Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2

The Sarge

Think i'll give this one a miss until I can pick it up cheap. It's definately improved (the visuals are pretty gob smacking and it controls fairly well) but there's still something a bit disconnected about the combat to me. I might change my mind as the thread swells with people who play the actual game start voicing opinions. Demos aren't always the best way to judge a product of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I played the first few levels anyway. It's nice in a blast through kinda way, but so far I've been a bit too powerful with the new Jedi Mind Trick in particular. I'm enjoying the customisation again, picking which force powers to upgrade, and equipping certain lightsabers in each hand gives you specific bonuses too.

Hopefully the difficulty will ramp us as the game progresses, but so far it seems like a definite rental.

Another "Gold only" demo :facepalm:

They just put me right off buying the game. Do the publishers NOT want me to buy it? What difference does it make to them if I'm Gold or Silver?

And lots of them stay locked as well and never become available to Silver users (eg Transformers)

if you care enough you can set up a new silver account. they get a month's gold membership for some reason.

Right. Played the demo (behind the times I know).

There's clearly improvements from the firsts - and the game looks/runs lovely. But it still feels like more of the same. You can tell from here that the demo's the same as the first - massively suped up Force powers early in the game.

I fell for that last time - and then latter 2/3's of the game were horribly dissappointing since I had suped up Force powers, but all the enemies were immuned.

I loved running through the level tearing down everything in my path - but it wasn't a challenge. The only things that seemed to be a challenge were the annoying bosses, and only then because I was trying not to be cheap and just ranging them down...

I like it, and I know I'll pick it up soon - but it's likely to be cheap fairly fast, and with Fable 3 on the same day - I think the pre-order is getting cancelled.

A rental as Crhis said appears to be about right for this. Based on a few reports, the game is supposedly only 5 hours long (medium difficulty, with looking for various holocrons), I know that doesn't really matter (Vanquish, for example is only 5 or so hours long) but unlike that marvellous creation, this doesn't appear to offer any kind of replay value beyond finding a few holocrons and unlocking powers.

Considering how many other AA/AAA titles are coming out over the next few weeks, this might be one the one to rent/pick up in the sales. (I'm still undecided, I loved the demo and love all things SW anyway, but I'm not sure if I want to drop £40 on a game that probably won't be played for a couple of months and it'll probably be cheaper by then as well.)

So will melodrama. There have always been short games, and there have always been long games. The only difference I've noticed recently is that there are more single-player-focussed games that don't bother with the kind of padding that was once standard, and I consider that something of a blessing.

As Sarge says, the value of those five hours is completely dependent on what the developer puts into 'em. It's not the end of playing games on your lonesome.

Yup, I'm more than halfway through Vanquish (just over 2hrs on the gameplay clock, but it strangely feels like more) and I've had more fun in those '2 hours' than I've had with a lot of others games this year.

I'm hopeful this is the same, but there doesn't appear to be much info about the individual areas/levels yet. (that said, the different locations should be better than the first game, it's just the gameplay/replayability through those levels that's the unknown factor.)

:)

Game Informer Review

A shadow of its former self. The graceful gameplay offers a higher level of excitement, but the plot and characterization – two large components from which I expect great things from any Star Wars journey – makes this experience one of 2010′s biggest disappointments.

PMmun.jpg

Slightly disappointing score, but after their Vanquish review it's hard to take GI seriously. Still definitely interested, will see what other sites/mags have to say before deciding when to buy it.

Who gives a shit about the plot, seriously? It's cobbled together hokum drivel just slotted in to give some reasons to be being an awesome Jedi dude. If the second one has less effort made with story, and more in the actual game, I'd be very happy. Fewer/no randomly immune enemies slotted in with no justification just to toughen things up would be great.

The enemies and how to deal with them:

Fodder: Deal with however you want.

Jetpackers: Lightning

Dash disappearing guys. Lightning to keep them in one place. Attack.

Two lightsabers guys: Basically immune to force and saber. Melee or jedi mind trick.

Sith Acolyte: Immune to force. Lightsaber them.

Rocket robot: Block/parry rockets, QTE.

Ice/Fire robot: Saber throw, QTE.

That's genuinely all there is, and for most I've listed the only way you can defeat them.

But, you know, it gives you different combinations of them... :/

Who gives a shit about the plot, seriously? It's cobbled together hokum drivel just slotted in to give some reasons to be being an awesome Jedi dude. If the second one has less effort made with story, and more in the actual game, I'd be very happy. Fewer/no randomly immune enemies slotted in with no justification just to toughen things up would be great.

It's always nice to have a somewhat decent plot in games like this. I thought they had a pretty decent storyline all set up following the last DLC for FU1, it's such a shame they didn't follow on from that. (DS Luke & Cyborg Starkiller taking down the Emperor would have been a pretty good plot.)

Thanks for the impressions, Crhis. :)

Unlock Guybrush Threepwood

"This can be done just after smashing a frozen door towards the end of level 2. You come into a room with three Guybrush statues all looking at a Jabba The Hut hologram. Stand on the platform of the hologram and you will hear The Monkey Island Theme playing. Force push all the items in the room and a Red Holocron Costume will appear. Collect it to unlock."

The costume appears as a hovering block above the three machines that were in front of the hologram; just jump to collect it and change costumes in the menus.

Eurogamer SLATED it

Whatever went down behind the scenes, the result is a game that sometimes resembles a flavorless tech demo for The Force Unleashed – not a worthy successor. While there are certainly pleasures to be had in The Force Unleashed II, they come off as the dregs of a concept that has run its course. The series was bound to exhaust itself someday, but the fact that it happened this early is a brutal disappointment. 5/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-26-star-wars-the-force-unleashed-ii-review

The campaign is only 3 hours long! Glad i rented instead of buying!! :unsure:

Cripes. Is there much replay value beyond looking for holocrons?

I was tempted to pick this up when I bought Fable 3, managed to hold strong and very glad I did. I'd be pretty steamed right about now if I did buy it only to finish it hours later.

Should have happened to the first game, twas awful.

EA chug out crap sequel shocker. I thought they'd changed their ways..!

EA? Lucasarts are the publishers and developers of both games. :)

I thought the first was pretty good, I know some hated it because of the repetitiveness and that Death Star level but the rest was decent enough and the story was above average for a Star Wars game. Obviously nowhere near as good as the story from either Knights games or the Jedi Knight games, but good enough. I expect it'll sell well though, but there'll be plenty of pre-owned stock before or just after Christmas.

Anyway, it's a shame Lucasarts haven't bothered with any more Jedi Knight games. Would have liked a sequel to Jedi Academy or at the very least some closure to Katarn's story.

Vicarious Visions must be free to work on it?

Should have happened to the first game, twas awful.

EA chug out crap sequel shocker. I thought they'd changed their ways..!

Erm...surely this was developed by Lucasarts, no?

Either way, disappointed to hear this isnt very good. The original TFU was a real surprise for me, i picked it up cheap last december, and was totally surprised by how great the story, acting, and cutscenes were. The gameplay was fun but flawed, but it was stil a really enjoyable game, and i had high hopes for a sequel. They really shouldnt have gone down the cheap and easy 'lol starkiller isnt dead its cloning lol' and couldve gone with the darkside ending (lets just pretend starkiller didnt kill vader, just seemed like it) and this game couldve been his journey to redemption with the light side. I mean fucking hell i came up with that idea in 2 seconds and i think its a million times better than bringing back a dead character with the explanation of 'lol cloning'.