XxzGC.jpg

gCkhR.jpg

tMZrz.jpg

I9jRZ.jpg

8r01y.jpg

4GUlp.jpg

5NxEW.jpg

Nowgamer Preview

The Force Unleashed II opens with the familiar opening crawl and Lord Vader heading towards Kamino, the planet responsible for the Clone Troopers seen in Episode II. Starkiller is being held there in chains, his memory fractured, with only flashes of his past remaining; glimpses of Juno Eclipse haunt him. “Vader explains to him that he’s a failed clone and that he’s using an accelerated process here on Kamino that allows him to grow these clones in a matter of months. Unfortunately, that process has a lot of side effects and it drives subjects insane. This is something, actually, from the greater continuity we’ve pulled in,” Blackman continues, perhaps justifying the setup.

Could he already be sensing a growing backlash from fans, claiming retconning lunacy? Ignoring that for now, Starkiller escapes his bonds. Emerging from the facility, he manages to cause as much destruction and death as you’d expect from someone with the Force brimming from his every pore.

“Before he escapes,” continues Blackman, “Vader reveals that Starkiller was being prepped to kill a Jedi. In fact, it’s Jedi General Rahm Kota. He’s been captured on a planet called Cato Neimoidia and he’s being held by Imperial forces. Vader was intending to send Starkiller to execute him. Knowing this now and also knowing that Kota could be his last link to Juno and the Rebel Alliance, Starkiller sets off to find him.”

It’s here on Cato Neimoidia that we get our first glimpses of the potential that TFU II has to surpass anything accomplished in the original. Not only is it a Las Vegas-styled city, perfectly capturing the oppressive nature of life under Imperial rule, but it’s an excellent showcase for the refined DMM (Digital Molecular Matter), Havok physics and Euphoria anim

ation engines.

It’s here, on the bright, neon-lit planet, that Starkiller finds his old ally, fighting in a gladiatorial arena. Getting to Kota is easier said than done, though. Once the dust has settled and the last Stormtrooper has finished slowly slumping against the wall, the skyscraper-sized auditorium shakes. From the darkness, a creature that Blackman has ominously called the Orloc roars. “It’s positively huge; it’s the biggest thing we’ve ever done,“ he says. “One of the hallmarks for The Force Unleashed II will be these big boss battles, instead of just focusing on these mano-a-mano fights.” For a universe as densely packed and fleshed-out as Star Wars, it’s always fascinating to see new places and creatures, especially those glimpsed in the films themselves. “Cato Neimoidia is a planet we see very briefly in Episode III. It’s an archway planet so it has all these giant stone and metal arches with huge cities.”

We’re tentatively shown a glimpse of the Orloc boss in-game; it’s all muscles and teeth, snarling at the impassive Starkiller. Enormous chains hold weights, dangling off the ends of its arms, smashing into the scenery. Blackman’s right: it’s much bigger than anything seen before in The Force Unleashed. Starkiller runs beneath, dodging attacks and generally looking about as threatening as a fly, but as quickly as we’re getting settled in, it’s time for us to move on. This is just a glimpse, after all. Kota and Starkiller are reunited and it’s off to search the galaxy for Juno or strike back at the Empire, and in a narrative sense this couldn’t feel more like Star Wars. As Blackman lays out a full half of the story, we’re told that not only is TFU II fulfilling the expected Empire Strikes Back, ‘dark’ entry to the series cliché, but it’s also looking more than likely that Dagobah and Yoda will also feature, drawing further parallels to what is considered the pinnacle of the films. Starkiller will even have to enter the Dark Side Cave, many years before Luke gets anywhere near it.
“You weren’t always thinking about your tactics [in TFU], and we wanted people to think more strategically and to use everything at their disposal. We decided, with TFU II, to focus on far fewer enemy types, but make each one kind of special and unique in many ways. You’ll still have Stormtroopers, but now melee units have a lot more abilities and different tactics.” Bigger combos and generally more impressive Lightsaber antics are a given on something like TFU II, but more exciting for general combat are the possibilities that Mind Trick and Force Fury bring. The former will turn enemy units over to you, who’ll then fight alongside Starkiller, giving you a chance for some backstabbing antics, while Force Fury takes the already insane action and essentially gives it a ‘rage’ mode.
“All of your powers are totally amped up,” explains Blackman. “You’ll have brand new combos as a result. Your Force Lightning, which would normally only hit a few small targets, will now hit everyone on screen. Your Force Push, which hits someone like a cannon ball, will now send entire groups out into orbit. It’s a really nice continuation of the Force Unleashed theme.” Even with placeholder effects for Force Fury, it’s easy to see the direction in which it’s heading: this is a far more confident game, with respect to both its storytelling abilities and now also its tech. Blackman mentions that better pacing and more of a focus on puzzles will break up the action, as the game’s way of combating much of the fatigue felt by players from TFU’s constant onslaught. This is a technical powerhouse of a game – its physics alone are staggering – but as a platformer or puzzle game, the original was a disaster. Simple puzzles and jumps made for exhausting exercises in patience, as death was dealt out by a camera intent on showing you the worst possible angle. Switching back to the rather more satisfying Force Unleashed II, the camera seems, thankfully, a lot more restrained.

