IGNORED

Motorstorm Apocalypse

Moz

Played the demo of this at Gamescom, really liked it :) Feels like proper arcade racing, especially the A to B racing stuff.

Don't really like the 3D though, but then I don't like 3D gaming on the PS3 at all. The 3DS does a much better job right now, imo.

You have a 3DS?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fellow Motorstorm Fans,

So it's no secret that I absolutely loved Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, but having so little friends on my PS3, it was only a matter of time before I got bored playing by myself.

As the release date for Apocalypse gets closer and closer, I am reminded how much I loved the game and wanted to get back into it before Apocalypse comes out. It seems that a lot of people on rllmuk missed out on it as well, so I invite rllmuk to play Pacific Rift every Sunday starting January 23rd, at around 8pm.

Fellow Rllmuker Karzee has found it for 8 bucks will hopefully post the details later. In that time all interested parties should have it well before the 23rd. Aside from Dead Space & Bulletstorm, the release list is pretty empty for a while so this could be a great time waster.

Hope you guys join up and ill see ya on the dirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Split Second with even more destruction. I really didn't get on with the last game, as beautiful as it looked it felt dull as dish water to play and i think it was oddly down to the sound effects...or lack of them. In fact that trailer proves how crucial sound is as whilst the game looks a blast there the music chosen just made the game come across as boring.

Evolution really need to get their sound guys to play Split Second as it's wonderful music score and sound effects really made the game feel all the more frantic. I'll be waiting for the demo hoping this game adds that little something that was crucially missing from the last game, although im well aware many people loved the last two games so maybe it's just me.

I enjoyed the previous game and don't remember the sound being bad, but I agree that is a pants trailer thanks largely to the music over it with no effects. It also seems to show the cars moving kind of independently of the ground they're driving over, looks a bit weird. Possibly because it's a genuine replay and it'd look better when actually driving from first-person, I dunno.

Looking great, as always. I've heard (on the B3D forums) you're still targeting 1080p for the game. Sounds ambitious! Will you be using a similar res switching trick as seen in Wipeout to achieve that?

The game will support 1080p in 2D & 720p in 3D. And yes we use a similar technique to that seen in wipeout HD.

And here are some new screenshots:

1_2003_20.jpg

1_2003_19.jpg

1_2003_16.jpg

More images here

Given that the last two didn't have this feature, it's a bit wishful thinking to reckon it'll be any different this time.

The inability for gamers to save and upload replays in a lot of racing games always seems like a missed opportunity to me. It gives gamers the chance to show everyone their skills or bloopers, which in turn causes more discussion and laughs, which then shows other gamers how much fun people are having it and maybe convince them shell out for a copy. The gamers get more enjoyment and the devs/publishers get more sales. It seems like a win for everybody.

If I could have easily uploaded replays of some Rllmuk online shenanigans in Blur then I reckon it'd definitely have raised it's profile more.

Looking very good. The first Motorstorm still 'has' it, the graphics, now almost 2-3 years after its release are still very impressive.

Rushy, any words on the difficulty? I seem to remember Motorstorm 2 having some annoying difficulty spikes toward the mid / end.

Looking very good. The first Motorstorm still 'has' it, the graphics, now almost 2-3 years after its release are still very impressive.

Rushy, any words on the difficulty? I seem to remember Motorstorm 2 having some annoying difficulty spikes toward the mid / end.

Oh god yes. I still have 2 races from each area I still haven't gold. Especially those damn atv races! Some of those last tier races are just ughk...

Don't worry, the difficulty curve is much smoother this time round, and also the qualification requirements to progress to the next race are more relaxed. Of course you can still strive for first place to unlock stuff :)

There are still really challenging races for those who want them in a menu called Special Events - you can replay the campaign races at harder difficulties and with harder requirements there.