spike. :( Hello Castlevania. :rolleyes:

Got this today after reading some early reviews of the game.

Turns out McSpeed was lying, this isn't just a decent Sonic game, it's a fuckin' good Sonic game.

:lol:

Good stuff :) I hope to get it this week, although having just received Blood Stone and awaiting Hot Pursuit will probably make me wait a month or so.

Hey, hey, hey! Take it outside, fuckwits.

Colours DS is out there. A little dismayed that it follows the pace set by the console games, with cut scenes punctuating each act, an opening tutorial along with one for each new wisp and you don't even start with Sonic's full retinue of powers (although that comes in the second act). Mentions aside, cut scenes tend to last no more than twelve sentences and they, along with all tutorials, are entirely skippable.

Everything I previously mentioned in the demo turned out to be correct. This is good.

Eurogamer Review

Sonic Colours won't be for everyone. The humour of the interstitial cut-scenes leans to the preschool side of gentle, and in one way that's fine and dandy; kids will enjoy the game, and rightly so. For an adult, it can be a little too much to stomach. There are none of the cleverly-penned characters you might find in, say, a Ratchet and Clank, and the game as a whole is pretty old-fashioned in a lot of ways.

Depending on your point of view, that could either be a good or a bad thing. There are tried-and-tested action-game formulae in Sonic Colours, and while they're consistently well-executed, there's little inherently new or innovative on show. For me, Sonic Colours' pace and thrill-power overcome these concerns. It's a simple, neon-tinged blast of action gaming, and sometimes, that's all you really want.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-11-sonic-colours-review?page=1

:)