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/previews/xbox...d-2?o=0#listing

:ph34r:

Read a big preview of this in Play, and sadly they still seem to be under the impression that the story in the first game wasn't a load of pap (but they won an award!!111), and have come out with the surely-now-a-cliche "it's darker!" comments.

The game itself sounds pretty-much like the first, only a little bit more.; from the preview it doesn't seem much has changed in the mechanics of it and currently I'm underwhelmed about it. I didn't realise the first one sold around 8 million though; that in itself I guess is reason enough to not change the formula.

Read a big preview of this in Play, and sadly they still seem to be under the impression that the story in the first game wasn't a load of pap (but they won an award!!111), and have come out with the surely-now-a-cliche "it's darker!" comments.

I couldn't believe that either. It was a contrived mess; plus, that

kiss scene at the end

was adolescent pish.

Even by Star Wars standards, that story sounds like pure, concentrated, Grade-A horseshit. Why the fuck would Vader pussy out and send some crappy Sam Worthington clone to kill a Jedi when he's more than capable of fucking a dozen of them six ways sideways himself? Reading that makes me want to go and buy a 'Kreia was RIGHT' t-shirt.

Looks decent I guess. Though I find it a shame the main character still looks like he's a Poser 4.0 generic-template-man-with-no-custom-settings, how utterly vague and un-empowered. The protagonist in something like this should look totally ace and be totally recognizable, spawning a million spin offs 'n comics n figures n shit.

First one was an inept effort, surprised they've squeezed out a sequel for it

The first one was extremely successful.

Plus, whilst a lot of people seem to dislike it, whilst I thought it was far from perfect I still enjoyed the force-powered combat enough to see it through (being able to grab stuff with the force and fling it, as well as use force lightning liberally was pretty fun). It was no God of War, but I didn't think it was terrible either.

Im not a gorehound by any stretch of the imagination but I cant bring myself to play another star wars game where I hit someone with a blade of pure energy and they dont fall into a satisfying heap of accurately modelled body parts however. I get the whole focus on the last game was on awesome force powers but I personally never gave a shit about that. I just wanted to charge around swinging a lightsabre like a demented samurai.

Will it steadily use the Havok stuff less and less as the game goes on in favour of locking you in areas with lots of enemies? Clearly that stuff was expensive in development time to integrate into the environment and they ran out of time or something.

Im not a gorehound by any stretch of the imagination but I cant bring myself to play another star wars game where I hit someone with a blade of pure energy and they dont fall into a satisfying heap of accurately modelled body parts however. I get the whole focus on the last game was on awesome force powers but I personally never gave a shit about that. I just wanted to charge around swinging a lightsabre like a demented samurai.

Why do people accept soldiers surviving multiple shots to the face with real world weapons in literally hundreds of games, but as soon as it's fictional laserswords they throw a fit and demand realism? :(

Will it steadily use the Havok stuff less and less as the game goes on in favour of locking you in areas with lots of enemies? Clearly that stuff was expensive in development time to integrate into the environment and they ran out of time or something.

Why do people accept soldiers surviving multiple shots to the face with real world weapons in literally hundreds of games, but as soon as it's fictional laserswords they throw a fit and demand realism? :(

Because you still have the 'take loads of shots' stuff in Star Wars games as well! You should reserve the Lightsaber for situations where you can literally cut stuff in half. Anything else is just stupid, lazy design.

It's nothing to do with 'realism' and all to do with wanting the films' uber-weapon to get the same treatment in game form.

To be honest I find most interpretations of sword based combat similarly unsatisfying. I take your point but then we're talking about something specific to what I find personally satisying. I didnt really mean it as a criticism of the game (I can easily empathise and accept the reasons why they wouldnt develop a game where you could chop people into sushi at your own leisure!).

If I shoot someone with a gun in a game invariably ill be at a range where I can assume the weapons accuracy is lost or its range might have made it more ineffective (whether its a realistic interpretation of that gun or not I can accept it because I know nothing about the actual realities of a firearm).

Actually physically hitting someone with a laser sword and it not cutting through them somehow robs it of its obvious potency to me and gives it the appearance of a glowing baseball bat.

Again. Not a criticism of the game. Personal preference thats not grounded in anything wholly logical.

Well I liked the first one (story and all) it was brilliant, but it was solid fun. Some refinements could have made it better.

The fact that your force powers got "weaker" as more and more enemies became immune got annoying towards the end - but I still really enjoyed it.

Quite excited about this one. The "awakening" trailer got me going - but then I love some inspiring rousing incidental music <_<

The fact that your force powers got "weaker" as more and more enemies became immune got annoying towards the end - but I still really enjoyed it.

I wonder if this is part of why people didn't like the original; maybe the way in which you chose to level up your powers had a massive effect on how playable the game was. For example, I put everything into Force Lightning when I could, which never ceases to be useful.

Collector's Edition

wVGuY.jpg

Guaranteed to get Star Wars collectors and rabid fans alike in a lather, The Force Unleashed II Collector's Edition is definitely on the way for the game's release this autumn.

Boasting a fancy slipcase, which houses a steelbook copy of the game with a bonus disc and a cartoon Starkiller USB memory stick, the edition looks super-slick and sexy. Yes, the Starkiller USB Flash Drive does look a bit odd with its gigantic head that lifts off to reveal a USB interface, but it's oh so cute and collectible, storing 2GB of data with a pre-loaded Force Unleashed II digital art book to boot.

GameStop is currently listing the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Collector's Edition for $79.99, so it'll set you back an extra $20, but hey, it's bonus Star Wars stuff. Who are we to argue?

Check out the full list of contents:

* Premium Collectible Steelbook

* Exclusive In-Game Content

* Three exclusive challenge mode levels

* Exclusive character skins

* Exclusive Lightsaber crystal

* Exclusive Mimobot USB Designer Drive Preloaded with Bonus Content

* Starkiller 2GB Flash Drive designed by Mimobot

* Digital art book, featuring insights into the art of The Force Unleashed II

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/ne...-s-Edition.html

Wow - the animation and lighting in that video is amazing, even if it does look more like Terminator with lightsabers. I do wish they'd just stick with the stuff from the films rather than trying (and failing) to come up with new stuff that just looks too out of place.

Talking of which, look at the films and then the main character - who has cropped hair and a metal shoulder thing like that? He doesn't look star wars-y at all. He needs a 70's mop of hair and some ex-military costume tarted up a bit.

Wait a tick, I don't get this at all...

The last game had two endings, didn't it? One was supposedly canon, where the apprentice sacrificed his life to let the original members of the alliance escape, and the other was non-canon, where he kills Vader and Palpatine and becomes the new emperor? (I've not actually seen the second one mind).

So is this not actually a sequel? Is it a re-imagining or something? How do the events in that trailer reconcile with the original game? And Vader having loads of Starkiller clones; does that make any sense whatsoever?